Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2008, 09:48 AM  

"Just A Dog"

Im sorry but my dogs and cat are like my kids. A slap on the wrist for this police officer is just not enough! I know there are always two sides to every story so Cheif Williams needs to release the video so we can all know what happened.

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/local...221112459.html

And another thing, I would like to know which vet these people take their dog to ! If my dog is in bad shape I would like to know that my vet will come to help me. In fact our vet has done just that on a Sat night at 8PM.

?If you can't convince them, confuse them.?
Old 08-16-2008, 08:59 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immis View Post
Im sorry but my dogs and cat are like my kids. A slap on the wrist for this police officer is just not enough! I know there are always two sides to every story so Cheif Williams needs to release the video so we can all know what happened.

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/local...221112459.html

And another thing, I would like to know which vet these people take their dog to ! If my dog is in bad shape I would like to know that my vet will come to help me. In fact our vet has done just that on a Sat night at 8PM.
Utterly appalling. I really hope that officer gets in trouble.

In fact, ask a K9 police officer if his dog is 'just a dog'...

If it's just a dog, why can you be charged with capital murder of a police officer if you kill a K9 officer? Obviously animals are not inanimate objects that are easy to replace, and the officer should have had compassion for that.

Besides, what officer needs 20 minutes to write out a citation?

Old 08-17-2008, 04:17 PM  

Just a Dog?

Dog / God

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-21-2008, 04:40 PM  

To Protect And Serve

To Protect and Serve
Who did the officer protect?
Who did the officer serve?
Now it's on CNN and the whole world is watching. I respect all our police officers and firemen because they risk their lives for us. However, one officer screwed up royally and acted like a total AH. He should be fired. People have been fired for a hell of a lot less. If the Chief of Police doesn't fire Stephens soon, he should go too. Paul Stephens has embarassed San Marcos and it's police force. If he had any dignity Mr. Stephens would resign.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:24 PM  

Barney Fife

I feel so very much better now that Officer Stephens has been "reprimanded and counseled". Perhaps he should be allowed to carry only one bullet on his person and not in the gun. Chief Howie Williams does not seem to be able to fathom the depth of anger generated by Barney's, er Paul's actions. If the Chief of Police thinks this is not indicative of greater judgmental problems in Officer Fife then what are we to think of his own ability to perform his job as a servant of the people. I'm calling for the resignation and/or termination of both Officer Paul Stephens and Chief Howard Williams. Now.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:55 PM  

Barney & Boss

You go, girl. I'll second that. If Stephens couldn't figure out in 20 minutes that he was screwing up, when will he. And if the Chief can't figure out how bad this all is, what is he on? Why didn't some of the other police officers who showed up straighten Barney out? How many twisted cops we got? Do we need a citizen review board? One little crack in the rotten egg has let a lot of stink out.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:22 PM  

Dumb Cop, Dumber Chief, Even More Dumber Mayor

Well now the mayor has piped up and supported Pauly. She's right that the situation doesn't warrant "death threats" (I won't say that I believe they're made up to get sympathy because some people consider pets to be family and will get hot about it). But threats or not Pauly came up far short of what most people expect from an officer of the law. The mayor's support for him shows her lack of character. This isn't a case of the city versus the citizens. If they make it so we'll just have to use the power of the ballot box to show them who they work(ed) for.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:58 AM  

I’m sure it’s pretty obvious that I’m going to side with my dog in this case, while recognizing the laws, officer’s jurisdiction, poor judgment and they City’s whitewash and while agreeing with the court of public opinion that the apology, ticket dismissal, reprimand and counseling fall way too short. A desk job, demotion and dismissal would be a good start, since this officer failed to understand the difference between the letter of the laws and their spirit. That lack of understanding can cause a lot of unneeded suffering and even death. Let’s not forget embarrassing, unwanted local and/or national media attention.

This story raises some interesting thoughts, especially in context. Let’s consider the last time San Marcos-based police action garnered national attention, when a local citizen was arrested for saving drowning man. The citizen didn’t think that police standing around on a riverbank was good enough, did the right thing, saved a man’s life and was arrested for interfering with police business. Granted these were university police, egged on by the San Marcos Park Rangers and their leader, but was anything done about it beyond dropping the charges against this citizen? Between these two extremely unfortunate events, we’ve had a couple of controversial cases where the police shot citizens and an overzealous code enforcement department attacked a planter, leading to a first amendment battle.

I’m sorry, but police business shouldn’t and doesn’t have result in death or first amendment battles over correct procedure. And I’m sure that various local officials would agree that police business shouldn’t result in embarrassing, unwanted local and/or national media attention and public outrage, although it seems an almost necessary medicine for solving problems at police HQ and City hall. And that, my friends, is the real problem here: the fact that it takes that kind of attention and outrage to affect change that is for the most part too little and too late. Officer Stephens’ discipline was too little and too late as was the apology. What else will be done? Will the police chief resign or be fired? Will the mayor step down? And one question that nobody else seems to have asked is will the San Marcos Economic council actively seek an emergency veterinary hospital? Perhaps one of the local veterinarians could step up and fill this need?

I for one don’t want to be put in a position of having to decide between public safety and my dog. Or an officer’s career or life. Or the police chief’s career. Or the Mayor’s. My dog’s not just a dog, and getting another one won’t be the same. I could easily be calloused myself and just say “Relax, it's just a police officer, chief or mayor; you can always get another one…” So could this town!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:20 PM  

I'm glad to see that the mayor is looking into brining an emergency veterinary facility here. We need it, and hopefully we can avoid this unpleasantness in the future.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:46 PM  

Emergency

A 24 hour emergency veterinary hospital would be great, but we would still have an ignorant cop, an out of touch chief of police and an arrogant mayor. They all serve us. They don't seem to understand that.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.