Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Utah
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2010, 09:53 PM  

Beaumont, Texas
Moving to Utah

My wife's entire family and a couple of my family members are scattered throughout Utah. I telecommute so we can live pretty much anywhere, empty nester's too.

We love the lake, fishing, Mountains, quiet and safe. Would like to live close to a City with decent shopping options.

Would love to hear some hear suggestions on Cities we should visit.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:21 PM  

Central, Utah
What's your definition of "close"? If it's 15 minutes, then you'd be looking at a 'burb of Salt Lake, Provo, Ogden, or St. George. If an hour is acceptable, you open yourself up to a huge assortment of smaller cities that might be very appealing to you.

For example, I live ~1 hour south of Provo in a city of 5,000 or so. It is VERY quiet here, yet we've got local stores where we can get most everything we need. If we want to do some extended shopping, we just run up to Provo one Saturday to hit the mall or Costco or whatever. For me it's ideal because I've got fairly easy access to any products I need (online or quick trip to Provo) but at the same time I'm comfortable letting my kids walk to school, I can be fishing at one of 3 different lakes within 20 minutes, I can ride my 4 wheeler to the grocery store, I've got amazing camping opportunities a few miles up the canyon (people from "the city" come down here on the holidays to camp), etc.

Do you ski? If so, you might enjoy being closer to the resorts outside of Provo or Salt Lake City.

Do you hate the snow? Maybe you'd prefer to be farther south toward St. George.

Tell us a little more about yourself and I'm sure we could suggest some areas to check out

Old 09-23-2010, 03:31 PM  

Layton, Utah
If you want a smallish town but still have shopping centers and such I suggest Layton, not just because im here, but we are a little ways away from Salt-lake, but we still have shopping centers (Layton Hills Mall, Walmart, Samsclub, tons others) Theres entertainment (like 5 different movie theaters in/near layton), Speed street(Gokarts) Your right by the mountains so you can hike, theres a few ponds to fish at, There are tons of shops and stuff, but yet were still small.. IF you want small town (less than 2k population) you can go up farther North, Mantua. Its in a canyon, its really small, theres still a store, great community(everyone knows everyone) theres a Resevoir to fish/boat in. ride 4wheelers around and such, and you can drive 20 minutes to get to the Logan mall, and places like that..
Old 09-24-2010, 02:27 PM  

Vernal, Utah, U.S.A.
It all depends on how far you want to live from the big city. I live in Vernal, tucked away up in the N.E. corner, by Dinosaur National Monument. Vernal is bout 180 miles to the east of SLC.

We have three grocery stores, several reataurants, K-Mart, WalMart, The Big Three auto dealerships, Lowe's (although they are my competition), Bealls, and CalRanch. We're not big, but we're not that small either. But I have to admit, winters are brutal here. Sometimes we don't get above zero degrees for two or more weeks straight.

We have the PBR roll through town every year. We also host the Mud Drags and the Demolition Derby, among other things. We also have the various motorsports venues at the Buckskin Hills Complex. I have lived throughout many cities in Colorado, as well as other states, but I like Vernal for having what I need to live and enjoy for my type of entertanment, and that is hiking and four wheeling.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:52 AM  

Syracuse, Utah
If you don't mind the snow, and you can afford it; Park City is pretty sweet. More expensive than the some of the other suggestions, but plenty of shopping, the outdoors, and small enough to not feel like the big city.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:24 PM  

Vernal, Utah, U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwashua View Post
If you don't mind the snow, and you can afford it; Park City is pretty sweet. More expensive than the some of the other suggestions, but plenty of shopping, the outdoors, and small enough to not feel like the big city.
I am not a shopper, but I found that the Factory Outlet stores were competitively and/or decently priced. I have a few kids so my wife and I look for deals anywhere we can.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:33 AM  

Woburn, Massachusetts
I used to live in Cottonwood Heights in SLC. Great place and you can drive up into Little and Big Cottonwood Canyons. Just beautiful and very common to see Moose!
Old 10-06-2010, 09:25 AM  

Vernal, Utah, U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletOrangeman View Post
I used to live in Cottonwood Heights in SLC. Great place and you can drive up into Little and Big Cottonwood Canyons. Just beautiful and very common to see Moose!
To add a little note for trivia or other useful (or useless facts) all of the stone used in the LDS Temple was quarried from Little Cottonwood Canyon. At that time, the stone was trucked in by teams of oxen pulling heavy duty wagons. I am not a member of the LDS religion as of yet, but I thought that this building was still an impressive sight.
Salt Lake LDS (Mormon) Temple
Old 10-07-2010, 02:45 AM  

Roy, Utah
I live in Roy now and grew up in Layton. Lived here all my life and love it I would sugest moving to Weber county over Davis because taxes and vehicle regulations are a little more relaxed in Weber. I do have to say you may find a better job in SLC but I personally cant even stand to drive through that $#!+ hole. Whatever you decide Welcome!!
Old 10-10-2010, 11:24 PM  

Sunset, Utah
Summit Park
Snowy but only 20 minutes to SLC or Park City. Lakes and skiing close by

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Utah
Bookmark this Page!