Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > Transportation / Urban Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2011, 08:15 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Bixi Bikes

Do any of you folks have these yet in your cities? Or something similar?

Seems like a pretty sweet alternative to me for anyone living in an urban center who doesn't already have their own bike.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:46 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
I know some campuses have rental bikes. It's a good idea if your apartment isn't big or your building "bike friendly". Locks were bolt cuttered here recently in the theft of two bikes.

Portland has bikes unlike anything I'd heard of. Some are just bizarre but others like the front loaders are great for errands and grocery shopping.
Bixi Bikes-bikes-0801.jpg 

Bixi Bikes-cae4.jpg 

Bixi Bikes-carrier-pidgeon.jpg 

Old 05-15-2011, 03:54 PM  

Shuswap, BC
Seems like a good idea, except only people with a credit card can rent them.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:52 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Almost everyone in Montreal has at least one credit card.
Except me.
I lead a pure life
Old 05-15-2011, 06:24 PM  

Shuswap, BC
I do not use credit cards, I pay cash, or cheque, so could not rent.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:39 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
You can go into pretty well any corner store here and buy a 25 dollar prepaid card with cash.
Problem solved
Old 05-15-2011, 06:57 PM  

Shuswap, BC
Thats good to know riponredtj, if i ever really need one, i will try a corner store.
Generally everything for my businesses gets paid by company cheque, and my personal stuff in cash, so I never found a need for a CC.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:40 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCboy View Post
Seems like a good idea, except only people with a credit card can rent them.
Just get a debit card and keep under $100 on the card. I resent being forced into a plastic economy but it was structured to do just that. For years something like a Canadian fishing trip meant carrying extra cash in case of car trouble. We broke down on the dang bridge between customs stations.
The owner had checks no one would touch but I paid cash out of a concern just this might happen. Stuck on the banks of the St. Lawrence for three days was bad fishing but a great way to meet Canadians.

Don't your pilots carry a CC in case of being forced into landing at a strange airport? American Express Gold Card if you own an airplane.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:31 PM  

Shuswap, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
Just get a debit card and keep under $100 on the card. I resent being forced into a plastic economy but it was structured to do just that. For years something like a Canadian fishing trip meant carrying extra cash in case of car trouble. We broke down on the dang bridge between customs stations.
The owner had checks no one would touch but I paid cash out of a concern just this might happen. Stuck on the banks of the St. Lawrence for three days was bad fishing but a great way to meet Canadians.

Don't your pilots carry a CC in case of being forced into landing at a strange airport? American Express Gold Card if you own an airplane.
I do have fuel cards for 2 places, but not a credit card like visa, mastercard etc.
I do tend to carry a fair amount of cash on me most of the time.
I was raised to use cash not cards, and its a hard habit to break.
I pay the fuel bills with a cheque each month.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:13 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
"I was raised to use cash not cards, and its a hard habit to break.
I pay the fuel bills with a cheque each month."

I did the same for many years till I discovered renting a truck or booking a hotel room were extremely difficult with anything but a CC. Now living on minimal funds I still pay a few bills with a check but I do my rent as a bank transfer and have two small utilities deducted directly from checking. Less checks less stamps.
Groceries & day to day little stuff goes on a debit card. While people are unfolding dollar bills to feed to the robotic checkout I make 5 fast clicks & I'm gone.

In the end don't trust a bank but don't over do the caution if you need the tool.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > Transportation / Urban Planning
Bookmark this Page!