Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2010, 09:12 AM  

Rockwall
Mexican Food in San Marcos

So many to choose from...

When it comes to breakfast tacos--- I must say Lolita's has it going on. Maybe they should be open odd hours of the night to appeal to the drunk college crowd, they would be rolling in the dough!

What's your favorite local mexican food joint?

Old 10-21-2010, 09:28 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Los Vega, I used to like Casa Maria's quite a bit, but I found multiple hairs in multiple occasions. I agree that SM needs a good late night taco shack. They are all over Austin, I don't see how it wouldn't work here, the only issue is it would need to be close to the university.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:56 AM  

Rockwall
I think it would make a lot of money. As it stands now, the only late night Mexican place open all night is Taco Cabana. Taco C literally has a line all night long, especially near or around 2-3 AM. It's okay food, but not as good as you can get at a local hole in the wall.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:24 AM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
I stopped going to Taco Cabana after getting food poisoning.

Los Vega, Garcia's, Los Cucos.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:16 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora06 View Post
I think it would make a lot of money. As it stands now, the only late night Mexican place open all night is Taco Cabana. Taco C literally has a line all night long, especially near or around 2-3 AM. It's okay food, but not as good as you can get at a local hole in the wall.
At 2-3 people just want to eat with no consideration for quality or taste.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:50 AM  

Rockwall
Very good point lol.

I ate at Herberts the other day, it's actually really good and the service is awesome.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:59 AM  

Houston, TX
Herberts is good but Garcias is probably the best in San Marcos! I absolutely love their chicken nachos and their queso. MMMMMMMM

And about Lolitas - I totally agree. Should totally open from 1-4 in the morning, I don't know how many times I would have gone there if they had had those hours. For the longest time I thought they only had breakfast tacos then one day I realized they had chicken tacos and those are the best tacos in town!

Someone needs to open a Ropollos on the square. Late night PIZZA!! I know Jimmy John's gets a lot of business at those late hours I'm sure a late night pizza place would do good!
Old 10-26-2010, 09:27 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Where are Herbert's and Lolitas?
Old 10-26-2010, 09:56 AM  

Rockwall
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstatevb View Post
Herberts is good but Garcias is probably the best in San Marcos! I absolutely love their chicken nachos and their queso. MMMMMMMM

And about Lolitas - I totally agree. Should totally open from 1-4 in the morning, I don't know how many times I would have gone there if they had had those hours. For the longest time I thought they only had breakfast tacos then one day I realized they had chicken tacos and those are the best tacos in town!

Someone needs to open a Ropollos on the square. Late night PIZZA!! I know Jimmy John's gets a lot of business at those late hours I'm sure a late night pizza place would do good!
1) I LOVE Garcias chicken nachos, I get them every time I go there.
2) I think it would be a great business move for Lolita, college kids would go crazy over her late night tacos. My roommate gets the chicken tacos there, I've never tried them so I just stick with my potato, egg and cheese breakfast taco with guacamole
3) As for the square, I think that Valentinos gets a lot of business from the bar crowd. The slice window is open until 3 am. They have the right idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Where are Herbert's and Lolitas?
Lolitas is on Aquarena, between the stadium and Los Cocos (connected to Lolita's car wash).
HErberts is hidden. It's on Riverside, which is off of Hopkins. If you are heading towards the Highway, it would be on your left.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:29 PM  

san marcos, texas
Herbert's gives you the first round of chips and salsa for free and then charges you for any more. They're like chips and salsa drug dealers, you know you gotta have another round.

I grew up eating at the original Taco Cabana in S.A., but the one here in town is awful and has made me sick and messed up my order too many times. Someone that used to work at a TC's in S.A. said that they use green peas to make the guacamole go further. That's just wrong.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!