Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2010, 01:05 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Texas Holiday Traditions

I think a lot of do Mexican food on Christmas, does anyone else eat Black eyed peas on New Years day?

Old 12-16-2010, 02:20 PM  

Longview, Texas
Even though black eyed peas are horrible compared to purple... yes we do eat them on New Years...

Old 12-17-2010, 07:27 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepican View Post
Even though black eyed peas are horrible compared to purple... yes we do eat them on New Years...
I like them. I have a Great Uncle from Upstate New York, when he first saw my family eating them, he asked them why they were eating pig food.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:52 AM  

Abilene, Texas
Tamale's for Christmas, dont do the peas
Old 12-17-2010, 07:49 PM  

Waco, Texas
Love the black eyed pea's ,texmex food and anything else that's free
Old 12-20-2010, 10:41 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
So everyone is eating the same thing? Awesome.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:51 PM  

College Station, Texas
My family has been known to have enchiladas for Christmas dinner. But then we never have been traditional about it. I personally prefer turkey or ham.

Black-eyed peas are a must for new years.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:57 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon99 View Post
My family has been known to have enchiladas for Christmas dinner. But then we never have been traditional about it. I personally prefer turkey or ham.

Black-eyed peas are a must for new years.
That's what we eat on Thanksgiving.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:15 PM  

Edmond, Oklahoma
I grew up in West Texas/Eastern NM so tamales on Christmas and Black eyes on New Years was a tradition for my family as well.

One year we were sharing our Christmas tradition with a our neighbors here in Oklahoma and while eating the tamales they asked why?

I am not real sure why... but my father as he is unwrapping the tamale starts in about how the tamale is like the baby Jesus and he is swaddled (husk) and when you eat the tamale.. or baby Jesus you are eating the body of Christ. The neighbors were in awe and even told their friends about it. Wasn't until a couple years later that my Dad confessed that he had just made it all up... sure sounded good to me.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:14 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post
I grew up in West Texas/Eastern NM so tamales on Christmas and Black eyes on New Years was a tradition for my family as well.

One year we were sharing our Christmas tradition with a our neighbors here in Oklahoma and while eating the tamales they asked why?

I am not real sure why... but my father as he is unwrapping the tamale starts in about how the tamale is like the baby Jesus and he is swaddled (husk) and when you eat the tamale.. or baby Jesus you are eating the body of Christ. The neighbors were in awe and even told their friends about it. Wasn't until a couple years later that my Dad confessed that he had just made it all up... sure sounded good to me.

I'm not sure either, but like all good traditions, I do it every year without question.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas
Bookmark this Page!