Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Sports
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2011, 04:02 PM  
fustrated genius

I thought that Guida/Henderson fight was the best of the night too, I think it won fight of the night too.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:03 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
There's always pro wrestling.
A few episodes of the Tap Out goons convinced me MMA is professional wrestling.

I'd just read this was the first MMA televised event in ages so when I blundered on the start of the match I decided to watch one round.

Your description;

"If you want to know what happened. Cain threw a few punched and kicks. Dos Santos threw a few punches then Hit Cain in the ear and knocked him down he then pounced on Cain and gave him about 6 to 7 shots in the face/ side of the head before Big John jumped in and waved it off.'

neglected to add that the punch on the ear had no follow through since the blow fell partially on the shoulder where the wrist struck Cain. The rain of punches to the face lacked authority or reason to stop a contest.

My first look at Velasquez startled me as I was unaware we now allowed missing links on TV.

I'm not a fan of any of this crap. The fighters are mini Listons & Tysons but then MMA is really just a street brawl pretending as a sport.

It did appear Cain may have thrown that fight.
Cain Valasquez Vs Junior Dos Santos-ali.jpg 

Cain Valasquez Vs Junior Dos Santos-be047629.jpg 

Cain Valasquez Vs Junior Dos Santos-tyson1.jpg 

Cain Valasquez Vs Junior Dos Santos-az_49648_unforgivable-blackness-rise-fall-jack-johnson-score-_wynton-marsalis.jpg 

Cain Valasquez Vs Junior Dos Santos-johnson-jack-22.jpg 

Cain Valasquez Vs Junior Dos Santos-jack-johnson-1910-fight1.jpg 

Cain Valasquez Vs Junior Dos Santos-muhammed-ali.jpg 

Cain Valasquez Vs Junior Dos Santos-gordon-parks6.jpg 

Cain Valasquez Vs Junior Dos Santos-halsman39.jpg 

Old 11-16-2011, 05:58 PM  
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɯnɹoɟ

VA
Far from it Blucher - far from it...

The Crapout show is a bad representation of what the sport is about. And your armchair referee analysis is laughable at best.

First you accuse the sport of being 'fixed' and fighters taking a fall (similar to WWE)
Then you go on to call it a 'street brawl pretending to be a sport'.

Once upon a time, I might have agreed with you on point #2. Over the past decade or so the sport has fought very hard for legitimacy and many rules and regulations have been put into place to maintain the safety of the fighters. If this sport was a 'glorified streetfight' then why was Kimbo booted from the UFC (and every other reputable organization at that)

While I can understand that some of the **** media (like Crapout and dare I say it - The Ultimate Fighter) that glamorizes the drama aspect of this sport, has possibly further jaded your already jaded view. I still think that until you have gotten in there and actually trained, or exposed yourself to some of the regiment that some of these fighters do your opinions are just that. (And ignorant I might add)
Old 11-17-2011, 06:50 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
You can fit at least 3 3 round fights into 1 hour. They fit 1 5 round fight that lasted 2.5 minutes. I missed the under card was on facebook. I am not on facebook a whole lot.

The fight its self was great. I love a good ear punch KO. But the whole format over all is what SUCKED azz hard core.

You are basing your view of the entire MMA (NOT just UFC) one one 2 minute fight.

First Let me say if the ref feels a fighter is not defending himself (Which Cain was not doing) he stoppes the fight. If a fighter gets KOed he doesn't get a 10 count to get up and shake the cobwebs off. MMA fighters are NOT street brawlers. These are highly skilled fighters that are trained in Boxing, wresting, BJJ, Kick boxing, and many other types of fighting. Many of the top level fighters travel around the world to train with the best in each discipline.

And as for Tapout. Them guys were and still ARE AWESOME. Mask was a great person who did much for the sport. They started selling tee shirts out of the back of a rusty van. They WORKED their ASSES off to become one of the most sought after sponsors out there. They are fair treat their fighters right and if you get past the looks they are GREAT people.

