Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2011, 05:34 AM  
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
Do you know how "railroads" are built...this is amazing

Do you know how "railroads" are constructed..DON'T MISS CLICKING THE LINK AT THE BOTTOM

I had no idea, but I received this in an e-mail and thought I would share it...amazing what is being done "now-a-days".........
FROM THIS!

AND THIS

TO THIS!

http://dc132.file.qip.ru/flash/playe...&sharing.code=

Old 04-18-2011, 06:28 AM  

Good stuff!!

Old 04-18-2011, 11:24 AM  
Supporting Member

Here's an old "Steam Whistle", probably from an old "Shay".....been in the family for over an hundred years........my "Grandad", a RR Engineer on Steam Engines, probably held the record (or close) for the longest train of "coal" that was pulled up the "Greenbrier River" in West Virginia, had this in his tool shed before I was born.....I latched on to it, when I became old enough to know I wanted something to remember him by.....haven't seen this same whistle on an engine, and I am constantly looking.....the next to last photo, from TV, shows what it would look like in use....the last photo I took during my "College" days....there's two steam engines in the photo......one coming toward you on the left and one going away on the right.....
Do you know how "railroads" are built...this is amazing-dsc00829%3D-copy.jpg 

Do you know how "railroads" are built...this is amazing-dsc00831_fixed-1-copy.jpg 

Do you know how "railroads" are built...this is amazing-dsc00830-%3Dcopy.jpg 

Do you know how "railroads" are built...this is amazing-img_8369.jpg 

Do you know how "railroads" are built...this is amazing-two-steam-engines-new-river-gorge-circa-1950s-%3D-2592.jpg 

Old 04-18-2011, 11:54 AM  
Supporting Member

Here's a few more to go with the first post...this is the "New River Gorge", taken from the "Hawk's Nest State Park" overlook.....the last is how it looks in color.......
Do you know how "railroads" are built...this is amazing-wvit-montgomery-trains-hawks-nest-etc-%3D2592.jpg 

Do you know how "railroads" are built...this is amazing-wvit-montgomery-trains-hawks-nest-etc-014-copy.jpg 

Do you know how "railroads" are built...this is amazing-wvit-montgomery-trains-hawks-nest-etc-013-copy.jpg 

Do you know how "railroads" are built...this is amazing-wvit-montgomery-trains-hawks-nest-etc-012-copy.jpg 

Do you know how "railroads" are built...this is amazing-new-river-gorge-hawks-nest-overlook-w.va.-usa%3D%3D%3D.jpg 

Old 04-18-2011, 12:34 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
It's amazing the conditions they had to do all that in.

Rampant disease, far from home, not what I would want to do, but one of the more necessary jobs we've ever had.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:21 PM  
Supporting Member

The "Trail" mentioned in this link was the C & O Railroad, road bed that my Grandfather ran the Steam Engines I mentioned above.........they had no more use for it for the railroad, so they removed the rails and crossties and turned it into a hiking/biking trail.....this is my home country of West Virgina........

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=west+virginia+railroad+building+along+gre enbrier+river&view=detail&id=B9962F01747322B7AB43D 3492E4EF54028B1F255&first=1&FORM=IDFRIR

Here is my hometown of "Ronceverte, West Virginia".......
seems they have chosen to use most of my photos.....
check my railroad related and "Greenbrier River"
just look for "Harry W McCormack" or "teaberryeagle" under them

http://www.topix.com/album/ronceverte-wv

Here's a "Coaling Tower" where the steam engines loaded their coal hoppers at the end of the trip....
Do you know how "railroads" are built...this is amazing-railroad-coaling-tower-steam-engines....abandoned-but-landmark-ronceverte-wv%3D.jpg 

Old 04-19-2011, 05:41 PM  
fustrated genius

Amazing stuff this modern technology.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:34 PM  

Tucson, AZ
that was a cool video. thanks for sharing

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Bookmark this Page!

« Numi | a what? »