Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2006, 10:59 PM  

Rio Vista Dam Project

Im just wondering how everybody else feels about the plans for Rio Vista Dam. I am a fishing addict, and rarely a day goes by that im not either on the blanco or sm river whenever i can find a day to sneak out after class/work or whenever. Im wondering what the "artificial rapids" will do to the river...if you think about it that dam holds a lot of water and supports the slow moving area above the dam. With the dam being turned into rapids just for tubers and kayakers (which i think is a good cause but at the cost of a stable environment for fish), the water level will drop a bit in that area and the water will run a lot faster. Any thoughts on the topic are greatly appreciated...plus any info on a good fishin hole are always appreciated as its been really slow lately.

Old 04-04-2006, 07:17 AM  
A2

The river levels will not change.
And basically the dam will still be in place, just covered up.

Go check out the Model they have set up at the River Foundation Offices, it's pretty cool.

I was completly against the dam project ( pun intended ) untill I did some research on exatcly what they are going to do and the company that is going to do it. Now I think,,,well I hope, that it's going to be a good thing. I just hope the Kyakers don't forget that they have to share the river, and they should give as much as they take. I live a few hundred feet from the Dam, and have been keeping a close eye on the progress.

Instead of the 5.5" drop the Rio Vista Dam has now it is going to be broken up into 3 little drops, with a combination of Man Made and Real Boulders. The mural wall will be tourn down and a sloping hill put in it's place, ala sewell park. Their doin' a ton of **** out there.

If you having trouble catching anything, try top water. That's all I use, year round. And I don't talk about honey holes...Loose Lips Sink Ships.

Old 04-04-2006, 05:58 PM  

thanks for your input on the dam project, i will have to go check out the plans. you pretty much just made my day cause u took my point of concern and turned it around and im pretty amped up about the project (now that the water level will stay the same).

as far as fishing goes, i went out today to my little sneaker spot and was working a scum frog across lillies and came up with a 2 1/2 foot gar on my third cast. then i got cocky with it and went for a big boy that totally snapped my line...gar may not be a game fish in Texas but they sure put on a show when you do catch them.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:04 PM  
A2

Funny you should say that....I was in Rileys in Hunter early this evening and heard some old boys talkin' bout some dude caught a 45 pound Gar, somewhere on the San Marcos....didn't hear where.

Here's a link to the blue prints for the Rio Vista Dam Project, let me know what you think...

http://www.txrivers.org/images/rio_v...tch_lo_res.jpg

The dam Model was moved from the River Foundation HQ to the Lbrary and it's been moved from there and I don't know where it's at now, but that print pretty much shows everything....

A2
Old 04-04-2006, 07:03 PM  

it looks really good on paper...its just hard to imagine how it will be when put into action. i really like the fact that they arent going totally tourist crazy on it and making it a schlitterbahn ride. plus the in-between pools should make for some decent fishing in the off season, or in season if you dont mind catching the occasional tuber. all in all i give it two thumbs up. instant turn around on my opinion of the project as a whole
Old 04-09-2006, 07:41 PM  

Thanks for the Link to the Blueprints

Hey A2,

Thanks for that link. I'm a total river rat and love my kayaks. I am totally stoked about this project and am hopeful it will increase our river enjoyment. In town rapids! How cool is that? I paddled with two others from Pecan Park to Shady Grove today and it was wonderful. The water level is low so it took a couple of hours, but that has nothing to do with the project. We just need some rain. I'm always up for a river run if anybody ever watns to go. I have two Ocean Kayaks. All Ocean Kayaks are sit on tops so it goes without saying. Easy to learn and only slightly harder to master. I'll barter my time and a boat for some fishing tips.

Thanks,

Cotton
Old 04-10-2006, 12:33 AM  

barter a boat for fishing tips ehh? well im no great kayaker by any means of the imagination, but i am a broke college student who has fished every spot in san marcos that you can get to. i have my consistant spots where i hit at least twice a week, then there are those holes that you just can't stand to have constant poison ivy even if the smallmouth flock like the salmon of capistrano...im always down for fishing of any sort and would be willing to pass on some half ass fishing tips for some half ass kayaking tips anyday.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:38 AM  

Done!

Hey jhav543:

Consider it done. We'll just have to schedule it. I just started a new job and am getting adjusted to my new schedule but I should have time in the evening at least a couple of days each week. The cool thing about kayaking is that for the most part, once you buy the boat and accessories, your expenses are pretty much over. So anyway, email me at scojo@grandecom.net and we'll set it up.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:40 AM  

im pretty booked up this week and until after easter as i start my unsuccessful job search here in zero-unemployment rate land. after easter ill hit u with an email and we can figure it out. im definately down for it though, there's a whole lot of river out there that is just totally unaccessable from land im pretty thrilled at the opportunity to get on it. until then, try throwin some 1/8 oz roostertails and scumfrog topwaters.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:48 PM  

Holy Crap!

Have you gone by and seen the Rio Vista dam lately? It looks unbelievable. This place is gonna be one of the premier swimming holes in the world. Good job San Marcos!!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!