Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2010, 03:36 PM  

tucson, az
Good Mechanics

not all of us are, so...where do yu get your work done and would you reccomend them. I'll start

PAB (Performance Aligment and Brake) installed my lift, 2d lowest bidder, follow up retorque free and installed my JKS quickers dicos free at the same time. Didn't try and sell extras and does a LOT of BP truck suspensions. I'll take any suspension problems here.

Desert Dog..need a corvette engine in that cj, double carb setup for the dunes, Dan is your guy. My personal experience with him is keeping my former 81 J10 on the road long after others refused to work on it any more, inlcuding welding a hole in a piston ect I think he is glad I sold it. Cummings did rebuild our engine but they were a real pain in the ***

Old 11-30-2010, 09:19 PM  

Southern Arizona, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsaxe View Post
not all of us are, so...where do yu get your work done and would you reccomend them. I'll start

Desert Dog..need a corvette engine in that cj, double carb setup for the dunes, Dan is your guy. My personal experience with him is keeping my former 81 J10 on the road long after others refused to work on it any more, inlcuding welding a hole in a piston ect I think he is glad I sold it. Cummings did rebuild our engine but they were a real pain in the ***

Any chance of more information, gsaxe?

I have been thinking about a new engine in my '86 CJ-7 for a long time. Lots of guys claim to be experts but admit they have never done a CJ before. Not really interested in allowing my Pride and Joy to become a Guinea Pig.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:43 AM  
Looks at dirty Jeep pics

Tucson, Arizona
I trust no one.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:50 AM  

Southern Arizona, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMcGuireXJ View Post
I trust no one.
GEE THANKS, Sean . . . I am beginning to see your point.

! ! ! ! ! !
Old 12-01-2010, 10:59 AM  

tucson, az
I trust nobody either, thus this thread....

More info on Desert Dog is that he's on west grant east of I10. Rates are reasonable. I have been going to him for over 10 years and he has shown me some of his projects inlcuding the corvette in the cj (I could have the model wrong) and the dual carb setup he put on a sand rig....I'd say pay him a visit and see whats going on. By the way he showed me the corvette engine when I was saying the 3.8 in my JK was sluggish....don't think hes a ripp supercharger kind of guy or somebody who "talks like an expert" he just does it....ridiculous franken jeep mods that is...
Old 12-01-2010, 11:41 AM  

Tucson, Arizona
I try to do most of my work myself but if it is a huge problem that I don't have the time/tools to deal with, I go to Calypso Automotive on Kleindale near Dodge. They do great work and have never tried to rip me off.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:29 AM  

tucson, az
there is a business under development along houghton across the tracks from the paintball place called "Hot Rods". You will be able to rent a bay wiht tools lift ect and if all goes well for the developer there will be a bar/restaraunt wiht a view of the bays where your friends can heckle you from.....
Old 12-02-2010, 01:25 PM  

Tucson, Arizona
^ Thats a really good idea, I'm surprised there are not more places like that.

As far as good mechanics, 1st Rock 4x4 is pretty good, they installed my lockers and built a set of sliders for cheaper than anyone else in town. They specialize in 4x4 repairs/modifications, but can do pretty much any other mechanic work you want done, cheaper than most places and they take pride in what they do.

For engine work, check out George's Cylinder Heads, they do good work for cheap, but they stay so busy that service can be slow some times, but its worth it because you will save $$$.

Avery's Auto has done some work on my parents vehicles, they seem honest with quick turnaround times and good work.

I've had good experiences with AAMCOs in another state, but never used the one in Tucson (and hopefully will never get the chance, tranny work is expensive )

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads