Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2011, 05:00 AM  

Canyon Lake, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I'm guessing the locals would have had different names for the characters.

Like I'm sure not everyone refers to Michael Jackson guy as Michael Jackson guy. Well I don't know what else you would call him, but you get the point.

A lot of youtube is converted old film. I have hope someone caught him on video, and that we can track him down.
I never heard him called anything but Dan or Grasshopper...and I think those truly classic local icons get known pretty universally. Everyone knows Leslie is the Queen of Austin or at least "that homeless cross-dresser!"

And you will know it if you find him. His head was shaved except the hare krishna top-knot. Always dressed in all green, riding a green bike. And his jacket had Krishna-Rama across the back in big letters (yellow? white? can't remember) He had the squirrel for a while, but he was around a long time. He was pretty tall and skinny and I think he wore (at least sometimes) John Lennon glasses. Some of the old school San Marcos underground guys like Joe Ptak or David (rest his soul) and Rose from The Hemp Store probably knew more about him just by virtue of being connected to the local scene at the time.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:17 AM  

San Marcos, Texas
If anyone is interested in further pursuing this quest, then it would probably be wise to try and get in touch with Joe Ptak, Rose, or someone else from that bunch. They (or someone they know) would likely have a lot of insightful information to offer.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:55 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsoh9 View Post
If anyone is interested in further pursuing this quest, then it would probably be wise to try and get in touch with Joe Ptak, Rose, or someone else from that bunch. They (or someone they know) would likely have a lot of insightful information to offer.
I think most people wouldn't know where to start.

I've been in SM for over year, this is the first I've heard of those guys.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:59 PM  

San Marcos, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I think most people wouldn't know where to start.

I've been in SM for over year, this is the first I've heard of those guys.
Rose is the proprietor of the Hemp Store located downtown at 232 N. LBJ. She is there at least a couple days a week as of last I heard.

Joe Ptak is the former operator of KIND, a local broadcast pirate radio station. His exploits earned him several interviews and mentions in published media, so I am sure that a good Google search would turn up enough clues to find him. Alternatively, his contact information may possibly even be obtainable through Rose or another prominent local figure.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:56 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsoh9 View Post
Rose is the proprietor of the Hemp Store located downtown at 232 N. LBJ. She is there at least a couple days a week as of last I heard.

Joe Ptak is the former operator of KIND, a local broadcast pirate radio station. His exploits earned him several interviews and mentions in published media, so I am sure that a good Google search would turn up enough clues to find him. Alternatively, his contact information may possibly even be obtainable through Rose or another prominent local figure.
I'll ask around, see what I come up with.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:25 AM  

San Marcos, TX
I saw where someone was looking to maybe locate Joe Ptak, last I heard he was running Planet K. Remember when the city tried to make them remove their car, it was he and Furly that fought against it.

Any local should know about Grasshopper, if they dont, they aren't much of a local. His name was William Penneck or Pennick (sp?). He kind of faded away after pulling a gun (or BB gun, depending on whom you ask) on a kid in front of what is now Wine Cellar. The teen apparently was taunting him repeatedly. He lived over at the storage facility by Goodnight, and worked a lot of odd jobs, including fixing the video games at Diversions (where wine cellar is now). He was called grasshopper because of the outfit he always wore. He also used to have lots of gold chains and from time to time have either a cat or a squirrel riding on his bike with him. For the most part he was harmless, and would spend most of the day swimming at the falls with the rest of us, back when you could swim in them. Hope this helps!
Old 09-26-2015, 07:17 PM  

Austin, Texas
i happened to google the term grasshoper and san marcos, and found my original post here. i thought i would check in to see what else was found. i did happen to email rose several years ago after someone in the forum stated she might know. she did remember him coming into her store often and she told me she would ask around and get back to me. i never heard back. i also emailed the planet k like someone also mentioned, but never heard back. i bet someone out there has a picture of him even if it was an accidental photo. would be great to see one. also any information would be interesting to learn what ever happened to him.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:00 PM  

I,too was wondering what happened to him and googled the same thing you did just tonight and found your post. I remember Grasshopper in the early 90's when we used to come to SM from Austin to swim. Wasn't his bike a tall bike? I clearly remember his shaved head and pony tail and him always waving and being nice. He was like the 90's' Frisbee Dan. I grew up in Austin and spent alot of time downtown in the 90's and early 2000's. I dont remember ever seeing Grasshopper in Austin.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:06 PM  

Austin, Texas
osteo4n6 is correct. his name is/was william penneck/nick. the last time i lived in san marcos and saw him was in 1996. in 2012 emailed rose who remembers him well and she promised me she would find out his whereabouts, but she never replied back. i also emailed planet k with reference to joe ptak and received no answer. i check in on this post every once in a while and i am glad to see the topic is still active. looking forward to seeing someone post a pic and also give us some more info. on him. maybe a relative of his will post a reply. i am sure he would have an interesting history.

[
Old 08-25-2016, 04:15 PM  

Austin, Texas
i think this is him. pennock. however, the link is based on 1998 info.

http://bailbondcity.com/texas/hays-i...Pennock/982067

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!