Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2008, 04:04 PM  

San Marcos
Do you have any ongoing involvement with this project, or are you out of the loop now that the students have voted?

Old 02-14-2008, 04:45 PM  

I just sent you a PM semi with the lowdown on that so look out for it.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:14 AM  

can i get a copy of that sean?
Old 02-16-2008, 05:28 PM  

Let's see about 25 years ago we (the students then) were told that SWT would seemlessly make the transition from Division-II powerhouse to Division IA power house and in 10-15 years we would be a competive Division I school in the Southwest Conference and everything. Worked out well. You know what really worked for schools like UConn and Georgetown, was building their name through less expensive sports like Basketball and such. We have a baseball team that is competitive with National powerhouses like UT and Rice, why not invest wisely.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:47 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-native View Post
Competitive?

McNeese State 7-0 / 11-1
Central Arkansas 5-2 / 6-5
Sam Houston State 5-2 / 7-4
Nicholls State 3-4 / 6-5
Texas State 3-4 / 4-7
Northwestern State 3-4 / 4-7
Southeastern Louisiana 2-5 / 3-8
Stephen F. Austin 0-7 / 0-11

Texas State 3-3 / 5-6

Texas State 5-1 / 11-3

Texas State 3-2 / 5-6

Southwest Texas State 1-4 / 4-8

Southwest Texas State 1-5 / 4-7

Southwest Texas State 0-6 / 4-7

Southwest Texas State 5-2 / 7-4

Southwest Texas State 2-5 / 3-8

I'd love to have a competitive FBS team, but we're pretty far from that.

I also liked this quote:

Perhaps the university will start to embrace the city and the former students in their effort to build loyalty.
FBS quality players and coaches want to be at FBS schools. We lose countless numbers of players to other schools for this reason alone. Also, FBS schools can give more scholarships and can recruit for a longer period of time.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:50 AM  

San Marcos
Right, but we're operating under the same constraints as the teams that wax our ass every year.

It's already been established that we need to compete at this level before we will be allowed to move up, so the debate about why we aren't competitive is moot.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:11 PM  

San Marcos
Which is not to say that we will not be competitive over the next 5 years; just that we aren't now and haven't really been (consistently) in a long time.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:22 PM  

Sports

Alright so Texas State football hasn't been as competitive as people would like it to be for the last few years, but what about the other sports? This whole thing will effect us too, we will be put in a better conference and have better competition and bigger teams to play against. And guess what...we've been competitive in the past. Volleyball - won the Southland Conference tournament 2 out of the last 3 years, Softball - they came out second in the conference tournament almost making it to the college world series, Soccer - yes this year wasn't the best, but last year they came out second in the conference tournament, Golf - men's and women's I'm pretty sure they do well every year, Baseball - I'm not to sure how they finish each year but I do know that they compete with some great teams, and even beat some ranked teams.

I just wish people would look at all the other sports this University offers and not just base the whole thing on Football. Texas State is competitive in a lot of sports, even if football isn't the best!
Old 02-20-2008, 04:28 PM  

San Marcos
Fair enough, but the original poster was talking about football and the analysis of the potential move to Division 1 said that the other programs would need to remain competitive and the football program would need to become competitive.

It is possible that nobody is talking about the other sports, because football is such a big deal, or because football is potentially (ironically) what will keep us from moving up.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:48 PM  

Personally, I'd like to see the emphasis put on some of the other sports. As Brete said, UConn and Georgetown have done well using Basketball as their marketing tool. I'd add KU. Why is football the only sport? Let's be honest. The whole Div. I thing is about marketing. I want to see us marketing the quality (and getting even better) educational opportunities we have here. I don't like the blind support and singular focus on football. There's a decent editorial on the subject here. Let's push basketball and baseball, where there is room to develop a nationally ranked team. The football field is full up. It would make much more financial sense to concentrate on other areas.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!