Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2011, 02:00 PM  

tucson, az
dang, was there flooding/weather, or is it more of a conservation thing? we'll find out. anyway I was thinking of camping in florecne so while youz mugs were driving to Fj i'd be eating bacon around the fire. either that or spending sat nighht after out there. Only so much driving the little guy can take in one day even tho I try to keep my passengers entertained with my driving style and musical stylings.....if its still on I'll be sure to let yall know beforehand whether I will meet in catalina or on trail at FJ.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:06 PM  
...slightly sane.

Tucson, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicondevil07 View Post
Rob,

I was on another forum a couple of minutes ago and somebody posted that martinez is closed. You might wanna talk to the Forest Service guys or somebody in state trust land department or whatever to verify this information.
doh, thanks for the heads-up james.

i'll get ahold of the state folks and see what i can find.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:00 PM  

Tucson, AZ
found this tonight. I got the number to the local BLM guy that is supposed to know. Turns out through this link that he might not be on the side of the 4x4er but on the side of the greenies trying to close trails.

FJ trails closure

Local club is trying to run a trail down south this sunday if you want to make that instead.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:33 AM  
Az hunter

tucson, arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
thanx rob, I'm in....was thinking about camping too eihter before or after...

rugermack...hunt sooner, call in sick and bring along some steaks I'll bring the smokey joe, unless of course you wanted to keep your job
Just realized pig hunt is over on the 20th now, may be able to go if the group can find an open trail.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:01 AM  
...slightly sane.

Tucson, AZ
i didn't get the BLM folks tracked down til after they closed up shop last night.

but based on the thread james found, ugh. looks like we are done in Martinez for the near term. saddening, a truly beatiful run that mixed a very easy trail for anyone.

oh well.

it appears box canyon is still open, at least not listed that i saw.

the main purpose of this run is an easy trail for the folks that don't want to run the tougher stuff. i'll take a deep breath and consider what seems best.

shortening the run to just be box canyon and back (still pretty but such a short run at that point)

or switching to another like chimney rock or chimney rock itself again.

the gunsight run is too easy (don't eve need 4x4), maybe i'll go try to find the fagan trail to see if that will suffice for something easy like chimney.

thoughts anyone else?
Old 01-06-2011, 11:18 AM  
Az hunter

tucson, arizona
Do you mean the Fagan trail off Sonoita highway(comes out on Coppercut rd) ? By Fagan pond ? That one isn't very long either.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:45 AM  

tucson, az
I just spoke to the BLM field ofc here in tucson (258-7200) they led me to this link for maps and the closure/road mgt plans

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial.../T03S_R11E.pdf

non blm lands are excluded from the plans so state land connector sections are not shown but are obvioulsy still open (with permit) as they are not blm. I told him I was looking to make a day in the area and recon moderate trails due to closures and needing to change our martinez plans. The guy I spoke with reccomended Price to and through Box Canyon, East to the Coke ovens and out via battle axe....he said this a may prove challneging or even prohobitive for a stock wrangler, which sounds about right to me. what say ya'll, I'll be looking through theire maps/plans since I am so busy at work....I for one would still like to go and perhaps recon some alt routes......might even have my winch on by then. The linked maps show closure pts but you need a big plotter/monitor or a lot of zooming, I'll try and make some useful large prints. more later.....

just shorten the url to get at other maps etc
Old 01-06-2011, 12:26 PM  

tucson, az
looking at the map I cannot find martinez cabin itself but notice that much of the mining actvity seems to be on fee title lands, BLM has no authority there! seems there are routes aplenty to chose from, whose still in?
Old 01-06-2011, 12:45 PM  

tucson, az
ok I found martinez cabin and battle axe on this map:

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...ly-041309p.pdf

one it looks like you can still legally get within a 1/2 mile of the cabin; am I missing something?

two, battle axe is a long long way out via 77/oracle and not going back through florence at all, looks like you'd hafta drive pretty fast to make it in a day. I did tell him I had a jeep not a buggy....well BACK TO WORK, I'll check in later
Old 01-06-2011, 12:49 PM  
Az hunter

tucson, arizona
If it works out, I'd like to go.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Bookmark this Page!

« Banned | Got water? »

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.