Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2004, 12:24 PM  
archer658

Paper Bear- Shop at Your Own Risk

I just wanted to let everyone know what happened to me at Paper Bear today. I went to make a purchase with a credit card, and everything went smoothly until the clerk handed me the slip to sign. I saw my whole credit card number written on this receipt, and so I scratched it out, leaving only the last 4 numbers. She told me that it was illegal to do this, which it is NOT ILLEGAL TO PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION. I told her it was illegal for her to print the complete number on the receipt. Several businesses, the majority really, store the number for their purposes in a computer and only the last 4 digits appear on the slip. Congress passed this law last summer because high amounts of credit card theft and fraud occured when people stole these receipts from merchants, and when dishonest employees of these companies stole the slips themselves. I refused to allow her to reprint the slip. She explained to me that if their systems broke down, they'd lose all the money unless they re-entered it. Interesting how the majority of businesses out there safeguard themselves against this problem without antagonizing their customers. I then asked for a refund, which she supplied, but failed to give me a documented receipt for this refund. Instead, she gave me the old receipt with "Void" written on it. When your computer systems are so old that they don't even print a new receipt when a return is done, it's a good sign you need to update your systems. Get the with the 21st century paper bear.

I highly advise anyone who plans to shop there to use cash only. Paying by credit card at businesses like this is basically leaving your purse or wallet unattended in the middle of a public place all day. *Maybe* nothing will happen and you'll be safe, but there's a godo change something *will*.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:16 PM  

Oh man. It's people like you who make working retail fun.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:29 PM  
A2

How much was the item you where purchasing?
Old 09-01-2005, 10:42 PM  

Talk to Carol

Someone ask for Carol or Cathy and explain the new law. I'll let em know next time I'm in there, if I remember.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:24 PM  

archer, good observation. ive shopped at paper bear before and used a debit card and never inspected my reciept. i'll keep this in mind if i shop there again. thanks.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:16 AM  

I wonder how long it took...

I just read this thread and remembered that I had gone to Paper Bear last month. I checked my receipt and was please to find out that they are no longer printing the cc#...only the last 4-digits and exp. date, but I am curious about how long it actually took for them to update their system...

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.