Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2010, 08:44 AM  

Tucson, AZ
How Best to Sell a Used Car in Tucson?

We're downsizing our fleet of three vehicles and wondering what is the best way to unload a late model vehicle in excellent condition without having to give it away. It's a 2005 Audi A6 Quattro fully-loaded. I've tried Auto Trader but not a single inquiry. Should I try selling it on a delaer's lot on consignment? If so, which are the best dealers for that? Thanks.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:38 AM  

Sammamish, WA
It may be different there, but. . .I have sold several cars in the recent past.

Craigslist is only good for really bad beaters where you hope to get a few hundred, because that's all people want to pay.

Autotrader gets very few responses, and the people never show up after they call

Dealer consignments will work but cuts way into the profit

The website of a large local newspaper does seem to result in lots of local
calls and even sales but is more expensive than Autotrader.

My best luck was signs in the windows and leaving it in a high-traffic area.
Just make sure there is nothing posted there like "No cars for sale, violators towed."

Old 10-24-2010, 02:31 AM  

Tucson, Arizona
+2 on the sign in the window. I've found that to just be stupid easy. It never hurts to stick the thing on Craigslist since it's free. I've been able to move some motorcycles at pretty high prices there, but that was before the economy really tanked. If you decide to go with Craiglist I would post it in Phoenix. I'm guessing that you'll have better luck with that.

I haven't had any success with the Trader since the early 2000s.

The bottom line though, is that selling a used car in Tucson often ends with you walking away feeling upset about the deal. Maybe you should try trading it for something irresponsible like a boat.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:12 AM  
"That Guy"

Tucson, Arizona
I sell everything on CL...but you're right, it's for low-ballers and cheap deals. You don't see many nicer cars.

I would second the window sign...just don't leave it out over night.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:59 AM  

Tucson, AZ
Has anyone had any experience with CarMax? I know they buy used vehicles, but I'm sure they offer a seriously low offer...

Good luck selling your car, I'll be in the same boat shortly.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:22 AM  

Tucson, AZ
Ebay Motors is a good way to sell cars too. I use Craigslist for everything, but I am cheap
Old 01-06-2011, 12:18 PM  

Tucson, Arizona
Craig's list

I absolutely disagree that Craig's List is only for beaters. Compare the recent listings in Tucson with the listings in the paper. I have sold two late model cars on Craig's List (a BMW convert and a Chrysler T&C) and got good prices for them. I have also purchased two cars from Craig's List. The most recent is a really clean Jeep Rubicon. I went up to Phoenix and had a choice of three that were exactly what I wanted. The seller got a lot more than he could have gotten from the dealer, I paid a lot less than the dealers were asking, and saved a bundle on the sales tax.

A sign in the window may work -- never tried it -- but your market is limited. People who are looking for it can't find it. I personally would never make the call without more information that is available from a sign.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:19 AM  

near Tucson, Arizona
My only experience in selling a car is craigslist, I listed my Dad's Prius, $500.00 over 'good' condition bluebook. sold in two days, had 15 or 20 phone calls on it.

Carmax will quote you a purchase price based on condition of vehicle and the auction prices for them in the area.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:34 AM  
Az hunter

tucson, arizona
Backpage.com, it's like CL.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:05 PM  

Once try www.unitedcarexchange.com, i recently sold my car here by posting ad. i sold it in less than 10 days. check it.....

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.