Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > Transportation / Urban Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2011, 03:26 PM  

Shuswap, BC
Its such a nice feeling when computers crash, or whatever it is causes their little machines to fail at a store.
I walk in with cash and get what I want.
Went through a small town in the kootenays once, it had 1 gas station.
and its a long ways to and from it, and it was getting late for small twns in the kootenays.
Every motorbike in the group needed gas to make our destination for that night.
We were all booked into the ainsworth hotel.
The stations ability to take plastic had failed, and it was cash only.
I was stunned when maybe 1/4 of the people had cash to fill up.
I cannot think of anything more stupid to do, than travel to an area of mostly tiny towns, and far apart at that, without cash.
Should have seen people scrambling to try and figure out what to do.
Those with rooms booked on their cards would have to pay for a room they never got to, while going to look for another place to stay.
I lent a lot of people money that night.
Since it was a group where i really only knew the people that were my friends, and many were just club members i did not know very well.
I got the names and numbers of everyone, and lent each $20, and told them they had to pay me back tomorrow, at $25 each.
They were all so thankful, and I made enough to pay for my nice hotel room that night free.
I carry a debit card, and minimum of a few thousand in cash at all times on trips.
Need a tow, repair, part, motel room, meal, gas, etc. everyone takes cash.

Its usually possible to buy an item and ask for a discount if paying cash to.
Anyone wanting to pay me by credit card pays extra, i have to pay fees and the hassle of the damn card companies, and wait for payment, so pass those costs onto the people wanting to pay with plastic.
My cash customers all get a nice discount.
I quoted a job just today, it has 2 prices on it........$38,654 if paid with plastic, or $35,140 cash. The customer quickly said "Cash it is".

Old 05-18-2011, 09:56 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
I cannot think of anything more stupid to do, than travel to an area of mostly tiny towns, and far apart at that, without cash.
Should have seen people scrambling to try and figure out what to do.
Those with rooms booked on their cards would have to pay for a room they never got to, while going to look for another place to stay.
I lent a lot of people money that night.
Since it was a group where i really only knew the people that were my friends, and many were just club members i did not know very well.
I got the names and numbers of everyone, and lent each $20, and told them they had to pay me back tomorrow, at $25 each.
They were all so thankful, and I made enough to pay for my nice hotel room that night free.
I carry a debit card, and minimum of a few thousand in cash at all times on trips.
Need a tow, repair, part, motel room, meal, gas, etc. everyone takes cash.
I certainly agree about travel in sparsely populated areas. In the Adirondacks or N. of Kingston camping I'm awash with cash cuz the bread lady and the worm/minnow man are predictably cash only.

Quote:
and lent each $20, and told them they had to pay me back tomorrow, at $25 each
You're certainly a Capitalist but then thinking ahead should be rewarded.

Carrying large amounts of cash never concerned me before because I'm aware of who is around me. Meth destroyed that. I watched a show on meth last night and learned the dopamine released by meth is far beyond anything our bodies would normally be asked to produce. It enslaves the user so their thinking becomes erratic.
About 5 years ago a meth head rode down a jogger with his pickup to mug him. Meth users really don't care. Any hint that you might be a walking ATM can get you hurt.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:38 PM  

Shuswap, BC
spread the cash out to different pockets and areas of your car/bike/truck etc.
do not advertise by puling out say 1 wad with 5,000 cash in it.
And regardless what you carry be aware of your surroundings always.

Or if worried about carrying a lot of cash, then take your plastic and carry just a hundred bucks or so, at least you have a little cash for emergencies.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:51 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
I see you're well up on multiple caches. I did the same when crossing the country.

I was once able to spot people who might have ideas about mugging or being pickpocketed. I still can if they're not high but addicts don't express much that's readable. They do fidget more than most and they sniffle if they snort.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:01 PM  

Shuswap, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
I see you're well up on multiple caches. I did the same when crossing the country.

I was once able to spot people who might have ideas about mugging or being pickpocketed. I still can if they're not high but addicts don't express much that's readable. They do fidget more than most and they sniffle if they snort.
LOL good rhyme
Old 05-19-2011, 06:09 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I don't have any credit cards, and not enough cash

My wife runs the cards and pays them off every month. We could run out and buy a new car right with all the available credit, but that would be folly!

We use them once in a while just to keep them active so we have something to fall back on in case of emergency, but they always get paid off at the end of the month.

Didn't use to be that way when I was mismanaging them.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:22 PM  
southern conservative

Austin, Texas
I'm just outside of Austin TX, they are looking to put these around town. They are talking over a million dollars to do this. The only problem is that last time they tried this all of the bikes were either stolen or broke. People would run them over just for S&G's. I don't ever see it catching on in Texas, or America for that matter. The cities are just too far apart.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:17 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I can safely say that major cities are much further apart up here

But the space between cities doesn't matter. These bikes are not meant for commuting between cities.

I saw a guy riding one of these out in the suburbs of Montreal the other day and I'm sure he was at least 5-10 miles from the closest docking station, but he looked pretty happy pedaling along the lake shore with the wind at his back.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > Transportation / Urban Planning
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.