Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2010, 09:41 PM  

Sahuarita, AZ
Down here in Sahuarita. Cheers!

Old 12-14-2010, 01:15 PM  

Tucson, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekGunner View Post
Speaking of white ale, we enjoyed the white ale I made for thanksgiving today. It came out great, especially with a slice of orange in it. Normally I don't fruit the beer, but this time it really brought out the flavors.
I usually don't either but sometimes it really makes a difference. Did you use a known recipe or was it something you devised yourself? I have brewed Nit Wit from the book Radical Brewing before and it turned out pretty good. Thinking of reformulating for my next try at white ale though.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:40 PM  

Tucson, AZ
Hi, Tucson homebrewer here as well, I have wondered about the white ale, is it similar to a belgian wit?
Old 12-14-2010, 09:02 PM  

Tucson, AZ
By the way, do any of you attend the Tucson Homebrewers club? I just found out about it and was thinking of joining just to meet/learn from other local brewers....
Old 12-15-2010, 09:02 AM  

Tucson, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruizyeom View Post
Hi, Tucson homebrewer here as well, I have wondered about the white ale, is it similar to a belgian wit?
More or less. Like everything Boston Brewery does it is an American take-off of the style and is very good. For a more true to style Belgian Wit I would recommend Allagash Brewery's White. It is fantastic and if you find it in AZ please tell me where you found it!
Old 12-15-2010, 09:03 AM  

Tucson, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruizyeom View Post
By the way, do any of you attend the Tucson Homebrewers club? I just found out about it and was thinking of joining just to meet/learn from other local brewers....
I have been considering going. Probably will attend the January meeting to check it out.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:36 PM  

Oro Valley, AZ
So, if one was interested in home brewing, are the good beginner kits out there? What is the $ investment to get started? Probably more important to me, what is the time and space commitment?

I've probably just opened a can of worms...but thanks!
Old 12-16-2010, 10:46 AM  

Tucson, AZ
gouacats - I started less than a year ago with extract brewing only. The generic beginner kits are pretty good they will cost you anywhere from 100-200 bucks depending of how much stuff you want in it. I still brew in my beginner kit, I have only added a few things to it. In terms of space, I do everything on my stove, and got my wife to donate some cabinet space in our kitchen to store everything. Generally, the typical extract-only brewing session is about ~2-4 hours and after that it is basically waiting until you have to bottle or keg which is an extra 1-2 hours session. I will say, that I was a bit skeptical when I started about what quality of beer that would come out, and I have been very surprised at how good the stuff you can make is right from the beginning. Check this link for the overall process if you are interested: How to Brew - By John Palmer
Old 12-16-2010, 12:38 PM  

Oro Valley, AZ
ruizyeom - Thanks for the input! Does this look like a good beginner kit? It seems to have gotten A LOT of excellent reviews...
Old 12-16-2010, 11:08 PM  

Tucson, AZ
Yeah the there are two local brew shops out here in tucson. Brewers connection and Brew your Own Brew. Both are good shops and have good products. Both have starter kits from 100-200 bucks. They're pretty much the same but the 200 bill kits usually come with a secondary fermenter which really isn't needed to make a good tasting beer. It just helps with clarity and adding fruit or other items later on in fermentation. They also usually come with your first set of bottles. If you wanted to save some cash I've collected quite a bit of bottles since I've been brewing and could just give you a set of bottles for your first batch. Also those kits are generally made to start you off doing extract kits. After doing extracts for awhile you'll most likely want to spend some extra cash to start doing all-grain.

All grain can be done cheaply. I just bought two kegs off of craigslist and cut the tops off to make brew kettles, and bought a coleman cooler that I converted into a mash tun.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.