Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Missouri > St Louis
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2010, 02:20 PM  

St. Louis, Missouri
Best indoor shooting range?

There are a number of indoor ranges around STL, but I have yet to find one that has decent rates and isn't a bit of a dump. Although I think it's a bit high ($17/h) Top Gun in Arnold/Imperial seems to be the nicest that I've personally tried. Anyone else have a better or comparable and less expensive range?

Old 11-23-2010, 02:42 PM  

St. Louis, MO, MO
Top Gun is a great range. I used to be a member there and will probably renew my membership soon. I let it lapse only because I was hoping On Target would be able to finish their range and I live much closer to Valley Park (On Target) than I do to Arnold (Top Gun). Unfortunately, On Target seems to be having some difficulties getting their range finished.

if you look at the yearly cost of a membership at Top Gun, it really is a good deal. If you plan to shoot once a month, then the membership more than pays for itself. The staff there are great too, especially for new shooters.

Hope that helps.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:47 AM  

St. Louis, Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castleking View Post
Top Gun is a great range. I used to be a member there and will probably renew my membership soon. I let it lapse only because I was hoping On Target would be able to finish their range and I live much closer to Valley Park (On Target) than I do to Arnold (Top Gun). Unfortunately, On Target seems to be having some difficulties getting their range finished.

if you look at the yearly cost of a membership at Top Gun, it really is a good deal. If you plan to shoot once a month, then the membership more than pays for itself. The staff there are great too, especially for new shooters.

Hope that helps.
I live closer to On Target as well and look forward to it opening, supposedly at the beginning of 2011. Until then its Top Gun. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:45 PM  

St. Louis, Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBillC View Post
There are a number of indoor ranges around STL, but I have yet to find one that has decent rates and isn't a bit of a dump. Although I think it's a bit high ($17/h) Top Gun in Arnold/Imperial seems to be the nicest that I've personally tried. Anyone else have a better or comparable and less expensive range?
Which ones have you been to that are dumps / too expensive? I know the parking at Bullseye STINKS. Have not been to the new range near St Peters / O'Fallon. Any clues?
Old 12-21-2010, 06:09 PM  

St Louis, MO
Bullseye is HORRIBLE. Avoid at all costs.
Will never get screwed by these guys again Other than being extremely rude, these guys are liars and thieves. I went to the range with my father and sister (all of us over 35) and the old grump behind the counter told us we would have to all share one lane because there was training going on. Ok, no problem. Then he proceeds to waste 15 minutes of our time lecturing us about how someone shot their target dolley (whatever it's called). Anyway, we shot one in rotation on one lane, while three lanes on the right and left of us remained open the entire hour we were there. When we went to pay, we were charged for THREE hours. Why? Because there were three of us. When I complained, his excuse was that if they let people share a lane at the normal rate, people would be overflowing into ... Other than being extremely rude, these guys are liars and thieves. I went to the range with my father and sister (all of us over 35) and the old grump behind the counter told us we would have to all share one lane because there was training going on. Ok, no problem. Then he proceeds to waste 15 minutes of our time lecturing us about how someone shot their target dolley (whatever it's called). Anyway, we shot one in rotation on one lane, while three lanes on the right and left of us remained open the entire hour we were there. When we went to pay, we were charged for THREE hours. Why? Because there were three of us. When I complained, his excuse was that if they let people share a lane at the normal rate, people would be overflowing into the aisles. How can you argue with a guy who has an entire arsenal strapped to his body, and who already has your credit card???? NEVER again will I enter this trap, and I will warn everyone I know about them.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:43 AM  

Saint Charles, MO
You should be aware that there was a fire at TOP GUN, involving the range itself, about 6 weeks ago. They are expecting it to be open again hopefully some time in February, 2011. MEANWHILE -- go visit these folks even though you can't shoot there. They are friendly, knowlegable, sane, patient people who have earned my respect. The advice is well worth whatever they charge. These people know their stuff and they have gone out of their way to help me and my wife with our CCW needs.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:58 AM  

St. Louis, Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaddude View Post
You should be aware that there was a fire at TOP GUN, involving the range itself, about 6 weeks ago. They are expecting it to be open again hopefully some time in February, 2011. MEANWHILE -- go visit these folks even though you can't shoot there. They are friendly, knowlegable, sane, patient people who have earned my respect. The advice is well worth whatever they charge. These people know their stuff and they have gone out of their way to help me and my wife with our CCW needs.

Good to know about that fire. I am looking to do some target shooting near my house, and that is the closest I can find so far.

I live in House Springs, Mo. Anyone know of any place closer to me than Top Gun?
Old 01-06-2011, 09:46 AM  
CB4

St. Louis, MO
another vote for Top Gun in Arnold.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:13 AM  

St. Louis, Missouri
Bullseye is terrible. They are very rude and are liars and it's too expensive. It's 17 dollars a person even if you have one lane. The gun rental is around 10 dollars and you must shoot their ammo in it. 50 rounds of 9mm is 21 dollars from them which is way over priced. You can't shoot the targets low or high,in the middle only. They don't like you putting the target past 7 yards(atleast for us they complained). The guy at the counter wouldnt let us split the bill on 2 credit cards because "they're too busy". there was no one there. for 3 of us to shoot for 45 minutes cost $dollars, and that was renting oen gun and brinding one of our own. The bulding is terrible and the parking is as well. I well never go back. Top gun is a great range. I've never been to Ultimate Defense range in St. peters but friends tell me they like it and the people are helpful and nice.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:00 AM  

St. Louis, MO, MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder29 View Post
Good to know about that fire. I am looking to do some target shooting near my house, and that is the closest I can find so far.

I live in House Springs, Mo. Anyone know of any place closer to me than Top Gun?

Top Gun is a great range and yes, they hope to be open sometime in Feb 2011.

Another good range is Sovereign Arms at Hwy 21 and Hwy 141. The range is much smaller (4 lanes and only 45' or so), but still a good range. The owner of the range and gun shop there is a fantastic guy. I admit that his prices used to be a bit higher than other shops in town, but recently he has increased his web presence and his pricing for both guns AND AMMO are much, much better. I took a friend to shoot there this week and the .38 sp rounds we bought were actually cheaper than at Wal-Mart! You might want to check it out.

On Target has a shop in Valley Park which might be closer to you if you are close to Hwy 44. They are scheduled to open their range in Mar, 2011, but they have benn "scheduled to open" for almost a year now. If they do get their range open, it might be a good option too.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Missouri > St Louis
Bookmark this Page!