Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Utah
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2010, 10:34 PM  

slc, ut
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMistress View Post
They made it legal to brew. I think its 100 or 200 gallons per year. You'd have to be pretty serious to do more than that. As far as I know wine is ok too. They sell everything for it, but then again they sold the beer stuff before it was "legal" too.
Check out the Beer Nut on 1200 S State. They'll fill you in on all the rules.
Since you are in Logan check out a little shop in Richmond on main street. Very random for a brew store in a tiny town in the heart of mormon country but he has very reasonable prices. Less overhead that the SLC stores so he passes on the savings big time. 25-50% less than the Beer Nut.
i passed that last year.
shhhhh

dont tell the fuzz.

Jamie at the beer nut jokes i brew more than her.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:41 PM  

Salt Lake City
Quote:
Originally Posted by slakwhere View Post
i have been really happy with the service at the 'nut. art is kinda a crazy old man, and if you challenge his brewing ideas then you are wrong and he gets cranky.

i went in to get some kegs and hoses. he told me he uses 3' on all his tap lines. i told him i wanted 18 feet so i could do 4 lines and have longer lines to cut shorter if i have issues. he stared at me like i was speaking martian, then repeated "no, i use 3' lines".

homebrewing for about a year here in slc and loving every minute of it

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community. for everything you ever wanted to know
Haha, yeah he is pretty funny like that. But they do have some better deals than the beernut and if you are looking to get into kegging that is the place to go

Old 11-29-2010, 01:34 PM  

SLC, UT, UT
The Beer Nut is awesome.

Used to buy from Arts way back in the day. He was a bit cantankerous for my tastes.

L
Old 11-30-2010, 01:10 AM  

slc, ut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loptr View Post
The Beer Nut is awesome.

Used to buy from Arts way back in the day. He was a bit cantankerous for my tastes.

L
yeah hes not very friendly these days.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:01 PM  

West Valley City, UT
Another good way to get starter's equipment is ebay. Just research what you need first so you know what you're buying, but I got a setup worth about 300 for around 60 since the guy was desperate to get out from under it. Cheers
Old 12-02-2010, 12:38 AM  

Richfield, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by phasevariable View Post
Hi, I started brewing in Utah in 1991. There are some good homebrew shops to check out.

The original homebrew store in Salt Lake City,
Art's. ART'S BREWING SUPPLIES

The Beer Nut, The Beer Nut, Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

It looks like you will have to go to Richmond or Ogden to get supplies.

Go ahead and brew, just don't tell your Stake President.

Brad

Or anyone for that matter, friends come out of the woodwork
Old 12-02-2010, 12:59 AM  

Richfield, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by slakwhere View Post
i have been really happy with the service at the 'nut. art is kinda a crazy old man, and if you challenge his brewing ideas then you are wrong and he gets cranky.

i went in to get some kegs and hoses. he told me he uses 3' on all his tap lines. i told him i wanted 18 feet so i could do 4 lines and have longer lines to cut shorter if i have issues. he stared at me like i was speaking martian, then repeated "no, i use 3' lines".

homebrewing for about a year here in slc and loving every minute of it

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community. for everything you ever wanted to know

Art knows his business... or at least he did. When I first talked to him about 3 years ago he was trying to set me up with 3 foot lines. I didn't really have the time or money to talk to him that day. But this last season I called him again just for a used keg (the same ones he has pictured in a gigantic stack on KSL classifieds) He ended up talking me into a tower and some 5 foot lines as well as an extra grain bill (which I'd already ordered from beer nut, but it never hurts to have more) He'll talk a mess on beer nut, or probably any of his competitors. The biggest problem I run into with art is he never wants to take my card, and then have my parents pick it up when they're in the city. The second biggest problem, He'll run my phone battery dead if I call there. I suppose maybe the third is just that his website needs some work. I've considered getting a site ready and then trying to bargain with him for a few lbs of free grain before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramkeel View Post
I have been making beer and wine for many years. My wife and I just got done bottling 2 batches of wine and we have 2 more to do when they're done. then I have 2 batches of beer to do yet before christmas.

The wine and beer that you can make is much better than what you get in the store and cheaper too. IMO

there are home brew shops all over the place and online as well.

I was referred to this site from a home brew forum as a matter of fact.
There really aren't that many in Utah. I was also referred to here from HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community. It's an amazing resource for people just getting into the hobby and even (maybe even more so) advanced brewers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipapat View Post
i passed that last year.
shhhhh

dont tell the fuzz.

Jamie at the beer nut jokes i brew more than her.
I love Jamie She knows me as Dallas from Richfield I think. lol. I'm pretty sure I trash the 200 gallon mark by the end of a year. Well, maybe not the first year. Still, it's less than a batch a week, and I consumed all the proof. lol

(a batch a week I meant, I drink far more than a gallon a week)
Old 12-12-2010, 09:07 PM  

Roy, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMistress View Post
The brew store in Ogden closed. He is working out of his house or something now but you have to put in an order like a week in advance. Just as well, he was hardly around even when his hours were posted as open.
A new brew store opened up on 25th st. Union Station Fermentation.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:39 PM  

We are interested in home brewing beer and wine. We will try Brew Nuts and see what they have to offer. Also we are interested in meeting other drinkers in Utah county. Just for the social aspect of it. We just moved from Denver to Pleasant Grove UT, to be with my husbands' family. Any ideas for somewhere to hang out and meet other non-LDS types? We have only found one "sports bar" (Iggys in Orem), if you can really call it that. Seems like Sky box in south Jordan is out of business. I'm struggling for where to find friends that will be OK with me drinking wine. HELP!! Thanks
Old 12-15-2010, 11:50 AM  

Richfield, Utah
In utah county.... Just look for the trashiest bar in the county... That's where I usually find the most fun

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Utah
Bookmark this Page!