You didn't see the show where they went to Hawaii and looked at an amateur fighter. This guys dream was to make it to the UFC He trained hard he worked at the placed he trained he lived at the gym because he didn't have a home. Mask and the other Tapout guys hooked him up with an apartment and a fridge stocked full and some furniture. I bet DON KING never did that for a low level fighter. It really upsets me that you are talking smack about guys who you seen on a show 2 or 3 times. When they are GREAT people.

Last time I looked I have not seen an MMA fight that ended because someone bit the ear off their opposition. Last time I looked I haven't seen a high level MMA fighter in prison because he BEAT his WIFE. The Mob isn't paying off MMA fighters to throw fights. Don King Rode Mike Tyson like a $3 whore. He ran Mike into the ground then dumped him on the side of the road.

Here is one of my Personal Favorite fighters.

Shinya Aoki.

Here is some Submission wrestling

No matter what this is one of the best KO's EVER.

While I am no Anderson Silva Fan. He is one hell of a fighter.

Jon "Bones" Jones.

Matt Hughes a God loving Gun totting hunter that will sit and talk shop with any fan. A very good friend of mine got to met Matt and he truly was a nice guy.

Randy Couture 47 years old and STILL kickin ass and takin names.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:16 PM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post

It did appear Cain may have thrown that fight.
There was a show I saw that had a guage thing there that showed the PSI of a MMA fighter's punch. It was very much over the needed force to crush the skull, ( I can't remeber precisely) let alone knock someone down. The blow was right behind the left ear. That causes your equalibrium to skatter and all balance is lost. Then Dos Santos leaped on him and started whaling away. The fight wasn't fixed, the fight was not stopped too early. Valasquez made absolutely no excuses, and Dos Santos was able to stop him early. It happens in MMA.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:28 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
If this sport was a 'glorified streetfight' then why was Kimbo booted from the UFC (and every other reputable organization at that)

While I can understand that some of the **** media (like Crapout and dare I say it - The Ultimate Fighter) that glamorizes the drama aspect of this sport, has possibly further jaded your already jaded view.
Is Kimbo a monkey? His name is new to me but I thought it a great name for a chimp.

I can't be jaded by ignoring MMA completely. That was not a fight but I'm not really sure what it actually was. I've watched much better street brawls.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:32 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR

Quote:
It really upsets me that you are talking smack about guys who you seen on a show 2 or 3 times. When they are GREAT people.
Many would say the same about wrestlers. Hey, enjoy it but make it PPV please.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:27 PM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post

Is Kimbo a monkey? His name is new to me but I thought it a great name for a chimp.

I can't be jaded by ignoring MMA completely. That was not a fight but I'm not really sure what it actually was. I've watched much better street brawls.
wow, Kimbo Slice is not a monkey. He was a street brawler who found out MMA was not the same. . . . Better not call him that to his face.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:53 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR

Quote:
Better not call him that to his face.
thugzilla huh?
Old 11-18-2011, 06:11 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
Kimbo Slice is FAR from a poster boy for MMA. He got his start on youtube where he would go around with his idiot thug buddies and they would pay people to let kimbo punch them and see if he could KO them. Then it turned into back yard STREET brawls. Then He got into MMA Bas Ruten (The Godfather of MMA) refused to train Kimbo because of his past.

That is why when Kimbo was on TUF Roy "Cheeseburger Cheeseburger" Nelson laied on him and love tapped him in the face for 30 seconds and he lost the fight. Kimbo has ZERO ground game. He had bad knees that have shown to be a huge weakness. One kick and he is done for.

That was a fight. MMA fights don't need to go 30 rounds of two idiots bashing each others barins out. Just look where that got Muhamad Ali. He can't even say his name. He can't even stand up with out someone holding him up. He can how ever make one hell of a martini. Shaken not stirred.

To me there is way more THUGS in Boxing than in MMA. There are more thrown fights in Boxing then there ever will be in MMA.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Sports
Bookmark this Page!

« the GOAT? | Powder »

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads