Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2008, 04:51 PM  

The Ouroboros

I stand by my post.
I quoted you and responded to that quote. I did not mention Mr. Newman.
You made an assumption and posted a lot of meaningless numbers that proved nothing.
I agreed that a reservoir would be expensive and pointed out that it would only get more expensive.
You continued to make assumptions and an emotional argument over an issue you are inconsistant about.
I am, at this time, neither for, nor against a reservoir.
The way things are going we might get another CCC to build such things on the federal dime. In that case, I would support it.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:18 PM  

Jefe/Jeep...Don't worry about it. TP Gilmore is getting into the water supply business. He will sell the city all the water he tells it to buy.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:00 PM  

Good Old Boys Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisher View Post
Jefe/Jeep...Don't worry about it. TP Gilmore is getting into the water supply business. He will sell the city all the water he tells it to buy.
If that's true, I'm sure you're right about the city (Mayor) doing whatever he says. There are a lot of local families with more money and land but none with more political power.
TP's mouthpiece, Bill Cunningham, was once elected to the city council as a "student radical". Turned out he was a right wing radical. There was even a famous exchange at council when an ex-army officer, also a councilmember, complained about Bill being more right wing than him (his claim to fame). He didn't see a fellow ultra-conservative, he saw a turncoat. Bill ran for office a number of times after that but nobody trusted him. He has, however, managed to make a good living as a spokesperson for the despised.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:46 PM  

For the Record:

I would like to say thank you to my supporters, and to those who remain, that if elected, I will work equally and diligently to represent your issues and concerns in a forum of open and transparent city government here in San Marcos.

Concerning the LWV debate and the suggestion that I would immediately construct a reservoir, please let me say this: the comment was in response to a rapid fire question that required a solution and explanation all to be delivered within the time frame of one minute. This is a complex problem that will require years of study and group input, to determine the optimum course of action. More than likely it will require a combined number of approaches, as our water requirements increase, and the scarcity of water becomes more of a limiting factor on our continued population and economic growth. It was suggested to me in one of my water discussions with a resident here in San Marcos, who comes from West Texas, that a local limited size reservoir could be a solution. She pointed out that each town in West Texas had a reservoir, and why did we not take that approach here in this region. I replied that we had Canyon Lake and Lake Dunlap, but that we still had to pipe it to San Marcos and other than that, I did not know why the concept was not utilized more here in the region.

I only mentioned this in the debate as a possible solution, not as my concrete plan for San Marcos' future water needs. There are a lot of other valid approaches as well, to potentially consider, including those that have been mentioned right here on this thread. Please though,...I will always listen to any and all input,...just in case I might have the misfortune one day, to wake up and find myself to be indeed, without a clue.

As for the original topic of this thread, I would like to make the following post:

Hello Everyone;

Thanks again for taking an interest in our city.

I have held back with my comments on the blogs here on-line in San Marcos, but in reading Mr. Arredondo's letter, and the comments and misunderstandings that it has generated, I feel that I must make an attempt to clear this up.

First of all, our city spending is out of control. Our city debt has doubled since 2004, and in round numbers it has increased from 40 million to 80 million dollars during these last four years. We just expanded this figure by another 4 million dollar corporate bailout at our last city council meeting, although it was by a 4 to 3 vote on city council with our current mayor breaking the tie, in favor of the giveaway. When it comes to our streets and sidewalks and neighborhoods, we have a hard time finding the money, but when it comes to padding the pockets of millionaire corporations and/or helping them out with their "mistakes" we always seem to be able to scrape up another million or two, to slide their way.

The point is that we need to cut back on our city spending.

In proposing a workable solution to this, when I began my campaign at the end of August of this year, I suggested a ten percent target budget cut from each department, NOT to include salaries. This was to be from EACH city department (water/wastewater, electric utility, public works, parks, etc.). In no way was I singling out the police department, and in addition, it is my intent to ?AIM FOR? this ten percent figure, but use logic, good judgment, and common sense as the guide. Endangering the public or ?cutting medical services for sexual assault victims? was certainly not part of my program, nor will it be. That is absurd. As I said, the spending cuts in ALL DEPARTMENTS will be made in terms of cutting the waste and excess, not the necessary public services. I hope that is clear to everyone.

The San Marcos Police Officers Association endorsed Susan Narvaiz in the late spring/early summer of this year, before I announced my candidacy in late August, so in light of that alone, there was never a question of whether they would back me over Ms. Narvaiz in this mayor?s race. I view the contents of Mr. Arredondo?s letter more in the context of a politically motivated letter, rather than one written out of true concern for the ?issues? that are mentioned.

I say this exactly because I spoke with Mr. Arredondo face-to-face at a neighborhood meeting on Franklin Street on October 19th, and answered these (his) exact questions on the issues of neighborhood safety, and his perceived concern of patrol officer cutbacks. At that time I ASSURED him that there WOULD BE NO POLICE OFFICER CUTBACKS, and that clean, quiet, safe, neighborhoods were at the VERY TOP of my priority list. He seemed to register this information, and yet the same queries are repeated here in his letter to the editor. I can now only speculate as to the underlying motive, and reason for ignoring my statement to him and conjuring up these unfounded concerns which are essentially at this point, non-issues.

