Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2010, 07:32 AM  

Nacogdoches, Texas
Nacogdoches

Nacogdoches, Texas (pronounced NACK-uh-DOE-chess)
The oldest town in Texas, located in the piney woods of East Texas and surrounded by vast national forests. Even though founded in 1820 by Stephen F Austin and called the gateway from the United States to the vast Texas frontier, the Spanish established a mission here in 1716. Nacogdoches is the home of Stephen F Austin State University (SFA), named after the founder of the first permanent settlement in Texas. There are seven signers of the original Texas Declaration of Independence buried in Oak Grove Cemetery in the city of Nacogdoches. Nacogdoches also sits on the original village of the Nacogdoche tribe of the Caddo Indians. The Caddo Indians remained in Nacogdoches until early 19th century.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:29 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
I didn't know a lot of that. I had friends who had a summer home in Nacodoches but I don't remember ever going.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:55 AM  

Nacogdoches, Texas
Nacogdoches has a LOT of history! We have one house here... the Stern-Hoya house that dates back to the time of Sam Houston (and before... I believe) and it still sits on it's original stone foundation. It's a really neat house (now museum) to visit. We also have the Old Stone Fort. It was moved from it's original location and now sits on the campus of SFASU.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:10 PM  

Denton, TX
Couldn't figure out a good place to inquire about Nacogdoches, but I just wanted to see if any home brewers were there?
Old 11-23-2010, 06:53 AM  

Nacogdoches, Texas
I haven't heard of any, but I'm inclined to think that there are probably some home bewers around here.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:44 PM  

Houston, Texas
I lived in Nac for 5 years. Great town, much more relaxed than Houston. If I could find a job that paid enough, I would move there in a heartbeat.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:11 PM  

Longview, Texas
It's pronounced ...(Nasty-Roches) ... LOL j/k I went to SFA there for a year... loved the history there... just needs a better mexican restaurant...We had to drive to Lufkin and eat at Cafe Del Rio for good mexican...
Old 12-21-2010, 11:28 AM  

I used to be on ha hunting lease around Lufkin and would go to some strip club on 59 between Lufkin and Nacogdoches. I was a dive 10 years ago but was total nude.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:52 PM  

Nacogdoches, Texas
That club is still there but has changed hands a few times. Right now it's being run by some "foreigners" that may or may not be legal. I know they've been raided a number of times for suspected child "labor".
Old 12-23-2010, 09:46 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwn259 View Post
That club is still there but has changed hands a few times. Right now it's being run by some "foreigners" that may or may not be legal. I know they've been raided a number of times for suspected child "labor".
Article? Police Report?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas
Bookmark this Page!

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.