Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2004, 01:40 PM  

Sports Bars in San Marcos?

Are there any left?

Draft Choice is a shell of its former self. They offer no satellite coverage of teams, only showing what is on local tv. And they play music during games. What a shame. I was there on opening day of Draft Choice in 91. The place went seriously downhill under its current management (Mark, the guy who owns Gordos).

Tortugas was a pretty cool sports bar for the brief time it was open. They actually had satellite and didnt play music during games.

When i was in san marcos last weekend, my friends and I had to travel to Austin to watch a Rockets game because San Marcos doesnt have a sports bar with satellite coverage. Or if San Marcos does, I am unaware of it.

If I am missing a place, please let me know. Its hard to believe a city the size of san marcos doenst have one good sports bar.

Old 03-18-2004, 03:47 PM  
A2

Bums Billards usually plays big games on their big screen.
But now that I think about it....your right...there really is no sports bars in town..

Let's open one.

We are getting an Alamo Draft house. That's pretty cool IMHO

A2

Old 03-18-2004, 09:31 PM  

Whats an Alamo Draft House?

I researched opening a Hooters in San Marcos. I found out that the entire state of texas franchise rights to Hooters has been sold to one investment group, dont know who they are. Not to mention you have to have $3 million in liquid assets to even qualify.

I would love to open up a sports bar in san marcos. Problem with that is san marcos is a college town, for the most part, and most college students dont have much money. However, I believe it could work given the right location and advertisement.

Of course, I would be personally in charge of hiring our waitresses. :lol:
Old 03-19-2004, 05:36 AM  
A2

Man....Alamo Draft House was started by a yankee couple in Austin.
Basically it's a movie theater, that serves full course meals, (and really well prepared, cheap dinners, with great beer specials) your order the food right from your seat anytime during the movie and they bring it to your table.
It's one of the best ideas ever.
There's two in Austin, check em out.

There building the new one here in town on 35. don't know where, prob. across from thermon.

and there's a hooters just south of New Braunfels. It's actually in the old selma court house, and when they redid the building they left the jail cell. So you can eat wings and drink beer...in Jail,,,while being waited on by some of the best lookin' lil' minkies in the county....

God bless texas..

The man who redid the old state bank building/first national. Is the same one that is doin' diversions, which will be resturaunt in basement, bar on first floor and bad ass apartments on the top floor. Word on the street...he's doin' the ol' two bitters building next...If the ****in' rich ******* that owns schlitterbaun sells out...
Old 03-19-2004, 09:00 AM  

We were talking about the ol two bitters club last week. What I heard is that it has been sold already.

I would like to buy the Draft Choice and renovate it. Keep the name and reopen as a REAL sports bar. It would give me a good reason to move back to san marcos. Last time I was there, I spoke to the owner about selling it, he said he would sell but wouldnt give me even a ball park figure, he just kept saying "make me an offer." No way to make an offer without knowing what the place is worth. Whats funny is I used to work for the guy at Gordos for a brief time years ago and got fired for taking shots while working, now I want to buy one of his businesses, lol.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:54 PM  

Re: Draft Choice

Yeah, Draft Choice went downhill. When I first moved to San Marcos ('97), the place was rarely packed, but always busy: Happy hour, weekdays, weekends, summer, winter. It had all the sports packages (except perhaps, hockey), plus trivia and decent music. And really good bartenders. They always remember what I drank, kept the drinks a'coming, friendly, etc. etc. And tons of friendly regulars.

Then, when Mark Brown took it over a few later and the place just went into the tank. He fired ALL of the bartenders and while weekend business picked up (how, I'm not sure), happy hour and weekday business went into the tank. Sports packages were removed. The music becase hip-hop crap. The bar staff was craptacular. And the majority of the regulars dissapeared.

I went in there a few months ago for the first time in a while and couldn't believe what I saw. On a Wed. night there was exactly one TV with sports programming on. And it seemed like there were a lot fewer TV's (of course, if they're not showing sports in a bar: who cares). And, to make matters worse: They had some guy singing on their "stage" folk music, in which he was reading the lyrics on a stand in front of him. Felt like I was in the Contintenal Club, I tell you what. :roll:

A few years ago, while in the Draft Choice, I mentioned in passing to Brown what it would take to buy the place. By then, it was obvious that he couldn't give a **** about the place and was putting none of his profits (if he was making any) back into the bar. He gave me an offer in which I tought was fair, but I couldn't come up with the money. However, I've heard that he's now bought the building in which DC is located and he's looking to sell bar AND building for a tidy little profit.

BTW, anyone remember that sports bar that was located by the Interstate off Hopkins a few years back? Hot Wing Willie's or something? Man, that was a cluster**** operation. The one time I was in that place, I swear over 1/2 of the clientele must've been in high school or freshmen. And, they were drinking. And suprisingly, they were shut down right soon after.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:50 AM  
joaniela

Twobitters

Don't get your hopes on the old Two-Bitters building turning into anything anytime soon. I've been hearing that it was going to be re-built and open up as a bar again since I first moved to S.M. in the mid-80s. I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:09 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexled
I researched opening a Hooters in San Marcos. I found out that the entire state of texas franchise rights to Hooters has been sold to one investment group, dont know who they are. Not to mention you have to have $3 million in liquid assets to even qualify.

I would love to open up a sports bar in san marcos. Problem with that is san marcos is a college town, for the most part, and most college students dont have much money. However, I believe it could work given the right location and advertisement.
I've always thought that both San Marcos & Lubbock both deserve a Hooters. Both are all-American style college towns that would turn a Hooters into a cash cow. A friend of mine looked into the Hooters thing too, and were equally disappointed. However, that's not to say we couldn't open a "Cooters" ? (SouthWest Bob-cooters haha). You get the idea though, just a wally-world rip-off of Hooters, couldn't take much more than some big-screens, some deep fryers, a grill, some kegs and some hot waitresses
Old 07-25-2004, 08:12 AM  

Oh, and about the Draft Choice....yeah, Mark can go fck himself!!! What a tard.

First he ruins Gordo's, then he ruins the Draft Choice.....what a piece of ****.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:02 PM  

bum's billiards usually has alot of sports related stuff happening they have alot of tvs with adequate seating

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.