Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2005, 01:57 PM  

Re: still in san marcos

Quote:
Originally Posted by still in san marcos
if you like san marcos enough to stay in san marcos then by all means you know what you are doing. to be so ignorant to say that the students do not make a significant impact on the community is unfortunate. it is a "college town"; get it "college" or maybe this will help; "college" "college" college"; now that you have successfully pulled your head out of your ass then you can realize that the college is the reason it exists. without it, call us martindale, hunter, or boondock sally. would you like fries with that or maybe a college education? looks like you need it man. it is okay though because if you live in san marcos, there is a college there or maybe you missed it among the skyscrapers and big businesses that blanket the town like austin. dont forget to tip your student waiter/waitress.
I have a college education. That's why I understand the rules of grammar and that's why I understand math. You spend about $20,000 a year here and most of it goes to small businesses that employ students or it goes to the university. It doesn't go to San Marcos.

It takes over $100k per year to support my family. How many students does that take? Certainly it takes more than one. More than five, even. In fact, it probably takes 20-30 students to pump enough money into the LOCAL economy to support my family. That means that the students probably could support 1,000 residents. That means the other 44,000 don't see a dime. I said that you probably drive 5% of the local economy, but I suspect it is even less.

Do the math. They do still teach math at SWT, don't they?

The town is growing because of Austin and San Antonio. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Yeah, it's a college town and we have a few extra restaurants and bars because of the students. We also have a lot of extra noise, litter and traffic, so it is a wash. We're on IH35, between two growing cities. We would be growing no matter what. Look at Kyle. Look at New Braunfels. Yes, you have an impact on the town, but you don't own the town. Hell, you can't even afford to rent it, so how the hell do you think you drive the economy???
Old 04-30-2005, 01:58 PM  

Re: geist

Quote:
Originally Posted by geist
Businesses in San Marcos thrive upon college students. Without them there would not be such a thriving community nestled comfortably between Austin and San Antonio. Urban Development that extends up and down I35 and out on hunter and post roads exist because of the students. Students spend all the money, maybe not buying cars or houses but all commerce thrives upon the 25,000 students that go to college.
Please. I spend more money per year in San Marcos than 10 students and there are two of me for every one of you.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:13 PM  

laughable; you think you make such a difference because it costs so much to assist your family. so if your so strapped then maybe you should move or have less children. what you dont know is this is not your town and you should leave. your 100k does nothing because you do not have any idea where it goes. do expect any of us educated people to believe that you pump 100k into the economy. you can lie to yourself but keep your mouth shut when your around others. maybe they should throw a celebration for the man who single-handedly supported san marcos with his donations of taxes and disposable services. also, it is easy to copy and paste at least for you. hopefully you cannot do that for a living and use others ideas as your own; oh yeah, you already do that. well, if you are handing out 100k like it is nothing then by all means give some up or have it taken away. being too cocky about how much you have and how much you pump into the economy will get you into trouble. maybe you were not born here and texas and you might not know how things are here. do your best piss all over the worthless college that you do not care about and it is too bad you cannot get laid and get paid; down in the boondocks.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:18 PM  

Oh yeah! That guy is a dumbass. He thinks the students should pay for his kids. Well, maybe the students should pick up this bastards slack as a pitiful homemaker. Tell your kids good luck, because they are not going to get it from daddy. HaHa you fools.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:02 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
laughable; you think you make such a difference because it costs so much to assist your family. so if your so strapped then maybe you should move or have less children. what you dont know is this is not your town and you should leave. your 100k does nothing because you do not have any idea where it goes. do expect any of us educated people to believe that you pump 100k into the economy. you can lie to yourself but keep your mouth shut when your around others. maybe they should throw a celebration for the man who single-handedly supported san marcos with his donations of taxes and disposable services. also, it is easy to copy and paste at least for you. hopefully you cannot do that for a living and use others ideas as your own; oh yeah, you already do that. well, if you are handing out 100k like it is nothing then by all means give some up or have it taken away. being too cocky about how much you have and how much you pump into the economy will get you into trouble. maybe you were not born here and texas and you might not know how things are here. do your best piss all over the worthless college that you do not care about and it is too bad you cannot get laid and get paid; down in the boondocks.
I don't know why I even argue with you. It's like picking a fight with a quadriplegic. You don't even understand what I am saying. At this point, I am pretty sure that you are a high school dropout, not a college student. There's just no way in hell that you could get into Texas State, the way you speak.

College students do not drive the economy. College graduates (me), who get good jobs and stay here, brining money into the city, do support the economy. Local residents who work at C-Fan, Butler and the rest support the economy.

I'm not even sure what that has to do with anything anyway. The argument was about more than two non-related people renting a house in a single-family district. YOU brought up the idea that students should be able to do whatever they want because they run the economy. I pointed out that they do not and you responded by saying that it doesn't matter.

At least you got that right. Zoning is what keeps someone from building a yellow store on one side of your house and a slaughterhouse on the other side. If you don't understand the value of zoning, I can't help you. Luckily for me, I know that you, personally, will never be able to live anywhere near me.

I actually feel bad for you, really. Don't be so bitter. You can always start at ACC and work your way up to Texas State. You do know how to work, don't you? Good. Now, you just have to learn how to write. Seriously, if you want me to think you're a college student, you need to at least communicate like you made it past the 9th grade.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:05 AM  
A2

I wish Y'all would put a name on there instead of guest, cause I can't keep up with your arguement when I can't tell who is saying what.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:10 AM  

San Marcos
I'm the one who knows how to speak and actually made the mistake of getting baited by a twelve-year-old.

I feel so foolish...
Old 05-01-2005, 09:18 AM  
FSMPD

The ordinance is just another of the MANY ways that the city uses to screw the college kids. I could never understand why a city whose whole economy revolves around students could devote all of its efforts just to punish and take advantage of those students. The school and the students make up more than half the population of San Marcos and benefit this community so much, and all the city does in response is hand out MIP's and prevent them from living anywhere other than apartments.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:46 PM  
A2

FSMD,
First it was nice to read a post without a personal attack on someone else.
COuld you do me a favor though?, please list all the positve things the college students do for the city, and please list any and all ways the city "takes advantage" of the students.

Thanks,
It will make you side of the issue much easier to see if you could actually site some real problems.

A2
Old 05-01-2005, 07:47 PM  
Vutok

Loss of Civility

The latest efforts by the San Marcos Nazi Association is to further criminalize more activities that they are unwilling to solve by more rational and social means. It is just easier to criminalize how many people live in a home and hire cops to enforce the law, than it is to talk to your neighbors. I don't blame the kids writing on this blog for being angry. It is a nasty lesson to learn about life.

At least it appears that the current leadership at City Hall understands the Nazis have to be kept at bay. Criminalizing every activity that might be a nuisance to every individual is the wrong direction for a healthy community.

The Texas State Student needs to understand he is part of a community here. It comes with a set of responsibilities. The residents, on the other hand, need to understand they are living in a college town. This comes with a set of responsibilities to understand the these are kids just away from home for the first time, and they need a little mature experience to speak into their lives.

The two unrelated law smacks of ugliness. It is a first cousin of passing laws to keep minorities from moving into the neighborhood. I hope maybe we can be a little better than that

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads