Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Utah
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2010, 10:14 AM  

Logan, Utah
Brewing your own beer

Does any one here homebrew? I'm curious what the laws are here? Can I brew a full strength beer?

Old 09-24-2010, 02:19 PM  

Vernal, Utah, U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojojo View Post
Does any one here homebrew? I'm curious what the laws are here? Can I brew a full strength beer?
I can't answer your question, but micro breweries are on the rise, due to certain limitations being lifted within the last few years.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:55 AM  

Syracuse, Utah
From what I have heard, beer is ok, but anything else is illegal. I could very easily be wrong, don't take my word for it!
Old 10-04-2010, 12:58 PM  

Spanish Fork, Utah
Hey All,

I did some searching and found this House Bill that was signed last year.
HB51 - Utah: Exemption for alcoholic beverage manufacturing license

Down at the bottom is the exception for homebrewing.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:15 PM  

Sunset, Utah
They made it legal to brew. I think its 100 or 200 gallons per year. You'd have to be pretty serious to do more than that. As far as I know wine is ok too. They sell everything for it, but then again they sold the beer stuff before it was "legal" too.
Check out the Beer Nut on 1200 S State. They'll fill you in on all the rules.
Since you are in Logan check out a little shop in Richmond on main street. Very random for a brew store in a tiny town in the heart of mormon country but he has very reasonable prices. Less overhead that the SLC stores so he passes on the savings big time. 25-50% less than the Beer Nut.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:18 PM  

Logan, Utah
I am definitely following this thread ... I have thought about brewing my own beer and never got the time/money to get all the equipment together
Old 10-16-2010, 03:36 PM  

Orem, Utah
I brew my own and the beer nut is the only way to go. Mine usually turns out to be around 9.2% but I have had some as high as 10%. and the taste is better than what you can buy.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:28 PM  

Vernal, Utah, U.S.A.
Some of the best beer that I have ever had was from either a micro brewery or home brewed. I guess I just wanted something different from the mainstream.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:00 PM  

West Point, UT
Hey all,

I am completely new to brewing. If I were to visit Beernut they would be able to set me up with everything, correct?

Would it be best to purchase "The New Complete Joy of Homebrewing" first, then buy a kit after reading it? Not sure how to proceed.

I just love the beer at RockSlide in Grand Junction CO and am hoping to make similar beer to enjoy.

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2010, 09:00 AM  

Sunset, Utah
Just take your credit card! They'd be more than happy to help you out.
I read that book cover to cover twice before I started brewing. Its a great book, simple with just enough chemistry to help understand how to take brewing to the next level beyond following a recipe.
Check the classifieds for used equipment if you're not in a hurry. I scored two free carboys and another kit complete with brew kettles, two primary fermenters, bottles, cappers, etc for 80 bucks.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Utah
Bookmark this Page!