Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Shopping / Consumer Products
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2016, 09:38 AM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicinabottle View Post
Well, I agree with you that a good many of the articles one buys for their homes are pure crap, but it's not the government, it's capitalism that's producing this chit. As if making record profits having your product made in Asia where they nearly get paid to have their stuff built, poor designs and crappy workmanship. Companies just can't seem to build enough profit into anything these days.
It's the government that pass and enforce the regulations that dictate using less water and less energy. It's called Title 24. The dishwashing machine for example, in compliance with newest government Title 24 regulations, has to use less water and electricity. To get the dishes clean and dry you have to use the "Antibacterial" setting which runs the machine using the same or more energy than the older allowed pre Title 24 versions. Saves no energy and saves no resources. Same with low water use toilets. If you crap like a bull, and we do, you have to flush the new toilets two to three times to get the product down the bowel. Seems to me that it uses as much if not more than older larger gallon tanks than older pre Title 24 toilets. And as for washing machines, they are in the same boat with all the other appliances that have to deal with Title 24 government regulations in conserving energy and water.

So in summary, it's not the manufactures manufacturing cheap, crappy, junk here, but it's more the government with it's unrealistic, knee jerk regulations causing the problems here by forcing the manufactures to comply with their ridiculous, un thought out, mostly wrong regulations.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:18 PM  
Traveler

Well, no disrespect, but tell people to quit having kids. The Earths resources are under attack from over population, water is getting scarcer and scarcer, no lie, and you're absolutely wrong, they do make good and bad products. They have low consumption toilets that do as well a job as the older toilets, and as I stated before, government mandates on fuel conserving motor vehicles have in fact produced vehicles that produce less pollution, get better fuel economy and have more power than ever before.

Some of the things such as low flow faucets are aggravating but we need to make sacrifices to conserve fuel, water and so on, otherwise there isn't going to be water for future generations. I have two wells on my place, one of them producing over 500 gallons a minute, but I still do what I can to conserve water.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:24 AM  

The way I have to do extra cycles with my washer conserves no water or electricity. The first generation of DOE commodes required 2-3 flushes, agreed there are better ones now. However washers do not seem to be improving, seems that it requires water to wash clothes.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:39 AM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
You do have a point. There is no more or less water than there ever was here on earth except it is caught up more in the use cycle than ever before. The earth produces over 50% more food than it normally would due to fertilizers, herbicides and pesticides which are derived from petro chemicals. So, from the technologies provided from petro chemicals alone, we have been sustaining more human life than the planet normally could for over 100 years now.

Progressives would probably say "The earth suffers from a biological human infestation". Actually they would be right except it's only the biosphere, which is an extremely thin skin on the planet, that's out of balance with human infestation. It's inevitable that mother nature will eventually correct this human out of balance problem here.

Makes me to remember the "Too many rats in a cage syndrome".
Put two breeding rats in a confined space with food and water and let them go. Do not increase the food, water, or space as they breed and produce many more rats.

Did this in high school and in college and I have to say it's quite the show over a few months. With this experiment we saw that after enough time of population swings, that equilibrium in population will eventually be attained. However, it's not a pretty picture getting there.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:49 AM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
The way I have to do extra cycles with my washer conserves no water or electricity. The first generation of DOE commodes required 2-3 flushes, agreed there are better ones now. However washers do not seem to be improving, seems that it requires water to wash clothes.
Unfortunately for those who care about conserving water it is a fact that it takes water to wash cloths. The front loaders I hear are not any better either. New low water use toilets can be fixed by modifying the ball in the tank. You can even but kits in some stores to do this. When done correct it increases the water per flush by about 30%. Saves water here because we don't have to double flush as much. Also this pissing in the toilet and not flushing it is flat plain nasty. Youngers say something like "Be mellow and let it stay yellow." They must have been indoctrinated into this crap from the schooling systems.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:33 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicinabottle View Post
I personally think that private enterprise has invaded our lives far more than the government. I mean think about it! The private sector makes money on any bit of info they can collect on you. The crap companies program into your devices such as washers, smart phones and so on, give off your every nuance.

By the way, government mandates on pollution and energy conservation have yielded better products all the way around. Cars are more fuel efficient, powerful and give off less emissions for a fact. A 2016 vehicle traveling at 60 miles per hour gives off less emissions than a 1977 vehicle parked with the engine turned off. Newer toilets actually flush as well if not better, while using less than half the water of older toilets. LED lights? Flat screen TVs and puter monitors? Think about the old TV set you had back in the 1970s compared to now. Stuffs getting better, and it's because the government both federal and state have set goals and spurred the industry. It's a good thing.
The new toilets are a joke and LED lights don't last that much longer for the cost. They also contain mercury which pollutes.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:38 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by samfloor View Post
The new toilets are a joke and LED lights don't last that much longer for the cost. They also contain mercury which pollutes.
Correction here. LED light bulbs do not contain any mercury. However, fluorescent lights and CFL'S (Compact Fluorescent Lights) do contain mercury. California has banned incandescent lights and fluorescent lights are next. LED lights do not contain any mercury or any other heavy metal for that matter.
One good thing about LED lights is that for an equivalent of a 60 watt incandescent light bulb an equivalent LED light only draws 11 watts. Quite a considerable savings in electric bill and the light is much "cleaner" and easier on the eyes than and incandescent or fluorescent light.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:31 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRB View Post
Correction here. LED light bulbs do not contain any mercury. However, fluorescent lights and CFL'S (Compact Fluorescent Lights) do contain mercury. California has banned incandescent lights and fluorescent lights are next. LED lights do not contain any mercury or any other heavy metal for that matter.
One good thing about LED lights is that for an equivalent of a 60 watt incandescent light bulb an equivalent LED light only draws 11 watts. Quite a considerable savings in electric bill and the light is much "cleaner" and easier on the eyes than and incandescent or fluorescent light.
But they are not as bright.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:03 AM  

Twisty CFLs don't seem to last any longer than incandescents. Sometimes when they blow they literally blow a hole in the plastic base material. Makes me wonder if they are a fire hazard. A government with enough power to tell us how we must live will soon have enough power to tell us when we must go before a death panel.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:11 PM  

Incandescents not altogether gone, just harder to find and expensive.

I did write to Mrs. Obama suggesting that she might find link between high fructose corn syrup and obesity. Fruit's another story apples may have too much arsenic in them.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Shopping / Consumer Products
Bookmark this Page!