Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Tennessee
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2010, 01:40 PM  

Russellville, AR
what is there to do in Gatlinburg and around this area in Early Nov?

Family and I have a cabin rented in Gatlinburg for a few days in early November to have some much needed down time and to spend time with each other. Also, this will be our 5 year anniversary and were going back to the same town we were in for our honeymoon, except with kiddos in tow and a mother-in-law (babysitter ).

5 years ago my wife ended up having a bad case of pneumonia and was feeling awful the whole time. This time we hope to be bouncing all over the place and even doing some hiking up in the mountains.

I was just curious if anyone knows anything else to do while were there and around that area. We'll be coming from AR so it's a good 10 hour drive and stops are welcome

Thanks!

Old 10-12-2010, 02:31 PM  

Nashville, TN
I love Gatlinburg that time of year, we usually make a trip over in early Nov. The christmas lights will be up, see Ober Gatlinburg, Mt. LeConte at dusk, The Pancake House on Airport RD for breakfast (light 8 I think) Smokey Mtn Brewery for pizza and home made brews and be sure to visit the taffy and fudge shops on the main drag. If you have time take the trip through Cades Cove and stop at the mill at the end of the loop.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:29 PM  

Parrottsville, Tennessee
I moved from one tourist trap to near another, Clearwater FL to just east of Gatlinburg. The fun stuff is off the beat'n path in my opinion. I'll make one recomendation here, look up Max Patch, do a search and you'll find plenty of info, a day trip and worth every minute of it.

Scott
Old 10-14-2010, 11:52 AM  

Chattanooga, TN
Don't go to Gatlinburg. It's just trashy Panama City Beach minus the beach. Instead go to Wears Valley and get a cabin. (Just outside of Pigeon Forge). We come from Chattanooga and go the back way through Maryville into wears Valley and never see traffic unless we choose to go into pigeon forge. Honestly id rather stay in the cabin.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:48 AM  

rock springs, wyoming
i would go to pigeon forge and check out dolly wood. I worked there for a summer. It is a pretty neat place with lots to do. you could also go for a hike or drive through the smokies.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:38 AM  

Waynesboro, Pennsylvania
Cades Cove is nice and take the trip over to cherokee NC and stop and check out Clingmans Dome on the way.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:22 PM  

Johnson Cit, Tennessee
Just look at the beauty of the mountains, Go to Pigeon Forge and shop, Go to Dollywood, ride America's largest tram to Obergatlinburg and iceskate, go to the wildlife zoo, ride go-karts, shop, eat at a dinner theater, walk through downtown at night and shop. There is more in Pigeon Forge than Gatlinburg but there is a lot of fun to be had, and don't forget the aquarium
Old 11-21-2010, 12:50 PM  

Lynchburg, VA
Never been that late in the year

My family and I have been to The Gatlinburg area a couple of times and have rented great cabins. We would love to try coming out late in the year for the lights and the snow dusted mountain views. My concern is about the roads. We drive a mini van, would we be ok out that way at that time of year, or do you pretty much have to have 4 wd?
Old 01-11-2011, 12:51 PM  

Russellville, AR
We had a great time in the Smoky Mountains in November, even got to be there for the area's first snowfall! I do wish we got to visit the Clingmans Dome as I didn't even know about that until we were headed out and I was reading brochures and pamphlets. We did one of the easier drives in the Smoky's in the Mini-Van that came out I think around light 11 or so, but depending on the snow, you would need 4x4 or at least chains to put on your rig. When we went there was an inspection set up to see if you had 4x4 or chains to go on through the smokey's towards NC at the Visitor Center.

It was a bit early for all the Christmas stuff to begin (they were setting it up when we were there), but everyone was just as friendly and the boys loved the Ripley's Aquarium!

you definitely want to bring a stroller or a backpack or wrap for your little one's, we didn't and our arms gave out when our little guy got tired! The wrap or backpack would be better if you plan on going in the shops and such as strollers are usually too big!
Old 01-12-2011, 11:40 AM  

Clarksville, Tennessee
Lots and lots of hidden trails in the mountains, great for hiking and 4x4ing.
I'll always stop by the Ripley Museum too but I love oddities.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Tennessee
Bookmark this Page!