Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2011, 10:12 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
San Marcos Auto Outlet

I've been looking for a new car for a while now. I've been to all the dealerships around town, especially the smaller ones as I like to keep my business local.

First a couple of observation on the state of car buying in San Marcos. Used doesn't mean bad condition, nor does it mean the dealer can't fix it up a little, so when I ask questions like why have these tires not been replaced due to dry rot and the response is "It's a used car" (Jason at The Trading Post) our interaction is over.

I see your job as a salesmen to be courteous and informative while still trying to make a sale. I acknowledge it's a tough profession especially with the economy the way it is but still a little consideration and a non combative attitude should be your top priority.

To this degree Barry at Texas Auto Traders off of 35 did great, I wish he had more of a selection, but ultimately it led to an even better experience at San Marcos Auto Outlet.

The home of Dodge and Nissan in San Marcos, The San Marcos Auto Outlet has an extensive selection of used cars and the most professional and friendly sales team I've ever met.

Thomas Martinez met me before I got to the door. That sort of enthusiasm in your work is appreciated as I most places I had to find someone to help me.

Having a knowledge of general finance and the cars in his inventory Thomas guided me to the car I would eventually choose while still keeping my options open. At no point did I feel pressured or pushed although I was reliant on his opinion of his inventory (which he new quite well) and was more than happy to bear with my wife and child as we cruised around both lots looking for the car that would fit my growing family best.

One of the biggest issues I found around town was self financing is a joke. Looking at a 20% APR should scare anyone and having to build their credit and that was not the case with Thomas and his group. Aside form helping me find the right car the also located the financing that would work for me making car ownership "100% hassle free" as is their motto.

I even had a hiccup with my paperwork (not their fault) and they have been more than understanding as to my work schedule and availability.

I expect sale representatives to be high energy and almost frantic, if not a little arrogant in their approach. Thomas was none of this. Aside from being a good salesmen he is genuinely the type of person you would want to deal with when making decisions like this, or even just hanging out. His personal approach was appreciated and it made all the difference.

If you are in the market for a new car, stop into San Marcos Auto Outlet and ask for Thomas. Tell him Austin sent you.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:49 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I am in a totally different part of the continent and in another country entirely, but the exact same thing applies up here. And it explains why I have bought our last four lightly used family vehicles from the lot at Sood Autos up here in the suburbs of Montreal.

Every one of them has been first class in terms of reliability, and when I traded them back to him, he always paid a fair price because he knew he had sold them to us and they were solid vehicles. At one point we were experiencing credit issues, and he screamed his way up the chain of command at his own bank to get us the very best rate possible. It was amusing to watch and listen to. Sitting in the guy's office and haggling over the price with him is a pleasant experience for me. I call him an extortionist, he claims I'm trying to rape his family, but in the end he makes his sale and we walk away with another quality used car at a good price. Win win situation.

Old man Sood has been running the place with an iron fist for as long as I can remember, and he has brought two of his sons into the business in the last few years now that he is getting on in age. His sons are the same kind of gentlemen and savvy camel traders as the old man, and I have dealt with them both in the past, and I look forward to doing more business with them in the future.

It's very hard to find pleasant, caring, candid and sometimes downright comical used car salesmen of that calibre these days, so when you do find one it is very worthwhile to foster the relationship imo.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:59 PM  

Nashville, TN
Don't forget to say "Show Me The Carfax!"
Old 10-21-2011, 12:48 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
I am in a totally different part of the continent and in another country entirely, but the exact same thing applies up here. And it explains why I have bought our last four lightly used family vehicles from the lot at Sood Autos up here in the suburbs of Montreal.

Every one of them has been first class in terms of reliability, and when I traded them back to him, he always paid a fair price because he knew he had sold them to us and they were solid vehicles. At one point we were experiencing credit issues, and he screamed his way up the chain of command at his own bank to get us the very best rate possible. It was amusing to watch and listen to. Sitting in the guy's office and haggling over the price with him is a pleasant experience for me. I call him an extortionist, he claims I'm trying to rape his family, but in the end he makes his sale and we walk away with another quality used car at a good price. Win win situation.

Old man Sood has been running the place with an iron fist for as long as I can remember, and he has brought two of his sons into the business in the last few years now that he is getting on in age. His sons are the same kind of gentlemen and savvy camel traders as the old man, and I have dealt with them both in the past, and I look forward to doing more business with them in the future.

It's very hard to find pleasant, caring, candid and sometimes downright comical used car salesmen of that calibre these days, so when you do find one it is very worthwhile to foster the relationship imo.
I'm glad there are places like that all over. Especially after the poor showing t some of the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
Don't forget to say "Show Me The Carfax!"
I wish I had thought of that, I would have taken the time to rent a fox costume.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:57 PM  

No more Heep?
Old 10-24-2011, 09:40 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmorgan82 View Post
No more Heep?
No more heep.

Gave me a decent price to considering the issue it had.

They had a sale this weekend (I drive by it on my way home) and they were busy!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:23 AM  

Hmm... Maybe I should see what I could get for my YJ from them. Congrats on the new ride.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:00 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmorgan82 View Post
Hmm... Maybe I should see what I could get for my YJ from them. Congrats on the new ride.
Thank you. I'm quote proud.

If nothing else it'll let you know what you can get for it. All the places around town valued the XJ at the same price without advanced inspection.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:07 PM  

Nashville, TN
....but, what did you get?
Old 10-25-2011, 09:42 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
09 Camry SE.

I could kiss the previous owners, they took great care of the car and it shows.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads