Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2009, 02:36 PM  
Unregistered

Microchipping of Pets

What are your thoughts on the forced microchipping of pets in San Marcos? Starting April 1st, pet owners will have to microchip their dogs and cats.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:48 PM  
Unregistered

Great idea. Pretty standard in most cities' animal shelters. It is painless to the animal and if you lose your pet and someone turns it in, they can call you.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:46 AM  

San Marcos
I'll pass. If I lose one of my pets, all of the vets and the shelter will hear from me long before they find it and they'll hear from me regularly until they find it.

Most of the pets that are put down at the shelter are abandoned, not lost. If someone abandones their pet, is the city going to track them down and force them to keep the pet? How will that work?

These are not locator chips, so they will not help anyone find their pet. They only help identify the pets that are found.

A) I don't know if they cause tumors or not.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...800997_pf.html

B) Also, call me crazy, but I don't like the idea of the government mandating microchip implants in anyone/anything. This makes part of me wonder if the next step is mandatory implants in people, because of all of the runaways and kidnapped children, perhaps with the successful pet microchipping cited as supporting research.

C) The city needs to start getting some work done and stop passing regulations that it can't/won't enforce.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads