Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Florida > Tampa
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2011, 06:46 AM  
Kevin

Tarpon Springs, Florida
Just to be clear here, I do not like this scott guy, I don't like the people that have a lot of money and ties to everything. I think that he got in there so that he could profit from the people, and make his "friends" profit from the people. I think we need people in the office that make a middle class wage, not a millionaire to rule us, but a normal person to speak for us.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:12 AM  

Riverview, Florida
Maybe before the State thinks about building anymore Rail Projects they should look at the train to Nowhere in Tampa. The only rider there is the Conductor.

It's not Governments place to create jobs. Even though they seem to have half of the population thinking that way. It's their job to get the hell out of Business's way and let them create the jobs. Government just keeps piling on more Regulation, Taxes, Fees and Paperwork. This creates loss of profit which creates layoffs. Then they extend Unemployment insurance which makes the unemployed less likely to look for a job if there were any.

But the spending goes on.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:58 AM  

Palm Beach County
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel16m View Post
Just to be clear here, I do not like this scott guy, I don't like the people that have a lot of money and ties to everything. I think that he got in there so that he could profit from the people, and make his "friends" profit from the people. I think we need people in the office that make a middle class wage, not a millionaire to rule us, but a normal person to speak for us.
What does that have to do with the train?

If the governor is correct about the future financial liability of the train, I agree with not building it.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:43 PM  

Tampa, Florida
Personally the biggest drawback I see is the lack of mass transit infrastructure at the termination points. Yeah, it would be nice to get to Orlando from Tampa in less time without driving, but unless dramatic improvements are made in the public transportation system at each terminus I would have no reason to use it.
Also, if it had even a slight chance of being profitable it would have been privately built years ago.
And just for the record, with no thought to the train issue, our governor is a freaking asshat.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:25 PM  

Orlando, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel16m View Post
That sounds like a good deal in theory, but most middle class everyday Joe's lack the resources, connections and mentality required to run for office. The qualities that allow politicians to sleep at night despite severe scrutiny and constant turmoil in office also tend to be the qualities that help people get wealthy. Even if they got a lower wage citing "public service", many of them would then believe that we owe them something so they would justify more shady deals in their own minds.

Scott was a questionable candidate, but so are the rest of them (not just Governor candidates!). Sink of course cleaned out BofA and laid off thousands of workers without thinking twice, to boost her own bonus. She also gave her buddies there a no-bid contract with state pension money, and lost a bunch for us. Scott claims that the medicare fraud claim was due to quickly changing rules and too little time to comply, and they also bought hospitals that were not in compliance, inheriting problems. Questionable as a good CEO would do due diligence before buying troubled hospitals, and if rules changed with short deadlines, suits would be filed to delay enforcement. That leads me to believe that he was either incompetent or just crooked, or maybe both.

The task for the average voter is to determine which one sucks the least!
Old 04-27-2011, 06:20 PM  

Nashville, Tennessee
It would make more sense to run a light rail from tampa to st.pete. I jumped on the light rail in denver, co for a baseball game and dumped us off right by the stadium. So cool! I think both tampa and st.pete would benefit greatly since the traffic sucks there! Just my
Old 04-28-2011, 07:06 AM  

Riverview, Florida
I have no use for a rail system any more than I do for Cities and their functions. But that's just me. However, as someone said earlier, if there was any possibility of profits from such a system, a private entity would have built one already.

Look back a few decades and see if you can come up with one thing the Government built that ever made a dime.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:53 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
This was always going to happen

High Speed Rail works well other places but it's not practical with our present enemy.

HTML Code:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/05/us-usa-security-trains-idUSTRE7447VS20110505?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews
Al Qaeda plotted 9/11 anniversary rail attack

Quote:
(Reuters) - Al Qaeda considered attacking the U.S. rail sector on the 10th anniversary of the September 11 attacks, U.S. government officials said on Thursday in describing intelligence from Osama bin Laden's hide-out in Pakistan.

They said some evidence was found indicating that the al Qaeda leader or his associates had engaged in discussions or planning for a possible attack on a train inside the United States on September 11, 2011.

"We have no information of any imminent terrorist threat to the U.S. rail sector, but wanted to make our partners aware of the alleged plotting," spokesman Matthew Chandler said of an intelligence message the Department of Homeland Security sent on Thursday.

The department and other U.S. agencies have been reviewing the treasure trove of information from bin Laden's compound in Pakistan seized by the United States during the raid this week that killed the al Qaeda leader.

The information indicated that one possible tactic for attacking a train was trying to somehow tip it off its tracks, one official said.

The official said that it appeared from the information that this was an idea that bin Laden or his associates considered, but there was no indication now from the intelligence that further plans were drawn up for the scheme or that steps were taken to carry it out.

Another official said al Qaeda in February last year contemplated the rail attack to occur on the 10th anniversary of the hijacked plane attacks on the World Trade Center in New York and the Pentagon, but the group was not tied to that exact date.

Since the raid, the Department of Homeland Security has taken a number of steps in reviewing measures at all potential terrorist targets, including transportation systems across the country. It added more officers at airports and at the borders.

Department spokesman Chandler said the alleged al Qaeda plot was based on "initial reporting, which is often misleading or inaccurate and subject to change."

He added, "We remain at a heightened state of vigilance," but said there were no plans to raise the national threat level.

Officials have long been concerned that al Qaeda might try to carry out attacks on the U.S. rail system.

In 2008, U.S. authorities warned of a possible al Qaeda threat to transit systems in and around New York City over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.

Last year, an Afghan immigrant pleaded guilty in New York to plotting a suicide bombing campaign on Manhattan's subway system in what U.S. authorities described as one of the most serious threats since the September 11 attacks.
Japan has had bullet trains since 1964.
High Speed Rail, Jobs and the Governor-bullet_train.jpg 

High Speed Rail, Jobs and the Governor-japan_bullet_train_3.jpg 

High Speed Rail, Jobs and the Governor-japanese-bullet-train-shinkansen.jpg 

High Speed Rail, Jobs and the Governor-japanese-bullet-train-500x337.jpg 

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Florida > Tampa
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads