Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2012, 06:25 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
Windows 8

I am an IT guy as such I belong to the MSDN (Microsoft Developers Network) and I get to beta test and see some software before it is released for the public. Well I have been fiddling with the new Windows 8. All I can say is if you need a new computer better get it before win 7 goes away. Windows 8 is a Major different OS than win 7.

I really do think Win 7 is the best OS Microsoft has put out. Everyone knows how to click the start button well in win 8 when you do that the start menu takes over your whole screen and everything is laid out in tiles. I still haven't figured out how to close a single program other than ie on the thing. I can use linux, windown, OSX, android, ios all of them. I can fly through them with ease. Not win 8 it is so oddball to me.

So if you want the nice windows like XP get a computer before win 8 takes over.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:58 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Windows Vista was kind of bad, however, I personally had little trouble with it. Now I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate. Works great. Guess the next operating system they come out with one half worth a damn will be Windows 9.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:24 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
So it's like an ap menu now?

I'm happy with 7. I will be sticking with it.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:09 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
Think windows phone and that is how the new start menu looks. Both Microsoft and apple are trying to make one os that works for everything from phones to computers.

Apple and Microsoft better watch out for google. They just bought the mobile division of Motorola.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:34 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
I hope Google does.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:16 PM  
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
Have you made any phone calls with "Google"......it works, or at least it did when
calling my "land line".........

\\================================================ ========
http://www.google.com/intl/en_US/goo...l-notices.html

Quote:
Quote:
  • Legal Notices
Legal Notices

Emergency Calls

You understand and agree that Google Voice is an enhanced call management application and that Google Voice is not capable of placing or receiving emergency services calls.
Your Intellectual Property Rights

Google does not claim any ownership in any of the content that you or your callers upload, transmit or store in your Google Voice account. We will not use any of your content for any purpose except to provide you with the Service.
Google's Proprietary Rights

As between the parties, Google shall retain all right, title and interest to the telephone numbers used in connection with or provided as part of the Services.
Google has the right to restrict calls or connections to any telephone numbers in its sole discretion. These may include, but are not limited to certain geographic locations, special services numbers, satellite telephony services, and other call forwarding services.
Recording Conversations

Google Voice provides a function that allows you to record individual telephone conversations. The laws regarding the notice and notification requirements of such recorded conversations vary by state to state. You are responsible for applying the local laws in the relevant jurisdiction when using this feature.
Bill Payment

Depending on the Google Voice service you sign up to, you may be required to pay fees in connection with the Services, as stated by Google. There may be additional fees if you request a change in any Services. Depending upon the level of Services selected by you, there may be charges for calls to or from certain locations, including without limitation payphones and areas within extended calling zones. There may also be applicable charges for any special or enhanced services you use.
Users may purchase prepaid credits to be used for Google Voice services. Google will be under no obligation to offer any refunds or reimbursements for the purchase price of such prepayments. Usage of minutes is billed in one minute increments. Prepaid credits are billed at the time of purchase.
Unless prohibited by law, any outbound calling credit that you have purchased will expire six (6) months from the most recent date of use, and may not be transferred.
Gmail “Call Phones” feature

The Gmail “Call Phones” feature provides outbound calling functionality from your Gmail account, powered by Google Voice. You understand and agree that the feature is not capable of placing emergency services calls.
General

Calls placed and received to phone numbers in the United States and other countries are routed through and provided by various regulated and licensed partners.
Unless otherwise stated, the Google Voice service and the Gmail “Call Phones” feature are provided by Google Voice, Inc., a subsidiary of Google Inc.

? ?
Google Home ? About Voice ? Blog ? Help
================================================== ==============
Old 02-26-2012, 03:22 PM  
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
https://accounts.google.com/NewAccou...ogle.com/voice
Quote:

Create an Account

Your Google Account gives you access to Google Voice and other Google services. If you already have a Google Account, you can sign in here.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:36 PM  

Sammamish, WA
We skipped Vista and just went from XP to 7 a couple of months ago. IT has already determined that we will not consider 8, and I expect most corporate licensees will do the same. Looks like 8 is more of a gimmick aimed at home users.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:31 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
Not a gimmick it is just right now it is set up to be more of a tablet OS. I am hearing that once the full OS is out it will be much like win 7 but, it will be better. I don't know I always stay far away from an OS for the first year it is on the market.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Technology
Bookmark this Page!