Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2011, 12:16 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
I use Trend Micro. love it.

Norton is just a beast when it comes to taking up space and slowing systems down.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:31 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
I used to be a huge Norton fan. Till I tried Kaspersky. It is smaller and doesn't use resources like Norton (Even though they say it doesn't). The updates are not as large either. Don't feel bad for running Norton it is still a very good AV program. Mcaffee is the one I won't touch with a 1k mile poll.

AVG is good for a free AV. I know tons of people who run it. I install it on any machine where I have to reinstall the OS. I then install a free firewall just to be safe. Comodo is a great firewall and free to boot. Firewall Antivirus Software Free Download from Comodo?

Another Free AV to look at is Microsofts Security Essentials. Virus, Spyware & Malware Protection | Microsoft Security Essentials

Old 07-31-2011, 03:50 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Well, let me lay down on the leather sofa and tell you all my problems doc! It started when I chose, for personal reasons (running stock tallies, helping dad, etc) to keep AOL as my primary ISP. I received an important Microsoft update for malware safeguards, and upon installing it, it appears it recognized AOL as malware and stopped it from working on my computer. I went to a few computer savvy friends who advised I am not the only one with this problem, and recommended that I restore to a previous date to solve my glitch. I must have restored so far back that it eliminated my software ugrades. I have since cancelled the AOL account, but still use it for mail purposes, and use Internet Explorer for the web. My concern is now when I recieve important information from the Red Cross (my fun job!) it is either a power point or Word Doc., and no longer can open these files.
I will second the alternative office suite suggestion. LibreOffice would be my preferred recommendation right now. Most FOSS (free open-source software) office suites have all the important features of commercial suites, minus the cost. My company uses OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice (which are basically the same program) on all of its machines.

LibreOffice and OpenOffice.org will open and edit powerpoint and word docs.

LibreOffice forked from OpenOffice.org earlier this year, over concerns that Oracle was hostile to Free and Open Source software. I think OO.o was donated to Apache a couple months ago, but I haven't yet reviewed it.

We've got Windows represented thus far; I'll be happy to speak Linux and/or FOSS to anyone who wants to know (And I'll try my best to avoid turning it into a *nix/windows/mac pissing contest)
Old 07-31-2011, 04:16 PM  

My daughter is a Mac lover, and just laughs when I grumble about my problems.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:39 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
Don't let her fool you Mac's have problems too.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:39 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
My daughter is a Mac lover, and just laughs when I grumble about my problems.
All systems have their flaws; all have their benefits. For a lot of people, windows is plenty adequate.

I struggled for years to make Windows fit my needs. I'd tried Linux several times, but always came back with the impression that switching would have been more of a hassle than making Windows work right. Eventually, that wasn't the case.

I've been running Ubuntu since 2005, and exclusively since the end of 2006. That's not to say that I haven't had problems - I've had some real annoying ones. But for me, the problems I've had with Linux have been far fewer and less frequent than the ones I've had with windows, and groups like Ubuntuforums.com have been far more helpful than ExpertSexChange (ExpertsExchange)
Old 07-31-2011, 05:18 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
I personally hate Mac with a passion. I am a Windows fan threw and threw, i'm not saying
it is perfect but far FAR better then Mac.

I don't have enough experience with Linux to make an opinion about it.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:27 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
Linux is the worst thing out there as far as an OS. I HATE LINUX and i HATE linux fanboys. Ubuntu is not a REAL linux. It is been so dumbed down and has so many holes in it Shoot it has more holes than Windows Vista or 7.

I works with Windows mac and Linux. I am working on a certification that involves setting up a linux server. If you miss a command type a command wrong you have to start all over.

Linux Fanboys piss me off. Because they can never ever give you a a straight answer. If they do give you a straight answer it is snobbish and condescending.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:26 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
Vista was horrible yes. But they made huge improvements when 7 came out.

I use 7 and it isn't the best but I like it.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:59 PM  

I actually like 7, but again, that is all I've had to work with for quite awhile.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.