I have the feeling that in addition to endorsing the current mayor, the San Marcos Police Officers Association reacted sensitively to my remarks at the ASG meeting. I was speaking in a context on specific issues that would be of particular interest to the 200 or so university students that were present in that auditorium. These topics included professional career opportunities for university graduates here in San Marcos, the 2:00AM bar hour non-binding referendum which Ms. Narvaiz put on the Nov. 4th ballot, the critically overdue need for bike lanes, sidewalks, and pedestrian friendly streets, as well as the subject of neighborhood relations between our university students and the established homeowners and residents. I told the students in attendance there, that I would hold them as citizens and adults, accountable for their actions while they are living here in San Marcos, but on the other hand, they deserve equal treatment when they have contact with the police and our city departments and offices. I mentioned that I would emphasize a high level of professionalism to be adhered to, and I think that in most cases we have that here in San Marcos already. I mentioned in contrast however that when one of our departments does something that makes national news, it does not make us look good as a city, and can be embarrassing. Again, the concept of PROFESSIONALISM AT ALL TIMES is the key. When a remark is made to the respectful reply to a police officer?s question as to one?s occupation as being a college student, as in namely ?that figures...?, it is a breach of police bearing and professionalism, and those types of attitudes and actions should be addressed and corrected as a department philosophy, coming from the top down. In the incident that I am referring to, I DO indeed support the officer?s handling of the situation up to that point with the circumstances leading into that particular incident. We are all human and we can, and do make mistakes. I do feel however that professionalism is akin to body armor when it comes to one?s career. If a mistake is made, and one maintains a high degree of professionalism along the way, then that will go a long way in the forgiveness of that mistake. If however, the incident takes place in an atmosphere of unprofessional behavior, then that opens a multitude of opportunities for criticism.

And,...please understand; it is not my objective to criticize the San Marcos Police Department, nor any other department. It is my duty as a candidate for mayor to identify areas for improvement in the workings of our city processes, and bring them to light in accordance with the discussions and concerns of those constituents out there that I have been talking with at length over the past two months.

I would make the request that the readers of this letter use their own common sense and judgment about what is really at issue here, and take that information and knowledge to the polls. We DO need to make some extensive course corrections in our city government process. As I have said repeatedly, we are at a critical juncture in our city development. Our spending and our public debt are sky-rocketing, we as a city are now committing the equivalent of living on our credit cards, and we MUST tighten our belts now as a community. We are ALL doing this at the present on a personal level, and as a city we MUST resolve to take this measure that we all know in our hearts and in our overall conscience, that it is now time to face. This issue is crucial, and it is growing critically overdue, and is compounding daily and in fact at this very moment.

This in contrast and in reality is the clear and present danger that we now see, staring us squarely in the face.

Thank you for your time in reading this, and I ask for your vote and your support on election day.

Sincerely,

David M. Newman
Candidate for Mayor of San Marcos, Texas
Old 10-27-2008, 05:16 PM  

Dave,
Disagreements aside, I do want to say that I appreciate the you taking the time to post here, and apologize for calling you an idiot. That was too strong, and you've got far more guts than me by putting yourself in a position where it's impossible to please everyone. Personally, I can't wait for this political season to be over. I hope everyone's blood pressure will drop... Best of luck.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:46 PM  

roger that....

I appreciate the nod there Mr. Jefe, and yes,..I too will be relieved when the election season is done. But then,....there's always the spectre of....the runoff !!! Yikes.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:23 PM  

For The Record

Hear, hear. Well put, good fellow. Nothing quite clears the water of murky innuendo and slanderous vaguities like a well reasoned and written defense of one's positions and convictions.
Where light shines upon the truth, lies have no mooring.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:18 PM  

Ditto. Sorry for the no clue crack. Thank you for running and brining these very important issues to the forefront for a vigorous debate. It would have been demoralizing for the current mayor to run un-opposed and un-challenged on critical policy issues.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:21 PM  

phat cops

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom View Post
Arredondo campaining for Susan? What's new. If you don't know the Arredondo/Narvaiz connection then I doubt your active in the community.

did Arredondo write that on tax payer time? He writes good political pieces if he actually wrote that, reads just like a campaign flier. Patching together statements to make the current Mayor look good.

cutbacks are a must. San Marcos has a massive LEO budget compared to other cities. We have more LEO to citizens then most other Texas cities.

one comment about reservoirs lost your vote for him despite our massive water problem and rates? What a simple minded voter. I can see how idiots keep getting elected, they are voted in by their fellow kind.

i think san marcos is too dumb not to vote out the current mayor. most people have no idea what's going on behind the scene and no clue the strangehold she has on council. i wish my fellow citizens would attend council meetings and had a grasp on the issues, also wish we had some decent bipartisan new sources. newstreamz is owned by a land developer who bleeds out such bias stories it's absurd but san marcos sucks it up like holy water.
Mr. Arredondo, is one of those kids that was genetic born short and was bullied during recess throughout his elementary education and is now extracting his pound of flesh and his only expansion is not his wisdom but his waist size.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:45 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Newman View Post
I say this exactly because I spoke with Mr. Arredondo face-to-face at a neighborhood meeting on Franklin Street on October 19th, and answered these (his) exact questions on the issues of neighborhood safety, and his perceived concern of patrol officer cutbacks.
Hmmmm, on Newstreamz Danny Arredondo said he wasnt at the Franklin Street meeting. Just wondering.

?If you can't convince them, confuse them.?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!