Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2011, 07:52 PM  

San Antonio, TX
Camping in Texas State Parks

The family and I are looking to go camping this March in one of the State Parks. I'm looking at Big Bend and Garner. Is there any suggestions? Strictly tent camping. Will have a 6 year old and a 1 1/2 year old.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:23 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
I've spent some time out in Garners, I like it a lot. Plenty to do, I just wouldn't go for more than a few days.

I also know last year they started denying entrance, my inlaws had a cabin reservation though, so they got in.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:32 PM  

San Antonio, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I've spent some time out in Garners, I like it a lot. Plenty to do, I just wouldn't go for more than a few days.

I also know last year they started denying entrance, my inlaws had a cabin reservation though, so they got in.
Thanks... I was told to stay away during major holidays such as the 4th of July and Labor Day since these are usually pre-booked 6 months in advance.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:12 PM  
Jeeping Austin Weird.

Buda., Texas
Lost Maples in vanderpool (pop. 26 I think haha) is on of my FAVORITE parks ever. so beautiful in the fall but I bet spring is nice too.

TPWD: Lost Maples State Natural Area

also camping and hiking in the Fort Davis mountains.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:29 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
Thanks... I was told to stay away during major holidays such as the 4th of July and Labor Day since these are usually pre-booked 6 months in advance.
I went on the Fourth five years ago, I would never do that again, since then there attendance has gone up, so I can only imagine it's a nightmare now.

Still, it's nice.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:05 PM  

San Antonio, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I went on the Fourth five years ago, I would never do that again, since then there attendance has gone up, so I can only imagine it's a nightmare now.

Still, it's nice.
We decided on the end of March to go...
Old 03-04-2011, 08:05 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
I hope this beautiful weather holds out for you then.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:07 AM  

San Angelo, Texas
I know it's a late post to this thread since you will be going soon if not gone already. Balmorhea SP or Fort Davis SP are great choices. Fort Davis is a great area to camp, get some mountains and cooler temps along with short drives to Alpine, Balmorhea, and McDonalds Observatory. Balmorhea has a great spring fed pool to enjoy year round, a nice cooling dip in the summer.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:54 PM  
Jeeping Austin Weird.

Buda., Texas
I have been all over the Fort Davis mountains, beautiful land, and my grandpa helped build one of the telescopes at the McDonald Observatory when he was in the Navy.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:00 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexasXJ View Post
I have been all over the Fort Davis mountains, beautiful land, and my grandpa helped build one of the telescopes at the McDonald Observatory when he was in the Navy.
Is it still in use? I have a friend whose parents spend a lot of time out there.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.