Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2011, 09:05 PM  

Alpine, Texas
What is there to do around San Marcos

The family and I are heading to San Marcos, Seguin, New Braunfels and are wondering what all there is to do around there. Now weve heard floating the river and Schillterbahn but what else is there? Now remember it has to be family orinated cause we got a 10 and 5 year old. Also on another note for the trip are there any reall outstanding micro brewerys in the area?

Old 01-24-2011, 07:54 AM  

San Marcos
For young kids, the Wonder World cave and their observation tower are fun/interesting. Watching a unicycle football game on Sunday afternoon (at the farmer's market) is fun. The classic car museum on Hunter could be fun for kids, if they like cars. You can't climb in them or anything (like some I've been to), but there are some neat cars there. A glass blowing demonstration at the Wimberley Glass Works, on RR12, closer to San Marcos than Wimberley, is really cool. Texas State has a beautiful campus and I always walk visitors through. It's never too early to expose kids to college and put that idea in their heads. The last time I checked, there are a couple of good ice cream/frozen yogurt places on LBJ. The yogurt place would probably be more fun for kids, because it is a "make your own sundae" type of place.

Plenty of other things come to mind for adults, but for kids, I'm not coming up with much. Of course, I don't have kids, so I don't look for things for them to do.

The Root Cellar does micro brew. I have not tried it yet, but everything else they do is great. There is also one out RR12 - Brewster's Pizza. It's at the junction, which any local can point you to. Just head out 12 about 10 minutes and when 12 makes a 90 degree right turn, that's the junction. Brewster's is on the left.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:06 AM  

San Marcos
Tried to edit my post, but couldn't get it to save.

The yogurt place is called Twist & Shout. The ice cream place is Rhea's.

Welcome to San Marcos. Be VERY careful where you park downtown. If it is a parking lot for a business, particularly @ Subway, they WILL tow you, often within minutes of you walking off their property. The 1 and 2 hour parking on the street is a bit ridiculous too, if you want to spend an afternoon downtown. Unfortunately, it is unavoidable. Don't park on the square, facing the courthouse, because those tickets are more expensive. Everywhere else, the tickets are $25, I believe.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:24 AM  

Alpine, Texas
Well thank you, I appreciate the help. Any information is helpful when your heading someplace unfamilure. So far those places sound great.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:40 AM  

Alpine, Texas
WOW!!! Parking sounds like a real... you know what! How do the locals get around if they need to do some shopping? My wife is originally from Kingsville and because of my job I have an oportunity to move some where there close in East Texas. Weve talked about it, but dang parking sounds like it really sucks.

Appreciate the tips on the micro brewery. prosit!!! I WILL be checking those out!
Old 01-25-2011, 06:46 AM  

Alpine, Texas
Also plan to head over to Shiner, TX to visit the Shiner Brewery. "Love me some Shiner". Anyone ever been there? How is it? Tips, Tricks, Hints about the brewery would be greatly appreciated! Hear its about an hour and a half from the San Marcos
areaprosit on that one!!!
Old 01-25-2011, 08:10 AM  

San Marcos
Shopping at the Outlet Mall and Places like Target, Sam's, Academy, HEB, etc., there is plenty of parking. Even the little strip centers downtown have a bit of parking, as long as you are shopping in their stores. Walking around the square and the rest of downtown - sadly, you take your chances with a ticket, or you stay less than 2 hours.

There is a paid parking garage on campus, off Comanche and Sessom, if you want to spend some time on campus and even walk into town from there. There is some unrestricted parking here and there, but you have to look for it, and you have to walk a little further, often without sidewalks. :-(

It's not as bad as it sounds. I love it here. You just need to be aware. We had a former mayor or something like that (from way back, I imagine), who brought friends to see San Marcos. They parked at Subway, may have even shopped in that center, walked toward the square and were immediately towed. It made the local paper. Not the best first impression, so I always try to warn people.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:19 AM  

Alpine, Texas
Thanks, I appreciate the heads up. Ya that would be really bad. Park and go walking around and shopping with the kids and come back to a empty parking space. Man I'd be pee'd off. But thats the price you pay for doing something your do suppose to do. Oh, are these parking spaces clearly marked? Like, if i'm driving around looking for a space and find one. I'd know right off the bat if this is one of those forbidden spots?
Old 01-25-2011, 11:35 AM  

San Marcos
On-street parking is marked with time limit signs. Some are only 1 hour. Parking lots have signs telling you that you will be towed.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:15 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
The good thing about down town is you can park far off, then walk to almost anywhere.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads