Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Washington > Seattle / Tacoma
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2010, 11:05 AM  

Spokane, WA
Rain

Ok so I know it rains in Seattle, everyone knows this. I always though when everyone told me how often it rains that they were over exaggerating. Until I visited Seattle last April. Holy crap! I was there 1 week. Rained every single day and Most of my time, because of work, was one a huge area of flat land. It was flat land and the rain was up above my ankles!

Was this because it was a super rainy season or is this normal

Old 10-25-2010, 12:37 PM  

Seattle, Washington
Well I'm surprised you found a huge area of flat land in Seattle, because Seattle is nothing but hills EVERYWHERE. It does rain a lot, but it doesn't really POUR here. It often sprinkles in the morning and clears up by afternoon, so yeah it rains but I never bring an umbrella.

Maybe it's because I've never lived anywhere else, but it doesn't really seem to rain very much here at all, it just seems to be CLOUDY.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:15 PM  

Sammamish, WA
in the spring it's not unusual to have 30 days straight of rain, but you still never need an umbrella, it's more like mist. This last week is unusually heavy from a storm that has hit Oregon and even California. With the timing, the leaves are clogging the storm sewers hence the standing water. Most people here would rather have that rain and maybe 1-2 snows that stick than all the snow you get over there. I think I'd prefer something in between. My Mom is between Port Angeles and Sequim, northeast of here, and they get only 1/4 the rain we do, 9-10" a year.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:22 AM  

Ione, NE Wash. 5 acres along the Pend Oreille River
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
in the spring it's not unusual to have 30 days straight of rain, but you still never need an umbrella, it's more like mist. This last week is unusually heavy from a storm that has hit Oregon and even California. With the timing, the leaves are clogging the storm sewers hence the standing water. Most people here would rather have that rain and maybe 1-2 snows that stick than all the snow you get over there. I think I'd prefer something in between. My Mom is between Port Angeles and Sequim, northeast of here, and they get only 1/4 the rain we do, 9-10" a year.
Not where I live. NE Wash is like a steady shower.....of course it makes everything green and keeps our river flowing.....
Old 11-02-2010, 09:42 PM  

Anoka, Minnesota
I lived out there for about six years when I was in the Navy. I always tell people in Minnesota that it really doesn't rain that much more than it snows in the winter. That being said I don't think it has really snowed since all that much since I came back to the state.

I remember it not raining for sixty plus days one summer when I was stationed in Bangor. I also remember it raining the entire month of December one year also. I would move back if life hadn't caught me in Minnesota.

You know what they say. If you can't see Mount Rainer it's raining. If you can see Mount Rainer it's going to rain.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:13 PM  
most definitely a nobody

Tacoma-ish, Washington
I don't know if the issue is that it rains so much, or that the sun shines so (seemingly) little

and for the recored, our record of days with no measurable sun was 90 (yes, Nine-Zero) straight days a few years back.

the good news? seattle is the only city where the fact that it is raining, or it isn't raining, are both cause for drinking!

Hoss
Old 11-03-2010, 02:57 PM  

vancouver, washington
If it didn't rain so much then it would just be dull around here. The rain keeps things clean and green!
Old 11-03-2010, 08:31 PM  

Sammamish, WA
Perhaps Mom Nature wanted to make a liar out of me, we set a record with 1.5" of rain in 24 hours on Monday. Oh, and tied a 1946 record for heat today at 74.

I remember that year that we got 60 days of no rain in summer, normally it's
6 weeks max.

If we are to believe the weather people, this will be a cold winter with lots of snow (instead of rain).
Old 11-03-2010, 09:35 PM  

Anoka, Minnesota
You could always look at it like this. With so many people living in a small area and everyone driving a car. If it didn't rain imagine the smog. The mountains would hold it in and it would just be horrible.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:26 PM  

Buckley, WA
I've been here 20 years now, arrived 10-30-1990 took me three months to see what mountain everybody was talkin' about! Love the weather now.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Washington > Seattle / Tacoma
Bookmark this Page!