Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2011, 11:02 AM  
Looks at dirty Jeep pics

Tucson, Arizona
Got water?

No news on the water situation? I still have nothing - pipes are thawed, meter's warm...

Luckily, we have water stored.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:14 PM  
Looks at dirty Jeep pics

Tucson, Arizona
Okay, got a little pressure - everybody come home and shut your faucets off.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:47 PM  

Tucson, Arizona
I had to thaw pipes with my wife's hair dryer but was able to take a shower.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:12 PM  

tucson, az
we used a hair dryer and a "milk house heater" this am to thaw our exposed service pipes. will be heading to ace for pipe wrap after work. they also sell heated coils to wrap pipes with. another farm trick is that hay generates its own heat so if you have some just pile it up around your pipes (stay away from gas heaters, or any pilot lights duh). also leave a faucet dripping over night, standing water freezes faster....

heres some info from ward 6 on failed mains:

Today February 3, 2011, the Ward 6 office will be closing at 11:00 am. Overnight, one of our main water pipes burst and the office is without water until it is repaired. We are sorry for any inconvenience.

Please also be aware of the following cold weather information:

1. Water disruptions

Tucson Water has released the following statement: “Cold Weather Affecting Tucson Water Customers

Cold overnight temperatures are affecting water service throughout the Tucson Water service area. According to Fernando Molina, Public Information Officer for Tucson Water, the extreme cold has caused electronic control instrumentation at various reservoir and booster sites to malfunction, automatically shutting down pumps. Over 1000 businesses and residences have been impacted throughout the early morning hours, as work crews are being sent out to reset electronic control systems to re-establish water service to affected areas. Areas affected as of 4:30 a.m. include Corona de Tucson, Diamond Bell Ranch.

Molina stated that the outages have kept crews busy all night, but so far none of the incidents have been the result of frozen water pipes at any Tucson Water facilities. While freezing temperatures have not frozen any Tucson Water pipes, it is possible that home plumbing may be affected by frozen or burst water lines. Customers can call 791-4133 to report water outages. However, this emergency phone number will not be fully staffed until 6:00 a.m. when regular shift employees arrive at work.”

2. Be Careful Out There

The media is reporting 1 death and over 4 serious injuries from exposure. Please be careful, dress warmly and limit your time in the elements today.

Thank you,

Ann Charles

ps keep some bottled water about for flushing...brandy to stave off dehydration
Old 02-03-2011, 03:21 PM  
Looks at dirty Jeep pics

Tucson, Arizona
Tucson: where the cold tap water comes out warm...

Pool water in a bucket is good for toilets. Thought about throwing the dirty dishes and laundry in the pool. My pipes WERE wrapped; thinking about buying the warmers, but they can be forgotten. The hoses were on, frozen, but not stuck (until someone poured hot water on them). I got full pressure at about 1pm, and my wife and I had a VERY hot shower shortly after.

My buddy out in Vail had broken pipes. Bummer. I might have to stay home from work again tomorrow - running around in the cold wind sucks. Winter clothes? Whatz that?
Old 02-03-2011, 03:35 PM  

tucson, az
wrapping of course really only works for short cold snaps and hot pipes where there is heat to save. My hot and cold run paralell from the outdoor hot water heater and are exposed for about 3' before going in through the foundation. I wrap them togethter so the hot keeps the cold warm, of course the hot water has to be on for that to work. I thinkl my problem was at the service line where it comes into the house. May keep and incandescent light under a blanket on that one tonight.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:43 PM  

Tucson, Arizona
I'm just going to leave a faucet trickling overnight in hopes that the movement of water keeps the pipes clear.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:47 PM  

tucson, az
that too and I will let it fill jugs/the tub in case it doesn't work

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Bookmark this Page!