Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Washington > Seattle / Tacoma
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2010, 06:53 AM  

elizabeth city, nc
Kent / Renton area

Hello all, I'm looking to move next year to the SEATAC airport area. I'll be working out of there and I would like to get some insight on the nearby towns and possible places to live. I want a short drive to the airport, a place with a nice view, small town "feel", and good schools. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:27 AM  

Bellevue, Washington
How much are you looking to spend on the "nice view"?

Old 10-12-2010, 09:24 PM  

Sammamish, WA
Both of those areas you mentioned have a mix of schools, you really have to check it out carefully and move to the area with the right one. Neither has what you are thinking of as the small town feel. Lots of Boeing and other industrial areas, old homes downtown and typical newer developments in the suburbs.

Look into Issaquah, not that much further away, and a real small town feel. Plus XXX Root Beer with cars shows every weekend all summer.

Bellevue has some of the best schools but is more expensive. If you landed a really good job the best schools are on Mercer Island. Here in Sammamish we have good schools and it's a small town but really more like no town. You have to drive to Issaquah or Redmond for most everything, and that's about 15-20 minutes drive.

Views do cost money, $20-50,000 more. From my front yard near the street we can see the Cascades and the Snoqualmie valley below, really spectacular, but not from the house.

BTW I work for the Port which operates the airport, though I'm on the seaport side.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:20 AM  

elizabeth city, nc
So how long of a drive is Issaquah from SEATAC airport?
Old 10-13-2010, 04:05 PM  

Bellevue, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by moku View Post
So how long of a drive is Issaquah from SEATAC airport?
I live on the border of Bellevue and Issaquah and I work at the airport. It takes me less than 30 minutes to get there. You can also look into the Burien and Des Moines area. I can't say if the schools are good but they have a somewhat small town feel and could have spectacular views.
Everything that bisjoe said is right on. Me and my wife moved to Bellevue from Seattle for the schools and the housing is cheaper.
Issaquah is nice. Close to the mountains and has all the shopping needs in a central location. That is real nice after living in Seattle and having to drive all over the city to get different things.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:02 AM  

elizabeth city, nc
Those areas sound nice. We won't be travelling out that way until the spring to do house hunting, but I'm trying to research the area so I have an idea of where to start looking. Thanks to all those who've responded.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:10 PM  

Graham, Washington
Cool, looks like a couple of port folks here. I also work at the port, airport side. I don't live near there though, I prefer to be out in the sticks. I'm about an hour away with no traffic. With traffic you can count on doubling that time. You don't have to drive very far though to get out if the city. Can't really tell ya much about the schools around there, I spend most of my time in the south end.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:55 PM  

Sammamish, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97powerstroke View Post
Cool, looks like a couple of port folks here. I also work at the port, airport side. I don't live near there though, I prefer to be out in the sticks. I'm about an hour away with no traffic. With traffic you can count on doubling that time. You don't have to drive very far though to get out if the city. Can't really tell ya much about the schools around there, I spend most of my time in the south end.
You are a ways from the airport. At least you can bypass that daily mess around Dupont. Why does the traffic always back up there? We go once in a while to the Cabela's in Lacey.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:44 PM  

Issaquah, Washington
What ever you do try to avoid the commutes on SR167, SR169, 405 or I-5. It seems like we have the worst traffic in the country. Try to find something in Burien, Des Moines, or Fauntlaroy. There are some really nice veiws of Puget Sound and Olympic Mts. from there.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:36 PM  

Sammamish, WA
It really depends on the work hours, too. Mine are 7am-4pm, and I have no traffic into Seattle on I-90 from Issaquah, just a little near 900 on the way home.

If I worked at the airport I'd probably take 900 to Renton and miss much of 405.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Washington > Seattle / Tacoma
Bookmark this Page!