Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2007, 10:41 PM  

San Marcos
How funny (I guess).

I was just sitting here typing and looking out the window and someone came flying down the street and blew through the stop sign here, while the passenger threw a beer can out the window.

Happens all the time. I've often thought of saving all the trash I pick up and taking it to a Council meeting.

I can't say if they were renters or not or if they were students or not and I don't really care. The fact of the matter is that property owners are a minority in this town and I need Council members who understand that this is not acceptable and I am not overreacting and in denial about living in a college town, when I complain about it.

Kyle prison audit? That sounds like a problem for Kyle and the prison to me.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:11 PM  

San Marcos
Quote:
Originally Posted by brete View Post
Were Immis and Norton with the Bose campaign? How about it guys? Someone who was with the Bose campaign emailed me and asked if I knew who Norton was, still don't.
Looks like Norton was banned. I still have no idea who half these people are. Of course, nobody knows who I am, so I'm not complaining about that. Still, if they are/were working for a campaign, they ought to disclose that much.

Well, I'll retract that.

If they are/were working for a campaign, they should post some positions on some issues. Otherwise, they are no better for their candidates than I am, which is to say, not very.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:31 PM  

I think that if you look back on this forum and its previous posts it's obvious who was on whose side here. Immis and Norton were obviously working for Bose, despite the constant "from what I heard" approach to things because they knew things that only "insiders" would know. It is also no secret that nondescript (Brad) and myself (not giving away my identity yet, but certainly not Mat Golding) were working for Jude. But that doesn't change the fact that everyone else that posted on this site accused us of running a dirty campaign. That is your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it. But, my main question to those in the middle of it all is, why only us? I just brought into attention many things done by their side that was obviously very immoral and yet the attention remains on it's a scary thought that we're so young and involved. My biggest issue is the double standard in place here. That double standard carries over to many other issues, but it starts right here....
Old 11-16-2007, 06:13 AM  

San Marcos
Actually Equalvoice, I've made it clear over and over that the behavior on both sides was unacceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-native View Post
Just to throw my 2 cents in, as someone who had nothing to do with either campaign, neither made me particularly proud to be a citizen of San Marcos or particularly excited about my options.
As for it being "scary that you are so young and involved", that's not something I have ever said and if you infer that, it is probably because you have a chip on your shoulder about being persecuted.

I said that my biggest issue is the rift between the renters and the owners and I asked repeatedly for Jude's position on that very issue. Not getting any real answer, I was left to make my own assumptions. If those assumptions were wrong or upset you, that's on you, not me. Not only did I ask very specific questions, but when no clear answer came, I told you guys what my reaction was and the conclusions I was drawing and I asked again for a position.

There was a large, vocal group, defining this election as Jude and the kids on Sagewood against Bose and the unreasonable neighbors. That came from people on Sagewood, btw. It was also positioned that way by people on the Prather side, right here. Someone (I don't have the energy to dig up the post right now) went on and on about how the city was persecuting the "minority group" that is the students. You realize that the students outnumber the property owners 2 to 1, right? You realize that there are more students than any other adult demographic in this city, right?

So, I do not think it was unreasonable to try to figure out where the savior of Sagewood notion came from and how accurate (or inaccurate) it was. I wasn't demanding to know about discharges or other immaterial crap. I had a few very specific issues. Issues that were a surprise to nobody.

I should be a politician's wet dream. I have an incredible pain that is not being addressed by the current Council members. I told you exactly what I needed to hear and I was ignored. It was like the John Kerry election all over again. Some of us who are frustrated with how things are going were begging for a viable alternative, but you spent more time bashing the other guy than giving me a reason to vote for you.

Maybe I wasn't as concerned with Bose's dirty politics (although I think I was pretty vocal about that too) because I had already made up my mind that he was not doing what needed to be done. I was begging you to give me a reason to vote for your candidate and you blew it.

Now, you're still bitching at the voters, like *any* of this is our fault. Other than the poor turnout, it's all on you guys and some of the poor turnout is probably on you, too.

We're the customers. If you don't reach us, that's not our fault. If you're waiting for me to take the blame for Jude not getting elected; to stand up and say "I was unreasonable and this is all my fault", don't hold your breath.

The reality is, while I am not opposed to voting for a student, many here are. You had two choices - try to get both sides united behind you, or play up the division to try to mobilize the students behind you. From the outside, it appears that you took the easy way out, chose the latter and failed. It is even apparent in your tone now. You seem to have disdain for the non-students and you try to project that onto us.

Even if you had succeeded in the election, that divisive play would have been (just as it is now) no good for this city. Nothing would have gotten done. Just as nothing will probably get done now.

So, thanks for that.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:36 AM  

First in politics two wrongs don't make a right, it just makes the whole system look bad.

Second if the Bose campaign did stuff it didn't end up in the paper or on here, except in post by obvious Prather supporters or by Immis and Norton, who in my view were exteme enough not really to be credible. If they were dirty, they didn't leave fingerprints. But that still wouldn't make it right.

Remember in campaigns there is dumb, negative, and dirty. Ya'll hit the trifecta for reasons I still can't fathom.

http://www.78666.com/forums/showthread.php?t=845

and the campaign folks on here still haven't answered.

Jude Prather should have a promising future in public service, I just hope he has learned not to hire friends in campaigns, they are too hard to disagree with when they give bad advice and won't always tell you an idea is bad. Not sure which way that one worked, but something went very wrong in that campaign.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:10 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EqualVoice View Post
Immis and Norton were obviously working for Bose

Just for the record. I am a Bose supporter but was not working for the Bose campaign.

?If you can't convince them, confuse them.?
Old 11-16-2007, 08:48 PM  

My comments were not referring to any student vs. non-student dispute. My comments were aimed at the idea that in the hind sight of this campaign, people have said things about how we ran such a dirty campaign. I was only clarifying that our actions, in my opinion, were no "dirtier" than out opponents. The main difference was that we didn't go public with alot of things done against us. I think we didn't say a lot of those things until too late because we were afraid of the criticism of not being tough enough to handle the negatice side of campaigns. Our opponents did not fear that criticism and was quick to go to things like message boards with things like that. Probably one of the places where we could've done better, but all the same our actions were no worse than theirs.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:40 AM  

Most of my post election critique has not so much been kicking you guys as wondering why you ran the campaign the way you did. Prather should have been an almost bullet proof candidate had the campaign been run better.

Personally I would have stayed off this board though, I am sure the moderators are happy for the boost you gave them. Before you guys started posting on here, you only needed to check 78666 about twice a week to keep up. This was a slow traffic site, which could have posted anything and only the 12 of us that checked it might have seen it.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:49 AM  

San Marcos
Yes, the low traffic count may make this a poor investment for the campaigns, although there are quite a few lurkers and who knows what conversations this site sparks "on the outside".

I think that, leaving the traffic issue aside, there is great potential here. Candidates can share their ideas and voters can give feedback and get clarification. Maybe some voters will come away with a better understanding of the candidates' plans. Maybe some candidates will revise their plans, based on feedback.

Assuming the issues are discussed, that is.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:21 AM  

Forums and blogs are the mine fields of public opinion. Stay long enough something is going to blow up.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!