Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2011, 09:58 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
I are old

26 years ago I helped pioneer the fusion splicing of fiberoptic cable. What that was involved some Bell Labs ideas on portable splicing equipment. In reality it was two highly polished fibers being aligned by hand to a point more defined as gut instinct than science and then blasting them with enough electricity to melt & fuse glass. It was Rube Goldberg-like at best.

My engineers loved my odd gift for the task but by the first week we could tell three shifts of several operators each led to too many variables. We were looking at using the splicer on undersea cables but in time the copper phone wires all need to become glass.

A Google image search turns up all manner of unrelated images and today it was fusion splicers that look 100 years better than anything we had in "85"

Fujikura FSM-60S Single Fiber Fusion Splicer with CT-30 cleaver products, buy Fujikura FSM-60S Single Fiber Fusion Splicer with CT-30 cleaver products from alibaba.com

Fujikura FSM-60S Single Fiber Fusion Splicer with CT-30 cleaver
FOB Price: US $ 8,450 - 11,500 / Set
Get Latest Price
Port: HONGKONG
Minimum Order Quantity:
1 Set/Sets
Supply Ability: 4 Set/Sets per Month
Payment Terms: T/T,Western Union,MoneyGram,Paypal
I are old-fujikura_fsm_60s_single_fiber_fusion_splicer.jpg 

Old 09-10-2011, 07:00 AM  
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɯnɹoɟ

VA
When I saw the title of this thread I was apt to agree with you. (It takes one to know one)

Then I saw the fiber optic portion and my mind went to Roswell.

I need a nap... Damn oldness!

Old 09-10-2011, 11:14 AM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Price of those fusion heads has come down as well. I'm running a couple of Sumotomo type 39's fusion heads. Also have a couple of Riser Bond TDR's.

We do our fair share of fiber but still do more copper than fiber. So my guys still have 710 and MS2 cutter presser heads.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:43 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
I'm running a couple of Sumotomo type 39's fusion heads. Also have a couple of Riser Bond TDR's.
You're spoiled rotten, I miss the days when the engineers called fusion splicing "Black Magic"
Old 09-10-2011, 01:06 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporLung View Post
When I saw the title of this thread I was apt to agree with you. (It takes one to know one)

Then I saw the fiber optic portion and my mind went to Roswell.

I need a nap... Damn oldness!
Where did you extrapolate Roswell from glass fiber? I'll admit multiplexing single fibers into Holland Tunnel sized conduits may be the stuff of ET technology but a quick tour of the New Jersey Bell Labs Headquarters is like a visit to Area 51 complete with the cast of "Men in Black".
I are old-men-black-shalhoub.jpg 

Old 09-10-2011, 10:15 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
You're spoiled rotten, I miss the days when the engineers called fusion splicing "Black Magic"
Yep the "Black Magic" is gone. Also all the "Black Commodty" is gone or finally ringed by splicing many years after the fact from the original placing.

I don't splice fiber but my guys do. It's the few pieces of equipment that I priovide them, they have to own all their own equipment and tools otherwise. The splicer rule you know. I just know how to bid it for profit. I myself am an old copper dinosaur when it comes to splicing.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:54 AM  

O'Fallon, IL
I'm not going to lie, I have no idea what you guys are talking about... other than, "Hey! that's the guy who's head grows back in MIB!"
Old 09-14-2011, 01:20 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt21481 View Post
I'm not going to lie, I have no idea what you guys are talking about... other than, "Hey! that's the guy who's head grows back in MIB!"
You're way ahead of me then, I had to be told the MIB guy was the "Monk" (Munk?) of TV fame.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Bookmark this Page!

» Recent Threads