Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2007, 05:18 PM  

Who's looking for new going-out options in SM?

Hi all, I'm a new poster to the forum and a fairly new resident of Texas. I am seriously looking into starting a new bar/live music venue, hopefully on or near the square.
Is there a need/desire for expanding the going out options in SM? Would a hip mostly beer joint with a great jukebox, wall space for local artists, and a stage for local talent be something that the SM crowd would flock to?
I love SM and would love to offer a great new place for a crowd of all ages and all walks of life to enjoy. Come in, get a good beer, play some tunes (everything from Jazz to Joy Division from Slayer to Slint from Bluegrass to Garage from Husker Du to the Rolling Stones) meet cool people and at night catch a good band anything from a jazz ensemble to acoustic to avant-noise and everything in between.
What do y'all like about what SM has to offer and what more would you like to see/hear? What would bring you into a cool, funky, laid back, friendly new venue where everyone is welcome from metalheads to hippies from blue collar to slacker from artist to academic and all combinations thereof????
Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Cheers! Jim

Old 07-03-2007, 07:32 PM  

shock

Sounds like a tall order. The last thing this town needs is another bar on the square. If you could take one over, that's a different story.

If you're really trying to get on the square, maybe you could start a new restaurant. A good one.

Best of Luck.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:30 PM  
A2

Hi all, I'm a new poster to the forum and a fairly new resident of Texas. I am seriously looking into starting a new bar/live music venue, hopefully on or near the square.
Is there a need/desire for expanding the going out options in SM?

___ Probably not/I don't think so___

Would a hip mostly beer joint with a great jukebox, wall space for local artists, and a stage for local talent be something that the SM crowd would flock to?

____If you mean like the Triple Crown or Tantra....they might come but not flock___

I love SM and would love to offer a great new place for a crowd of all ages and all walks of life to enjoy. Come in, get a good beer, play some tunes (everything from Jazz to Joy Division from Slayer to Slint from Bluegrass to Garage from Husker Du to the Rolling Stones) meet cool people and at night catch a good band anything from a jazz ensemble to acoustic to avant-noise and everything in between.
What do y'all like about what SM has to offer and what more would you like to see/hear?

___I like the college scene, but not the frat boy/study breaks scene. I would like an Alamo Draft House, or similar. ( one is in the works for the 5 mile dam project....so I hear. )___

What would bring you into a cool, funky, laid back, friendly new venue where everyone is welcome from metalheads to hippies from blue collar to slacker from artist to academic and all combinations thereof????

____ lap dances / buffets
Old 07-05-2007, 10:18 PM  

Make that 2 votes for lap dances and buffets.

What San Marcos HAS is plenty of excellent club options 25 miles north of here. What San Marcos NEEDS is good week night stuff to do. And no cover for ladies maybe?
Old 07-06-2007, 12:33 AM  

ahhhh....

lapdances! Why didn't I think of that?
Old 07-06-2007, 05:08 AM  
A2

It seems that the old Pedal Power location is going to be turned into a bar etc. I noticed the sign that they are applying for a liquor license for that location.

FYI...Pedal Power is moving out by the new Fushacks BBQ on the highway, and probably is the best place between SA and Atown to buy a bike, or get one fixed/tuned up.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:54 PM  

oh i hope they keep their sign. rent scratched out.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:06 PM  

Ingenuity...not disingenuity

Ya know, I've watched perfectly decent bars come and go around here. Can't say what it would take to make one work or not work, but I do know what San Marcos could really use. I live entertainment bar. Not bands, not singer-songwriters, no, try a friggin COMEDY CLUB. Damn straight. I swear if I had one less project on my plate I'd do it myself. Serve drinks, fine, fine, fine, but for gods-sake provide a sliver of content along with it. The good things about a comedy/bar/club, is that it's not just about drinkin. You don't have to be bothered with ear-drum-busting bands moderated by a deaf teenage soundman who can't pronounce the word DECIBEL, and shows can range from raunchy adults only, to family night to break up the regular bar crowd.

Anyway, my vote is a comedy club, and bring some fun and content into the town. Who knows, you may find we've got plenty of talent around here, try holding amature night...oh yeah...if you do this...I want a friggin bar seat with my name on a friggin brass plaque on it for giving away the secret to success in a bar-crowded town.

Lemme know when you plan to open it.

By the way, you should call it, The Monkey Bar.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:52 PM  

I've thought this town could use one of these for almost 10 years:
Old 07-10-2007, 05:52 PM  

Hey thanks for the replies

So the vote is BOOBS BOOBS and more BOOBS.
Like how many? About 37?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > San Marcos
Bookmark this Page!