Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2010, 05:18 PM  

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Growing Your Own Hops

I was thinking of trying this next year. Anyone have any success in growing hops? Any recommendations as to which variety to grow?

Old 11-29-2010, 08:57 AM  

Tulsa, Oklahoma
hops in Oklahoma

I looked into this awhile back (obviously, I opted not to), but I did find this list:

cascade 4-7%
sterling 6-9%
mt hood 4-8%
Hallertauer 4-6%
Kent Golding 4-7%
saaz 3-6%
tettanger 4-6%
Crystal 2-4.5%
Fuggle 4-5.5%
willamette 4-6%

I hope that helps.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:36 PM  

Tulsa, ok
A friend of mine grew cascade a few years back. Grew well but he said it was more trouble than it was worth.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:46 AM  

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Well I enjoy gardening so I may give it a shot and see what happens. Hope the heat doesn't destroy them!
Old 12-01-2010, 12:01 PM  

St. Johns, Arizona
Better look into the new food safety bill that just passed. The bill limits individuals rights to grow their own food, what types of seeds they can use, or buy, and limits ability to sell any product grown that do not meet their qualifications.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:57 AM  

Tulsa, Oklahoma
That is very strange. What is the reasoning behind this bill?
Old 12-02-2010, 01:45 PM  

St. Johns, Arizona
Reasoning beind this bill depends on perspective. In one perspective it is to give the government more control of pulling contaminated or potentially contaminated foods before they reach our grocery shelves and cause us to become sick. From another perspective it provides the government control of who can grow food, how it can be grown, how it can be stored, how it can be prepared, how it can be shipped, and how sold. From this perspective it will protect some growers, while putting others out of business, thus controlling the general publics access to food and controlling the cost of the foods we are allowed to purchase. While most of the articles I have read state that this will not include businesses that make under $50,000, I could not find this exemption in the bill itself.

Frankly, I will continue growing my gardens, selling my excess, and continue to use my heirloom seeds. I understand the need to have safe foods to eat, but companies which provide unsafe foods feel the wrath of the public when we don't buy their products any more. The federal government has never been good at regulating anything, and is just another attempt at limiting our freedom to provide for ourselves. Our family will continue to brew their own beer, make their own mead, and enjoy every drop of it, as should the rest of American citizens.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:08 PM  

Polk City, Iowa, Iowa
I grow hops, have Centennial and Sterling varieties. They are planted next to my shop and are supportedby wires that run from the ground to the roof.
they grew 15' in one year. the 2nd year i produced almost a pound per plant. kind of a hassle picking the hops but they were mighty tasty in the homebrew.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:46 AM  

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Hmmm, I've never used Sterling. What are its main characteristics?

What is the weather like where you grow?
Old 12-12-2010, 07:14 AM  

Bastrop, Tx, Texas
Frankly, I will continue growing my gardens, selling my excess, and continue to use my heirloom seeds. I understand the need to have safe foods to eat, but companies which provide unsafe foods feel the wrath of the public when we don't buy their products any more. The federal government has never been good at regulating anything, and is just another attempt at limiting our freedom to provide for ourselves. Our family will continue to brew their own beer, make their own mead, and enjoy every drop of it, as should the rest of American citizens

I like the way you think.
keep growing, brewing
Roy

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.