Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2008, 01:31 PM  

Transfer to TSU, any advice?

My name is Brian, I'm transfering to TSU this fall for finance. I'm not familiar with San Marcos at all except driving past it on the 35 to San Antonio.

Any finance majors out there? Nice hangouts? Bars? Any neighborhoods to stay away from? I'm looking at buying a condo or small house in the area.

Any help would be nice.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:35 PM  

TSU is Texas Southern University. Has been over 50 years. Part of the agreement on the name change in the legislature was that Texas State wouldn't snake TSU's abreviation.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:01 PM  

San Marcos
Welcome to San Marcos.

I'd still stay away from Sagewood (problems again this weekend) or Haynes St.

There are tons of cool places to see and hang out. I've always liked Alvin Ord's, checking out the bikinis and the frisbee guy at Sewell Park, or relaxing at City Park and 5-mile Dam, Sundance Records, driving out Devil' Backbone and/or into Wimberley, getting a beer at Devil's Backbone Tavern (sorry, not Riley's) bike (bicycle) riding out behind the outlet mall (Pedal Power has a group to ride with) or down whatever that road is by Freeman Ranch (Fulton ranch Road? Head out RR12 and turn right at the Jesus rock, a couple of miles outside of town), eating barbecue in Lockhart (Woody's in San Marcos is just OK), or buying some kickass steaks at Granzin's and firing up the grill, tubing on the San Marcos River, as well as in New Braunfels and Canyon Lake, Mana's Mexican Restaurant, Garcia's too, breakfast tacos on Aquarena Springs at Lolita's or on Holland St at the place I drive by every day and never remember the name, even though I live within spitting distance, because I am just too loyal to Lolita's, Gruene Hall and the rest of downtown Gruene, Cheatham Street Warehouse, The Root Cellar, mountain biking down all the stairs (and then back up) on campus, the historic district, tennis courts on Sessom, walking/shopping at the outlet mall on a weekday, the observation tower at Wonder World, sex in the study rooms at the library, Tantra Coffeehouse, Wimberley rodeo, movies in the park, concerts in the park, summerfest/4th of July fireworks in the park, Olympic kayak qualifiers (just missed), Texas Natural Swing Festival, Texas Water Safari (260 mile canoe/kayak race), I just went to an AWESOME play (complete works of Shakespeare, abridged) at Texas Red's, but that's over now - I hear there are other shows in the works, though...

Hell, I don't think I could list it all.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:11 PM  

Brian,
Welcome! I can't say anything about the finance department, since I'm in Biology, but Semi hit a lot of what is good about San Marcos. I'd add the Tap Room for a burger and fries. They are the best in town. It's a bit of a sports bar, but they have something like 60 beers on tap. Few things beat how relaxing and convenient a float on the San Marcos River is. My favorite coffee shop is Jo on the Go. We've even recently gotten a local coffee roaster, who is starting to supply both Tantra and Jo. The taco house Semi is thinking of is El Primos. Stay away from the Sagewood area for buying. Also, there is a occupancy code that says that no more than two unrelated people can live in a single family zoned area (which is almost all of the houses in town). If you're buying a small house it won't even be an issue.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:12 AM  

San Marcos
I almost forgot the races at Thunderhill Raceway. The season starts 4/12. Lots of really cool local guys and girls racing.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:04 PM  

San Marcos
I just went to the Wimberley Glass Works for the first time since they moved to the new location. They are now on RR12, a couple of miles past the Baptist Academy. Tim, the owner, is very cool and I have been a fan of his work since he got here and we are really lucky to have him, for all practical purposes, in San Marcos now.

Be sure to check out the glass blowing demonstrations!
Old 04-04-2008, 12:01 PM  

San Marcos
I'm surprised and kind of disappointed in myself for not knowing about this, but here is a website for local art events.

http://www.sanmarcosarts.com/

It's a little light on content, but it may have some new information for you.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!