Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Utah
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2011, 05:45 PM  

Chicago 'Burbs, Illinois
St. George???

Hope you don't mind if I try to "fire up" this thread again.

The wife and I have driven through St. George a few times on our way out of Vegas. I often mentioned that it was a lovely spot and might be a place we could relocate to in years down the road. "Down the road" has arrived.

Recently we were in/around Sedona, AZ and began looking at homes. While pricey, the time is right to make a nice purchase. We also have considered Prescott, AZ. We like the climate of those places. They have plenty of sunny days. Prescott will have snow (which I really don't want). Cold DAYS will be minimal. Plus, I am not a big fan of the wells/septic systems in and around Sedona since it's basically I've been told it's basically "you never know."

The wife somewhat nixed the Sedona area since she will needs a more urban area (spelled MALLS). There are some beautiful homes for sale in the St. George area right now. Everything I read online steers me towards St. George. The climate is pretty much what I am looking for. It is close to Vegas. There are plenty of local activities.

I know she isn't to keen on the local critters which she might run into, but, at least I won't have to make her shovel anymore snow!

FYI, we both are high school teachers in a Chicago suburb getting reading to enjoy retirement. Not this year, but soon enough.

Any hints, tips, comments would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:39 PM  

St George, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie33 View Post
Any hints, tips, comments would be greatly appreciated.
We moved to St. George after retiring a couple of years ago. I lived most of my life in Northern Utah, but moved here after spending the last 20 years in the Pacific Northwest.

We moved here for the sunny climate, proximity to shopping, clean, low property taxes, and a conservative (law abiding) political atmosphere. On all counts, we are happy with our choice.

By far, the biggest attraction of this area is the year-long outdoor activity. The surrounding deserts and mountains provide unlimited exploring activities, and there is good fishing and off-road places too. We are a couple of hours from the entertainment at Las Vegas, and have a lot of pine forest and alpine lakes within a short drive. We live in a very quiet neighborhood within a few minutes of 2 malls, a Walmart, Costco, Best Buy, Home Depot, Lowes, Sportsman's Warehouse, etc.

I like Prescott and Sedona also, but I prefer the climate and surrounding country here in St. George. Others may like the trendiness of Sedona more.

Even during the heat of the summer, when the days are often above 100, the evenings and early mornings are comfortable. The key to being comfortable here is to stay in rythm with the weather. Mountains are close enough to escape to temps in the 70's for camping.

In the winter, we have the deserts to the south that have sunny days in the 50's even in January and February. Death Valley is within a 5 hour drive and has great winter camping.

Gil

Gil

Old 04-10-2011, 06:42 AM  

Chicago 'Burbs, Illinois
Gil,

Many thanks on taking the time to post!

We currently live in a area which sounds similar to you as far as proximity to all the "important" things. I can walk to the grocery/market if need be. It is 15/20 minutes to the mall/Costco/Walmart/Target, etc.

I have read to stay away from areas near the river for fear of flooding. Are there areas to steer clear of, and areas which I might be attracted to?

We are still open to the idea to the HOA option. I know it is gonna to be HOT in the summer months. It gets hot here in Chicago with the humidity to boot. So I am thinking of a pool. Whether I get one for my house, or one as a community pool I have yet to decide.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:09 PM  

St George, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie33 View Post
Gil,

I have read to stay away from areas near the river for fear of flooding. Area there areas to steer clear of, and areas which I might be attracted to?.
Washington Fields had some flooding in the horse pastures, but no homes were flooded here, and we had a "20 year flood" this year. The town of Rockville was evacuated because they feared a dam break, but it never happended. A couple of homes downstream from St. George in Nevada were washed out, and that made the national news.

There are lots of nice areas around here. It all depends on what type of area you prefer to live in. Also, there are real bargains on existing homes, many with pools.

Quote:
We are still open to the idea to the HOA option. I know it is gonna to be HOT in the summer months. It gets hot here in Chicago with the humidity to boot. So I am thinking of a pool. Whether I get one for my house, or one as a community pool I have yet to decide.
Our neighbors are selling a beautiful home with a nice pool and outdoor living area. Last I heard, they were asking about $180,000. There are lots more bargains here, as we are tied to the California/Nevada markets so our prices have dropped a lot in recent years. Get a realtor here and check it out.

Gil
Old 04-13-2011, 08:50 AM  

Chicago 'Burbs, Illinois
Again, thanks!

Wife has made a "wish list."

Will be looking at homes Memorial Day weekend. Also driving over to Prescott to check that out as well. Have seen many homes (w/pools) which we like. Some in St. George some in Washington area. Realtor is set and ready to go. Hope he is ready for my wife!
Old 09-16-2011, 11:47 AM  

I like Utah because it is a very safe community. Also, it is not a bad place to live, the people are very friendly.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:16 PM  

Utah
I'm interested in knowing where you ended up deciding to move!?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Utah
Bookmark this Page!