Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2011, 09:47 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
I have seen the set up for the new windows. It is horrible. It is supposed to work like
the tablet operating systems. So freakin stupid. If I wanted a tablet OS I would get a tablet.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:54 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurdoc34 View Post
Linux is the worst thing out there as far as an OS. I HATE LINUX and i HATE linux fanboys. Ubuntu is not a REAL linux.
So much for refraining from a pissing contest.
Quote:

It is been so dumbed down and has so many holes in it Shoot it has more holes than Windows Vista or 7.

I works with Windows mac and Linux. I am working on a certification that involves setting up a linux server. If you miss a command type a command wrong you have to start all over.
These are awfully broad generalizations.

1. What holes are you talking about?

2. Yes, Ubuntu is a step towards user-friendliness. I ignore most of the "friendlier" aspects - the "Ubuntu Software Center" for instance. It's certainly not "dumbed down", especially in comparison to Windows or Mac.

3. What are you trying to do, and how are you going about doing it?

Quote:

Linux Fanboys piss me off. Because they can never ever give you a a straight answer. If they do give you a straight answer it is snobbish and condescending.
I beg to differ. I've never had a problem getting help. I will say that the learning curve from Windows to Ubuntu was pretty steep. I had very few problems getting to the basic web-browsing/email client/office suite/media player stuff, but figuring out where to go from there to firewall, routing, email/web/file/print servers and everything else I needed to setup a well-equipped small office... That took awhile to figure out. Now, it seems pretty simple and straightforward.

I do most of my administration remotely. SSH is the greatest tool EVER. 9 times out of 10, when a family member or friend has called me with a problem, I've been able to log in to their computer from my home/laptop/phone and solve their problem from my own desk.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:30 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
Windows 8 is supposed to be really different than 7 I hear. Now it looks like windows mobile. I will never buy it. I don't like the goofy sized tiles all over the place.

Windows 8: features, screenshots, and everything else you need to know | This is my next...

windows 7 was really vist SP1 it was just a much larger service pack than normal.

A lot of people are not liking lion for the main reason they change the scroll direction. You run your scroll wheel towards you (like you are going to move the page down) and the page goes up. Only Steve Jobs would do that to people.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:46 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
Linux problem wireless drivers (Oh yes I know UBUNTU fixed it)

When trying to use linux I could never get any wireless to work. My laptop had a 3com card and we all know 3com hates linux.

I would go to the linux forum and ubuntu forums. I would ask the question after doing forum searches that would turn up thousands of USE NDIS replys. So I would go and find NDIS on my windows machine because my linux machine wouldn't connect to my wireless. Come back to the Linux machine try to install the NDIS program and could never find how to install it. Then I would go looking for how to install NDIS and I would get crickets. When I Would get answer it would be 4 lines of gibberish and nothing more. They would not tell you that you had to use command line nothing just a bunch of gibberish.

I have tried more than just ubuntu for linux. red hat, Mandriva, Debian, SUSE, Open SUSE, Fedora, CentOS.

I have talked to one linux guy that wasn't a jerk because I prefer windows. He is a guy I work with. He is a Linux savant but, he understand that not everyone is.

I have more problems now with linux based servers than I ever did when mine were windows based. They switched me from windows to Linux then my Macs had tons of problems connecting to the servers. For some reason my place runs Novell I have had more Virtual Servers blow up with Linux than I ever had with windows.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:50 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Linux problem wireless drivers (Oh yes I know UBUNTU fixed it)

When trying to use linux I could never get any wireless to work. My laptop had a 3com card and we all know 3com hates linux.

I would go to the linux forum and ubuntu forums. I would ask the question after doing forum searches that would turn up thousands of USE NDIS replys. So I would go and find NDIS on my windows machine because my linux machine wouldn't connect to my wireless. Come back to the Linux machine try to install the NDIS program and could never find how to install it. Then I would go looking for how to install NDIS and I would get crickets. When I Would get answer it would be 4 lines of gibberish and nothing more. They would not tell you that you had to use command line nothing just a bunch of gibberish.
ndiswrapper is a Linux module that allows Linux to use Windows drivers for wireless devices. (Incidentally, one of the reasons that Linux users are so anal retentive about free and open source is this exact reason. There is NO reason for manufacturers not to provide sufficient technical detail to the FOSS community for them to develop native drivers. There's NO reason for devices to be locked to a specific operating system with proprietary drivers.)

Using ndiswrapper is a last-ditch effort to make a wireless card work when the community can't get the manufacturer to even allow them work on it, let alone support it. It's a kludge, an ugly hack, to be used until the hardware needs to be replaced with hardware from a different manufacturer. (Although most manufacturers have gotten on board with FOSS. The need for kludge workarounds is diminishing rapidly.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...er/Ndiswrapper

I've had exactly one laptop - an old IBM Thinkpad, a T21 IIRC - that had wireless problems and needed ndiswrapper. Every other laptop I've setup has had wifi working "out-of-the-box"
Quote:

I have tried more than just ubuntu for linux. red hat, Mandriva, Debian, SUSE, Open SUSE, Fedora, CentOS.

I have talked to one linux guy that wasn't a jerk because I prefer windows. He is a guy I work with. He is a Linux savant but, he understand that not everyone is.
Then by all means, stick with windows. If forced to use Windows, I can get by, but it is far faster and easier for me to do what I want to do with Linux than Windows. But it did take me a few months to become as proficient in Linux as I was in Windows. How long have you been developing proficiency on Windows machines? I had spent 15 years on DOS and Windows, learning a lot of tricks and tips. The hardest thing I had to do when switching from Windows was to sit down and say "I know absolutely nothing about computers." It took me several frustrating MONTHS before I was back up to a similar level of proficiency.
Quote:

I have more problems now with linux based servers than I ever did when mine were windows based. They switched me from windows to Linux then my Macs had tons of problems connecting to the servers. For some reason my place runs Novell I have had more Virtual Servers blow up with Linux than I ever had with windows.
Define "blow up". It's been my experience that once I can accurately define the problem, the solution is usually fairly straightforward.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:19 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
OK Lets just let this Linux thing rest.

You like Linux.

I hate Linux.

Problem solved. We are crudding up the thread and getting way off track.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:28 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
I received an important Microsoft update for malware safeguards, and upon installing it, it appears it recognized AOL as malware and stopped it from working on my computer.
That might be the greatest piece of software ever written.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:13 AM  

Providence, RI
Gone, but not forgotten...

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I actually like 7, but again, that is all I've had to work with for quite awhile.

I miss Win98.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:14 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
OK Lets just let this Linux thing rest.

You like Linux.

I hate Linux.

Problem solved. We are crudding up the thread and getting way off track.
Agreed! I'll try to limit my criticism of Windows. I know it does everything that most people need it for, and I recognize that current incarnations of Linux have certain issues that would be deal-killers for a lot of people.

Blucher, I agree with you, too!
Old 08-01-2011, 01:34 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNukemYJ View Post
I have seen the set up for the new windows. It is horrible. It is supposed to work like
the tablet operating systems. So freakin stupid. If I wanted a tablet OS I would get a tablet.
Quote:
Windows 8 is supposed to be really different than 7 I hear. Now it looks like windows mobile. I will never buy it. I don't like the goofy sized tiles all over the place.

That's why I think windows 8 is just a horrible OS. It is just stupid.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Bookmark this Page!