Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Sports
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2010, 08:15 PM  
running around

Syracuse, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7bars View Post
Kinda going off on a tangent but I would say only 1.5 of those is a true "sport." Gymnastics is a sport, curling is kind of a sport. Racing aint a sport, its racing. Chess aint a sport, its a game.
please go race mx or a few kind of cars or other motorcycles and tell my you don't have to be physically fit or you don't work when you are doing them.

And I think it is a sport for the skill and physical abilities needed to be able to complete the "tasks". It is a workout, if you think gymnastics is a sport than well you better think this is too.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:36 AM  

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcache View Post
define 'sport' then

EDIT:

pulled from the websters site;

as a verb:

a : a source of diversion : recreation
b : sexual play
c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in

i suppose i could see chess being classed as a sort of 'mental' sport. curling requires excellent muscle memory and precision and racing requires endurance and precision as well as physical strength. both of those, as far as i can see would fall under 'sport'.
I guess my definition of "sport" varies from Webster's then. I don't see anything that is a source of diversion or recreation as a sport. If that's the case then playing video games, smoking pot, or going to the movies is also a "sport".

I don't think there's any such thing as a "mental" sport. IMO, "sport" means physical activity. If chess is a "sport" simply because it requires practice and skill, then taking the SAT is a sport, putting together puzzles is a sport, doing crossword puzzles is a sport, writing an essay is a sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicase50 View Post
please go race mx or a few kind of cars or other motorcycles and tell my you don't have to be physically fit or you don't work when you are doing them.

And I think it is a sport for the skill and physical abilities needed to be able to complete the "tasks". It is a workout, if you think gymnastics is a sport than well you better think this is too.
I guess "racing" would need to be further specified. I'm a drag racer, so when I think of "racing" my mind immediately goes to automotive drag racing - which aint much of a sport. In retrospect, there are plenty of types of racing that would be sports.

I've never said pole dancing aint a sport. Its unconventional, but it requires a ton of physical strength, endurance, and skill.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:29 AM  
Witchy Woman

Tx
So... your saying rubbing your ***** up and down a pole is a sport?

I guess giving **** **** will be the next sport..huh?

God what is this world coming to.... :/
Old 10-26-2010, 07:17 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbrokegirl View Post

Hows does pole dancing have anything to do with sexual conduct?
Old 10-26-2010, 09:05 AM  

Charlottesville, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbrokegirl View Post

Well if that's all pole dancing is, then I would agree with you. If you read through all the posts you would see that we agree there is pole dancing that really is nothing more than stripping in clubs and not much actual sport talent involved...

Pole dancing has taken on a whole new level in the past few years. It has a lot of prior negative connotations so it is tough to convince anyone that it is really becoming a sport because of the prior stereotypes which you clearly only see, and that's fine if that is what you want to think. I only started this thread to show people that there is a whole new sport out there that few people realize.

I will say though, if you agree that gymnastics is a sport, then you can't really deny that pole dancing has now also become a sport... there is little difference in them now except one is on a vertical pole. This is what I do and I do resent anyone telling me that all I do is what you describe above. I am not the type of girl to ever use it in a way other than a sport, and anyone who knows me personally knows that it took a lot of courage for me to even try it because I also had the wrong impression of what it is.

What I do is really tough, take great strength and agility and is nothing more than a very tough sport like gymnastics is. I am very proud of it actually. I have a pole in my basement now and I train on it very hard.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:55 AM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
in competition, is a standard sized pole used? how tall is it?
Old 10-28-2010, 11:06 AM  

Charlottesville, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcache View Post
in competition, is a standard sized pole used? how tall is it?
I've seen competitions on several sizes of poles but they're usually fairly tall and most competitions are on a stage with two poles, one to spin and one stationary. Heights range based on the facilities available for the competition ... there was recently a competition here in Charlottesville at our Paramount Theatre, a very beautiful old venue on our downtown mall, and they setup two poles that had to have been at least 12 feet tall each on stage.

A side note, I'm very disappointed this week because last night I missed my classes since I had to be in Memphis for work and my flights were all delayed so I didn't get back in time ... guess that means I need to compensate with more basement practice time til next week
Old 10-28-2010, 02:33 PM  

Charlotte, North Carolina
Keep Posting

Ma'am; wow; I didn't know about this. The dynamic's withing the disicpline; wow ''what'' a body workout. {of course; sexy too} A well conditioned body; is the "work of art";

I have done the motorcross; cross country; road racing; plus some other outdoor sports. All requiring to be/staying in fairly good shape. {you weren't born then } hahaha
Old 10-28-2010, 05:43 PM  

Charlottesville, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by neophyte View Post
Ma'am; wow; I didn't know about this. The dynamic's withing the disicpline; wow ''what'' a body workout. {of course; sexy too} A well conditioned body; is the "work of art";

I have done the motorcross; cross country; road racing; plus some other outdoor sports. All requiring to be/staying in fairly good shape. {you weren't born then } hahaha

I have always done sports involving boats or bikes or just simple running (I don't do court sports) - you have me on the motorcross - I've never done that, but I do ride my little suzuki dr off-road; so getting into pole dancing was a whole new experience for me.

I love the feminine graceful nature of pole dancing, contrary to the more rugged sports I am use to. I do not have rhythm and I am not naturally graceful so I am having to learn both And yes, it is super sexy too. I love it. I have also never had stronger core strength than I am developing now... and there are always new moves to learn.

Thanks for such a nice post!

I bet you're not as old as you say - or I'm not as young as you think - I just stay young
Old 10-28-2010, 07:40 PM  

Huntsville, AL
First of all, pole dancing has my ringing endorsement. Secondly, its origins are from stripping to sexually excite men. You can sugar coat it all you want, but that's the truth. Again, I'm all for it, but don't get bent out of shape if people associate it with sex.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Sports
Bookmark this Page!