Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Tennessee
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2010, 10:09 PM  
Curmedgeon

Max Meadows, VA
A Gatlinburg Christmas

My wife and I are old and tired...and retired. We live on retiree income which is, in effect, shrinking every day.

We are thinking of getting away for a few days over Christmas. Just the two of us, lovebirds.

We don't care for parties or big tadoos and prefer to stay away from crowds. We enjoy Christmas lights, parades, zoos, country music, scenery, good food (not fancy food), and historic sites (esp Civil War). My wife loves to read and play the slots while I am off hunting.

I am looking into things to do and places to see within a full day's drive of SW Virginia.

Gatlinburg is within our driving limit. I have surfed the Internet and found motels and some attractions that are advertising for the holidays but I would like to get some suggestions from real people.

Tell us about Christmas in the Gatlinburg area.

What will we find to do in on 23, 24, 25, and 26 December?

Old 11-02-2010, 09:46 PM  

Johnson Cit, Tennessee
It's a beautiful area with lots of lights up everywhere, Dollywood is very pretty that time of year and Dixie Stampede has a fun Christmas show. I don't know about that close to Christmas but i have been there at new years and everything is still going and busy. If you like the slots your not far from Cherokee and Harahs.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:36 PM  

Springfield, TN
Well I will have to agree with Murraywc there are lots of lights and festival things going on there in the area. You will be well pleased with the trip.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:41 PM  
Curmedgeon

Max Meadows, VA
We like lights. And I would imagine almost no crowds?
Old 11-11-2010, 07:23 PM  

Johnson Cit, Tennessee
no it will be pretty crowded
Old 11-23-2010, 11:21 AM  

Germantown, Tennessee
Agreed, it is besutiful but crowded.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:09 PM  

Gatlinburg is a great place to spend the holidays. Hope you have a wonderful time where ever you choose.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:46 AM  

Syracuse, NY
Is Christmas crazy crowded in Gatlinburg? We've been tossing around doing Christmas there as the kids usually do the in-law thing and we're alone anyway. We do not like crowds. Is Christmas as busy as it is in the summer?
Old 12-06-2010, 03:01 PM  

Nashville, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1646Buff1 View Post
Agreed, it is besutiful but crowded.
It is often a crowed place during regular tourist times, that is summer, spring and fall when the leaves are changing.

You mentioned that you didn't like crowded places. But on the days you mentioned most people will be home with family. So I expect you might get a break from the regular hordes of tourists.

(I'm just giving my honest opinion) Gatlinburg is a wonderful place, but during peak seasons don't expect to drive anywhere. There are only two main streets and so many pedestrians and cars that walking is really the only way to get anywhere within a mile. Of course there is plenty of room for pedestrians.

If you want to be near gambling then you might like it there. If you want to see some cool history and learn about the War Between the States then you'd probably like Chattanooga much better.

I'd say spend a couple of days in Gatlinburg and then drive down to Chattanooga for a couple of days. Take some of the rural highways, it's very scenic along the East TN mountains. Hwy 411 is probably a good route from Gatlinburg down to the Ocoee, then you can catch i-75 to Chattanooga.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:38 AM  

Huntington, WV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustedknee View Post
We like lights. And I would imagine almost no crowds?
hehehe, now that's wishful thinking!

No Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Sevierville is beautiful in the Holiday Season. The Christmas Parade is something to see if you're in the area. Even though I don't live there, my wife and I do go there every chance we get. We're amateur photographers and hit the woods to snap pictures of all the beautiful landscapes.

If you've never been to that area. You gotta check out a few of the restaurants. Everybody has to eat at th Apple Barn at least once on a visit to the Smoky Mountains. Its in Sevierville at Apple Valley Road. Turn at the light and you can't miss it. And a little hole in the wall place my wife and I go to is the Best Little Italian Restaurant. It looks like a dive, its small and cramped. But the food is great! It sits back off the main drag in Gatlinburg passed the space needle on the left. Try them out!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Tennessee
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.