Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2011, 01:24 PM  

Tallahassee, FL
Shreveport potential landing spot for brewery

What's up guys.

I'm in the middle of business plans/etc. for the launching of a nano(soon-to-be-micro) brewery. One of the things that's up in the air is its ultimate location - which is primarily dependent on where in the continental US my wife gets a job.

Shreveport is one of those potential landing spots. Having never been there, would SP/Bossier-City be an environment where a small brewery/pub could thrive? I ask because I know the majority of brewery/craft beer influence for the state is toward the Southeast, and also out of my own ignorance. However, I do know that 2011 will see the 3rd annual brew festival...

This is a serious consideration I'm making and would love to hear your input.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:03 PM  

Tallahassee, FL
One more thought

Also, in researching the great state of Louisiana's alcohol laws, I noticed that in order to qualify for a brewer's permit, I'd need to have 2 years of state residence under my belt even before submitting an application.

This got me thinking of two things:

1. Would LA law/policymakers be flexible in this provision?

2. Would local residents see an incoming brewer as an outsider, even with 2 years residence?

My plan for launching this brewery would take some time as it is, maybe a year to two years, so that's not as big a deal. If I get somewhat of a negative reaction to the above two questions - or to having a brewery in general, I have also taken into consideration crossing the TX state line to brew and working with LA's distributors to get the beer to Shreveport anyways (TX allows for self-distribution).

Old 05-25-2011, 07:58 PM  

i just read this post. i would live to see a brewing presence in shreveport and we have a growing support base of craft beer drinkers. a brewpub would be a much easier proposition to start with i think. the three tiered system and the power of big beer industry make it a fairly inhospitable environment. i would check with some of the newer/smaller breweries in south la and get some feedback from those guys on what they have been through in getting started. shreveport is a tricky town in which to open up anything new so i'm cautiously optimistic. there is not another craft-beer black hole anywhere in the country like the one from jackson mississippi to dallas. i'd double check the texas laws as well- i'm not sure that you can self-distribute there(i could be wrong). good luck and i promise my full support to you if you come.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport
Bookmark this Page!