Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2011, 11:28 AM  

Providence, RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
I hate Incredimail more than almost any software I recall. Eight years ago I built this monster and decided to run 2003 server on it. I won't use an MS client and server hated everything but Incredimail. There should be an age limit prohibiting anyone over 9 running that crap.
Nice construction job! With all those cooling fans you could probably shut down the a/c for the house!

Old 08-19-2011, 01:10 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by efbjr View Post
Nice construction job! With all those cooling fans you could probably shut down the a/c for the house!
It was my first build and I kinda went a bit nuts. I installed $100 of Papst German cooling fans. The rig was overclocked so I wanted it drafty. A big reason for Papst was how quiet they run and they never seem to wear out.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:16 PM  

I have a question...

Right now, I have switched over to Google Chrome and pretty happy with it. I now have discovered a glitch while trying to access my AOL e-mail account via Google Chrome. There are often problems where the mail will not load properly, and you will sit in limbo for many minutes.

Digging around the web, it appears to be a common problem that nobody can fix, it's just a glitch. The reason for maintaining the AOL address is because I have used it since the inception of e-mail, and many old relatives and acquaintances only know that this is how to get a hold of me. At least this is better than spending $9.99 per month for the AOL account, as the address is now free. It only took me 20 years to close it down (yeah, I'm a slow learner!).

Any ideas to help me out?
Old 08-19-2011, 02:34 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
It only took me 20 years to close it down (yeah, I'm a slow learner!).
Old Compuserve was really AOL Blue. When you terminated your membership Compuserve went right on charging you unless you told them upfront they were thieves and dated your letter as evidence.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:40 PM  

If anyone has ever attempted to cancel AOL, it is nearly impossible. I had to tell them that this was probably going to be only temporary, and by not complying with my request would cause this action to be permanent. I then advised that I had also cut up the credit card and cancelled the credit card account, so it would be in their best interest to allow me to leave temporary. With this being said, you are now going to make me check my credit card charges again!
Old 08-19-2011, 08:59 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I have a question...

Right now, I have switched over to Google Chrome and pretty happy with it. I now have discovered a glitch while trying to access my AOL e-mail account via Google Chrome. There are often problems where the mail will not load properly, and you will sit in limbo for many minutes.

Digging around the web, it appears to be a common problem that nobody can fix, it's just a glitch. The reason for maintaining the AOL address is because I have used it since the inception of e-mail, and many old relatives and acquaintances only know that this is how to get a hold of me. At least this is better than spending $9.99 per month for the AOL account, as the address is now free. It only took me 20 years to close it down (yeah, I'm a slow learner!).

Any ideas to help me out?
Yes, I have an idea.

Create a Gmail account. http://mail.google.com

"Well, gee, Rival, that's great, except I'm trying to hold on to my AOL email address because everyone already knows it."

I know. I know. Relax for a second. I'm not trying to be a smartass.

Gmail has a feature that allows you to work with other provider's email systems via pop3 and smtp instead of the web-based interface. What this means is that your gmail account will import your mail from AOL, and you will be able to read it and respond to it from gmail's web-based interface. Which (unsurprisingly) works just fine with Chrome.

More information:
Import Existing Email into a Gmail Account

Instructions on how to set up Gmail to interface with a third-party e-mail provider are here:
https://mail.google.com/support/bin/...13&topic=25414

Gmail *might* be smart enough to auto-configure your settings with just your @aol.com address. If not, I *think* the information you need to configure gmail to access your AOL accounts is here: How do I use other email applications to send and receive mail from my Classic AOL Mail account? - AOL Help

or here:
What Are the AOL Mail POP3 Settings? - About Email

If you've got a problem with google running everything you touch, I think Yahoo offers a similar service. There are also stand-alone e-mail clients (such as mozilla thunderbird) that will work with AOL. This would be a separate program you install on your computer just to get your mail.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:06 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
thanks RA, I thought the Google feature might be okay but never tried it.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:14 PM  

I already have a G-mail account, so when I get a chance, I will try to do what you describe...thanks!
Old 08-19-2011, 11:23 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
thanks RA, I thought the Google feature might be okay but never tried it.
I use it primarily to simplify configuration of my own equipment. I've got nearly a dozen email addresses for various purposes - work, clubs, personal, "throwaway" (to give to sites that demand a verified email address but who I never want to hear from again)...

It works great for those of us "suffering" from multiple internet personality disorder.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:59 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
I would get a gmail account and and just set all your mail from your AOSMELL account to auto forward to your gmail account.

As for canceling AOL. I called them once every two months to cancel for 3 years. Never paid a dime for AOL in three years. Then I finely got tired of it and canceled it for good. How I did it was to just stop making payments and then call them and tell them I canceled a few weeks ago and after 30 minutes of offers they finely canceled my account.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Bookmark this Page!