Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2005, 10:27 AM  
A2

...The Root Cellar...

Went to the Root Cellar (old wesrays) for the second time today. I don't usually mention restaurants to people, 'cause there's only a handfull that I would put my name behind. With that being said, The Root Cellar is one of the best restaurants I've been to in a long ass time....anywhere.
The place is really comfortable in side. Different types of antique tables, great lighting for great art.
Menue is simple, not TOO fancy, and suprisingly cheap. ( Reminded me of really nice hotels, room service, breakfast and lunch menue, with out the insane price)
Took two fine ladies there for lunch today and without the tip it was 20 bucks. Can't beat that.
My wife had a huge turkey sandwich, her sister had some funky lookin' keisch ( ?spell but you know what I mean ) that she said was awesome, and I had a half order waffles with two sausage patties that looked like each was a quarter pounder. Couldn't even finish it.
So ya know, go where ever ya want. I don't care. In fact I should be telling people NOT to go there 'cause once the word get's out how good it is, I'll have to wait the next time.

Sincerly,
A2
www.sposm.org

Old 04-26-2006, 10:22 PM  

Ok I just want to say, I read a review in the University star that said almost the same stuff, but my experience at the Root Celler was much different.

After reading the reviews, my friends and I went there. It was not cheap. And while the ambience and art on the wall was really cool, the service sucked. I didn't even get my drink refilled. This may have been due to us coming in at a quarter till three, and they close at three. However, it never occured to us that any restaurant downtown would close at three. Are the owners not interested in making money?

Apart from not being cheap, the food was not very good at all. I mean, a seven dollar sandwich should at least be a GOOD sandwich right? And I'm not talking about a seven dollar seven inch sub, I'm talking about chicken salad on a regular sized slice of bread.

The salad was awesome, however. Some kind of rasberry dressing that was delicious.

anyhoo, to sum up:
Way too trendy. We already have one Blue Goat in town, we don't need two.
NOT affordable.
Cool art, good salad.
Closes at three.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:16 PM  
A2

I'm not sure if I would take a resturant review from someone who think Dominoes is the best pizza in town....

lol
Old 04-27-2006, 06:57 PM  

nobody else but pizza hut makes a thin and crispy pizza, and I just can't stand a chewy, bready pizza. Anyway, they have boko on their website! I have to support bobcat pizza, ya'll!
Old 12-02-2006, 11:03 AM  
A2

That original post of mine is a little over a year old and I thought that while everyone was so hyped up on resturaunts I would mention that we went back to the root cellar last month and it wasn't nearly as good as before. But still ok.

A2
www.sposm.org
Skatepark of San Marcos
Old 06-28-2007, 05:22 PM  

I Love the Root Cellar

I agree wholeheartedly. Everytime I trek down to SM I eat at the RC. Check out my post on Food and Drink!
Old 07-08-2007, 10:35 PM  

Sounds interesting, where's it located?
Old 07-09-2007, 07:30 AM  

San Marcos
North LBJ @ Hopkins. It is one block north of the courthouse, on the left, in the cellar.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:51 PM  

Root Cellar

My husband and I went to the Root Cellar upon a friend's reccommendation the other night. We are admittedly a bit 'foody' so have a certain expectation of any eatery whether moderately or high priced...and we both left, sadly disappointed. I remembered from a previous visit that they prided themselves on the freshness of their ingrediants and I could definately tell that I was eating really fresh food (which was nice) but unfortunately, both of our dishes were VERY bland ( let me stress very). The ambience was comfortable and yes, the art nice but I think what comes on the plate needs to be nicer than what's on the walls. E for effort but it really fell short of a satisfying meal out. Would I give it another try? Yes; one more. 2.5 out of 5 stars.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:54 AM  

San Marcos
Bummer. It's been several months since the last time I ate there. It sounds like it might be going down hill a little. If so, that is unfortunate.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads