Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Missouri > St Louis
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2010, 08:27 AM  

St Charles, MO
Pork Steaks came about from butchers having to take cuts of meat from there suppliers that were not popular around here like the pork butt and cutting it into steaks so it would sell. Best way i do them is to get them thick cut from the butcher about 1inch. Rub the3m with a pork rub then smoke them over low heat.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:51 PM  

St. Louis, MO, MO
I grew up in St. Louis and I have to say that I'm probably one of the few people who can't stand pork steaks. I'm not sure how you make pork fat MORE greasy, but the pork steak seems to hold the answer. But to each his/her own. Not sure how I feel about my city being known for meat that comes from the hind end of a pig!

Old 11-24-2010, 02:01 PM  

saint charles, mo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castleking View Post
I grew up in St. Louis and I have to say that I'm probably one of the few people who can't stand pork steaks. I'm not sure how you make pork fat MORE greasy, but the pork steak seems to hold the answer. But to each his/her own. Not sure how I feel about my city being known for meat that comes from the hind end of a pig!
They don't come from the butt of the pig, that would be ham.

pork butt is actually the shoulder. Its the same piece of meat u would use for shredded pork.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:59 PM  
Go Blues!

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
I also don't find the meat "greasy" especially when smoked? Never really thought of anything other than fried bacon as greasy?

Old 12-16-2010, 10:26 AM  

Austin, Texas
Wiki as always has some info. I think my gf's mom generally goes to the butcher shop and asks for Shoulder Roast Steaks and they cut her exactly a pork steak. fwiw
Old 12-20-2010, 04:52 PM  

St. Louis, Missouri
My recipe

I've adapted my recipe from a Cook's country recipe that tries to replicate local styles.

Here are my steps

1) Salt and pepper the steaks
2) Cook over hot coals for a couple minutes per side to char a bit
3) In a disposal aluminum pan mix bbq sauce and a homebrew beer in a ration of 1:1 until I have enough sauce to cover the steaks
4) Add steaks to the sauce and cover with foil
5) Flip every 30 minutes (Cook for about 2 hours until tender)
6) Once tender, remove from the juice and put on the grill to brown (about 30 seconds per side)
7) Take off the heat and serve
8) Put sauce in a bowl to serve as a topping. It normally reduces enough in two hours of cooking to be a decent sauce without any changes.

Depending on who I cook for I change the spices used and the sauce used. I think traditionally people recommend Maul's local sauce, but I've used many different bbq sauces.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:47 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdenova View Post
I moved here from Utah, and I'd never heard of them before. Same with Toasted Ravioli

And nobody here knows about Fry Sauce!
Not to hijack the thread, but what is fry sauce? Stopped in a 5 Guys in SLC, and can't find that sauce here.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Missouri > St Louis
Bookmark this Page!