Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2011, 09:31 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Phoenix Rising

I went to the Farmer's Market this weekend and bought a loaf of their Jalapeno Cheddar bread.

Wow. The texture was spot on. Having grown up since the invention of sliced bread I'm used to a highly processed minimally textured product and although I bake and am generally a culinarian, I think fondly of these type of breads.

With just enough texture to keep it from being wonder bread without the course graininess of a lot of artisan loaves this bread found a happy middle ground.

With chunks of cheddar and light jalapenos (there could have been more) this bread hit the spot in a way I think most people have forgotten bread can.

What we did not finish at dinner I finished toasted the next day for breakfast which kept me filled and moving till lunch.

At $6 a loaf it's considerably more than the $1.59 "wheat" bread from the store but this is not the type of bread that's going to sit on your counter and wait to be platform for a mediocre sandwich.

This is good bread, and what good bread should be.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:45 AM  

Did you get any of Mike's coffee as well?

Old 11-08-2011, 07:28 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Mike was not there. I wish he was. I'm thinking he might be headed to the Wimberley market and not tha San Marcos one.

The one in San Marcos is very small.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:31 PM  

Phoenix Rising Bakery

Thanks for your wonderful comments on our Cheddar Jalapeno Bread, it's our signature bread...very popular!

Steve Blank
Owner/Baker
Old 12-09-2011, 04:23 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
We have a lot of really nice bread up here in Montreal, and I used to always have some sourdough starter for my own breads kicking around until kids and stuff got in the way.

Too many people in NA don't have a clue what good bread is all about, but after checking out your site, I think you do.

Bake on!
Old 12-10-2011, 05:55 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBlank View Post
Thanks for your wonderful comments on our Cheddar Jalapeno Bread, it's our signature bread...very popular!

Steve Blank
Owner/Baker
I'm glad you could join us Steve!

I look forward to trying the rest of your selection. So far I've only caught you at the Farmer's market but look forward to venturing your store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
We have a lot of really nice bread up here in Montreal, and I used to always have some sourdough starter for my own breads kicking around until kids and stuff got in the way.

Too many people in NA don't have a clue what good bread is all about, but after checking out your site, I think you do.

Bake on!
It's got me into baking again. After a loaf of something high quality you can't go back to the stuff from the store.

I tried some HEB Store Brand the other day and it's like eating cardboard now, flat, flavorless.

I think what we've done to bread as a culture is terrible. Once the staple of life is now an eternal product (it seems) that only serves as a conveyance to meat and mayo.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:47 AM  

Dang it Austin. Now I'm craving that bread and I will have to drive 1200 miles just to get some. Does Steve ship?
Old 12-12-2011, 08:42 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
I don't know.

Hey Steve do you ship?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!