Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Sports
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2010, 01:47 PM  

Charlottesville, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicase50 View Post
I did gymnastics for about 10 years and took a couple pole classes when I was out of town and they had them. I loved them but if it hadn't been for gymnastics I would have failed. Only reason I know, okay and I have a few friends who do it um professionally.

Haha... I am laughing. We had a girl come into the studio to take lessons a few weeks ago. She was a "professional" pole dancer so they put her in the class I am in thinking she had "experience". Now I personally have actually never been to a club where they pole dance professionally so I can't speak about all pole dancers in that setting, but this girl was hilarious... she couldn't do anything that took her feet off the ground. It was fun having her in class and I really liked her a lot, but they had to move her down to the beginner class to get some basics, then she quit because it was too hard.

With a gymnastics background you'd be way ahead of the curve of the average girl walking in, certainly ahead of me because my gymnastics days are a LONG time ago. I wish you lived nearby so I could get you into my class!!

Old 10-20-2010, 03:14 PM  
running around

Syracuse, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngirl View Post
Haha... I am laughing. We had a girl come into the studio to take lessons a few weeks ago. She was a "professional" pole dancer so they put her in the class I am in thinking she had "experience". Now I personally have actually never been to a club where they pole dance professionally so I can't speak about all pole dancers in that setting, but this girl was hilarious... she couldn't do anything that took her feet off the ground. It was fun having her in class and I really liked her a lot, but they had to move her down to the beginner class to get some basics, then she quit because it was too hard.

With a gymnastics background you'd be way ahead of the curve of the average girl walking in, certainly ahead of me because my gymnastics days are a LONG time ago. I wish you lived nearby so I could get you into my class!!
Some "professionals" are really good, others not so good. It all depends on the club and the girl ( I have a lot of male friends and a few friends who are "professionals"). I am sure some could do amazing in the class.

Gymnasts who do bars have the most advantage in the class because you have to use a lot of similar muscles and techniques. I just wish there were classes by me.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:18 PM  
Witchy Woman

Tx
Sorry.. THAT is not a sport. That is what strippers do.. or wanna be strippers.

*ugh*... Yes people do it to "exercise" or to turn on their man or whatever but its not a sport. I don't care who says it is.. its not.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:29 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbrokegirl View Post
Sorry.. THAT is not a sport. That is what strippers do.. or wanna be strippers.

*ugh*... Yes people do it to "exercise" or to turn on their man or whatever but its not a sport. I don't care who says it is.. its not.
Tell me what is a TRUE sport than by your standards?

and if you say baseball or football I'm gonna laugh at you, and probably keep laughing at you for a long time.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:43 AM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
competition+physical/mental effort=sport.

as far as i see it, if you are exerting yourself in a competition of skill, its a sport.

i suppose sporting clays, chess, curling, gymnastics, auto racing, ect aren't sports in your book either?

EDIT: after more thought i have more to add

to me something like this is sporting in it's rawest form. there are no teams to worry about, no contracts to worry about, probably very little money to worry about. it may have been born from stripping, but to me this no less artistic then the many gymnastic styles we see in the olympics.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:17 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
I'm going to have to say it's a sport. Gymnastics is a sport, they do stuff on poles.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:40 AM  

Port Richey, Florida
...Hmmm...I have a hard enough time holding myself up against a brick wall now and then......let alone tryin' to do it on that skinny pole...Definitely a sport...
Old 10-22-2010, 03:48 PM  

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcache View Post

i suppose sporting clays, chess, curling, gymnastics, auto racing, ect aren't sports in your book either?
Kinda going off on a tangent but I would say only 1.5 of those is a true "sport." Gymnastics is a sport, curling is kind of a sport. Racing aint a sport, its racing. Chess aint a sport, its a game.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:54 PM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
define 'sport' then

EDIT:

pulled from the websters site;

as a verb:

a : a source of diversion : recreation
b : sexual play
c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in

i suppose i could see chess being classed as a sort of 'mental' sport. curling requires excellent muscle memory and precision and racing requires endurance and precision as well as physical strength. both of those, as far as i can see would fall under 'sport'.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:27 PM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
Quote:
Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports. . . all others are games.

Possibly Ernest Hemingway, but maybe not..

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Sports
Bookmark this Page!